Community Forum

Bandwidth cap

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

New Poster

Bandwidth cap

I was messing around with My Account and was looking at the bandwidth meter. We are only six days into our billing cycle and we have already exceeded our 250gb "bandwidth cap." The problem is we only casually surf the web and do e-mail and the ocassional xfinitytv.com. Two months ago we bought a router and I never set up the security on it. After going into our DHCP clients table for wireless I noticed 11 piggybackers, mainly the neighbors. I have added security etc and kicked everyone out.

My question is, since I have already exceeded the cap, and will continue to do so will I get one of these customer assurance calls I keep hearing about for my "excessive" usage? If so will it make any difference if I tell them it's because of the freeloaders. I know it's my fault by not securing the network but cmon really? we don't even come close to the cap except for these last two months.

Thanks!

Silver Problem Solver

Re: Bandwidth cap

Don't know if it will help, but it seems worthwhile to make the case.  I think they are more interested in droppping the hammer on habitual/Hard Dore folks than they are in messing with someone who has been taken advantage of.

How fare over did the pirates take it before you got it locked  up?

New Poster

Right now I am sitting at 261gb previous month 180 and two months ago like 80gb

Silver Problem Solver

If you only went over on the one month and you have it locked down now hopefully you will be OK.

Silver Problem Solver

They don't come after everyone who is over the limit. They can.

Silver Problem Solver

The first time you go over the cap, you're just given a warning. You have to repeat it a second time within 6 months to be subject to possible account suspension. Since you fixed the problem, you should be safe from this.