Community Forum

Blast tier getting only 50mbps

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Frequent Visitor

Blast tier getting only 50mbps

I'm only getting 50mbps when I'm supposed to be getting around 250mbps. After calling comcast, a technician was sent to my house yesterday, the first thing he said is, he can't do much because my equipment is not theirs, but he tried to see why I wasn't getting the speeds, after several tries, he suggested to get a new device and he guarantee that I will be getting the speeds I was paying for, so I bought the Arris Surfboard SBG6900 as suggested by him, well, guess what, I'm still not getting the speeds, I'm getting downloads 47 to 50mbps, but my uploads improved a lot about 37.

Frequent Visitor

Re: Blast tier getting only 50mbps

I wasn't finish writing the post. If I hooked my computer through ethernet I get speeds up to 90mbps, but I want wifi, so I can move around.

Before switching to Arris Surfboard SBG 600, my equipment was Netgear cable modem  CM500 and my router NetgearAC1900, and my download speeds 50mbps and my uploads around 11mbps. 

I would like some help because it seems to me that changing equipment didn't improve my internet, I'm still not getting the speeds I'm paying for.

Should I return the Arris and stay with Netgear? Any help/advice will be much appreciate it.

Frequent Visitor

Sorry, I meant Arris Surfboard SBG 6900

Frequent Visitor

We have the Comcast Issued ARRIS TG1682G Modem/Router. I'm already on my 3rd one in less than 1 year, the first one they gave me I honestly think was used, as a matter of a fact I think it was actually made by Motorola but looked identical to the Arris I have now. Comcast mandated we return our old Arris Modem (I forget the model #)... but we had the old modem plugged into a Netgear Wireless Router that did the trick, but the WiFi was shotty throughout the house.

Regardless, our 1st Arris (or Motorola) broke within a week after they tried to push an update to it or something, I remember this because I remember receiving an email about expecting "Modem Updates" earlier that month.... I went back, they gave me the proper Arris TG1682G, that unit broke within 2 months (it kept power cycling on and off same as the 1st mentioned above).

We are on our 3rd modem which has been great, the WiFi is great throughout a majority of our small house, but our WiFi is just a DEAD zone in our kitchen. Everyone states it's because of the electronics, microwave, dishwasher, fridge, etc.. I have no idea. All I know is I can take 2 steps out of the kitchen and get 300mbps downstream via WiFi. 2 Steps into the kitchen and I am lucky to get 20mbps downstream, which stinks because the girl at the Comcast store told my wife to return her cable-box and buy a Roku (to save on the monthly rental fee).

BAD idea! The Roku w/  the Xfinity Stream App is actually really cool despite still being in BETA, but the Comcast Rep at the store should have NEVER recommended that... because with the shotty kitchen WiFi the Roku kept disconnecting during Live TV, and we have to reboot the Roku EVERY time we go to watch TV, and sometimes lose signal mid viewing.

The current modem has been great, I am still trying to figure out how to beef up our WiFi signal in the kitchen, but we may just be stuck with the box + rental fee because it's unbarable trying to teach non-tech savvy individuals these little tricks like rebooting, system updates, reconfiguring the WiFi, trying to explain why the WiFi signal is so bad... I've been an IT technician (not for Comcast) and I do NOT have the answers!

I keep our 3 main PC's hardlined in, and not one of them gets the advertised 300mbps down, each computer gets roughly 90-100mbps down / 10-20mbps up. I was able to get 300mbps down while connected with the ethernet cable ONCE, and that was 2 days ago when I ran a new line to my PC... then it went back to 90-100mbps. I could understand the PC, Windows, or the modem possibly throttling each Ethernet Port so that 1 PC does not hog all the bandwith.. but I do not have the answers.

I would make sure to visit a Corporate Comcast Store, not one of the smaller Retail ones (if they exist like other companies)... and make sure to ask them for their newest modem/router, maybe tell them your experiences and frustrations... you should certainly be getting more over your WiFi, because I do... SpeedTest Ookla gives me 300mbps downstream via WiFi over my Cellular device and one of our laptops if it's in the proper room. But like you, all our hardlined PC's are seemingly capped at 100mbps downstream.. I have no idea what the reasoning is!

Expert

@sevillana wrote:

I wasn't finish writing the post. If I hooked my computer through ethernet I get speeds up to 90mbps, but I want wifi, so I can move around.

Before switching to Arris Surfboard SBG 600, my equipment was Netgear cable modem  CM500 and my router NetgearAC1900, and my download speeds 50mbps and my uploads around 11mbps. 

I would like some help because it seems to me that changing equipment didn't improve my internet, I'm still not getting the speeds I'm paying for.

Should I return the Arris and stay with Netgear? Any help/advice will be much appreciate it.

Sounds like you have an underlying issue outside the actual modems being used.

Start here, and if you still can't fix the problem, come back and post the information requested in this post

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!