Community Forum

Bad upstream connection - Started 05/01

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Contributor

Bad upstream connection - Started 05/01

Hello,

I am a comcast customer in the Indianapolis area. My Internet plan Extreme 150 Internet with Unlimited Data Option and my equipment is an Arris SB6190, my PC is wired directly for testing and my router is an Asus RT-AC3200 (not plugged duyring testing).  My physical connection starts at the pole, there is one split there at the bottom I belive, goes underground to my house and in the box there is one split there and then goes around the house, goes in the wall and there is a slit there and then goes right into the modem. 

I stream to twitch 5 days a week without any major issues until last night when I was unable to stream because my connection, my upstream, is not stable enought. The day before and everyday before for the past months has been great.  Last night was pretty bad, was lost around 19% of frames due to dips on my upstream, I ran a test and I had a few incidents, this morning I ran a test for 1hr and i was not bad but not as good as it usually is and I am running a test right now and it is horrible.  I am constantly hitting kb/s:0 for my speed, 36% lost frames due to not being able to upload.

The server that I try to access is the Chicago server and I also tried the NY, Atlanta and Miami servers.  Since they all were equal or worst I kept trying the Live-ord.Twitch.TV Chicago server.

My modem data right now is:

Startup Procedure
Procedure Status Comment
Acquire Downstream Channel   Locked
Connectivity State OK Operational
Boot State OK Operational
Configuration File OK  
Security Enabled BPI+
DOCSIS Network Access Enabled Allowed  

Downstream Bonded Channels
Channel Lock Status Modulation Channel ID Frequency Power SNR Corrected Uncorrectables
1 Locked 256QAM 24 657.00 MHz -0.20 dBmV 38.61 dB 0 0
2 Locked 256QAM 1 519.00 MHz 0.40 dBmV 38.98 dB 8 0
3 Locked 256QAM 2 525.00 MHz 0.40 dBmV 38.98 dB 0 0
4 Locked 256QAM 3 531.00 MHz 0.40 dBmV 38.98 dB 11 0
5 Locked 256QAM 4 537.00 MHz 0.30 dBmV 38.98 dB 13 0
6 Locked 256QAM 5 543.00 MHz 0.30 dBmV 38.98 dB 13 0
7 Locked 256QAM 6 549.00 MHz 0.10 dBmV 38.61 dB 0 0
8 Locked 256QAM 7 555.00 MHz 0.10 dBmV 38.98 dB 0 0
9 Locked 256QAM 8 561.00 MHz 0.00 dBmV 38.61 dB 0 0
10 Locked 256QAM 9 567.00 MHz 0.00 dBmV 38.61 dB 17 0
11 Locked 256QAM 10 573.00 MHz -0.10 dBmV 38.98 dB 0 0
12 Locked 256QAM 11 579.00 MHz -0.20 dBmV 38.98 dB 0 0
13 Locked 256QAM 12 585.00 MHz -0.30 dBmV 38.61 dB 0 0
14 Locked 256QAM 13 591.00 MHz -0.10 dBmV 38.61 dB 0 0
15 Locked 256QAM 14 597.00 MHz -0.10 dBmV 38.61 dB 0 0
16 Locked 256QAM 15 603.00 MHz -0.10 dBmV 38.61 dB 0 0
17 Locked 256QAM 16 609.00 MHz -0.50 dBmV 38.61 dB 0 0
18 Locked 256QAM 17 615.00 MHz -0.60 dBmV 38.61 dB 0 0
19 Locked 256QAM 18 621.00 MHz -0.70 dBmV 38.61 dB 0 0
20 Locked 256QAM 19 627.00 MHz -0.30 dBmV 38.98 dB 0 0
21 Locked 256QAM 20 633.00 MHz -0.40 dBmV 38.61 dB 0 0
22 Locked 256QAM 21 639.00 MHz -0.40 dBmV 38.98 dB 0 0
23 Locked 256QAM 22 645.00 MHz -0.30 dBmV 38.61 dB 0 0
24 Locked 256QAM 23 651.00 MHz -0.10 dBmV 38.98 dB 0 0

Upstream Bonded Channels
Channel Lock Status US Channel Type Channel ID Symbol Rate Frequency Power
1 Locked ATDMA 90 5120 kSym/s 30.40 MHz 38.75 dBmV
2 Locked ATDMA 91 5120 kSym/s 24.00 MHz 37.75 dBmV
3 Locked ATDMA 89 5120 kSym/s 36.80 MHz 39.50 dBmV

Current System Time: Wed May 02 17:57:07 2018

The images are from twitch inspector.  The first one is how a normal stream behaves and has behaved for almost as long as I can remember, very good, no dips. Overal great quality connection.  The second one was May 1st at night, a lot of dops, the 3rd was today in the morning and was a decent quality but not good and the last one is the one I did just now, you can see how bad it is with a lot of dops and the red lines are recorded as insidents.

I called CS and they blamed my modem.  And schedculed a Tech, came over here to see if anyone knew of an issue that can happen from one day to the next and a difference in connection quality in different times of the day.  

Thanks

01_normalday.png
02_may1night.png
03_may2morning.png
04_may2evening.png
Expert

Re: Bad upstream connection - Started 05/01

Your power levels are fine. I'd suspect the modem too. Smiley Sad

https://www.dslreports.com/shownews/The-Arris-SB6190-Modem-Puma-6-Chipset-Have-Some-Major-Issues-138...

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Contributor

If it is the modem I am totally cool with that.  I acutally prefer it to be my modem because I have control over that.  In the past in my hood, we had issues that lasted 2 years and it was a power issue with the upstream.  

I called Arris and the agent told me that my power levels for upstream were low.  They said "the upstream need to be maximum +51 dBmV  and minimum 45 dBmV" (looked that up in the transcript).  I will see when the tech gets here and see what he says. And they refred me to this article for my c hannel type http://arris.force.com/consumers/articles/General_FAQs/SB6190-Cable-Signal-Levels/?l=en_US&fs=Relate...

Contributor

Third week.  New modem (motorola mb8600) and same issue.  2 techs, one charge for visit of course.  It seems like very year but last year I have had problems with my upstream.  

The last tech told me this area is known for having issues and I mean, I know becasue for 6 years almost every year I have had to call for bad upstream issues that last for weeks to months and I am now in contact with the thirs Technical Operations Supervisor in my area.

I know this is a comcast forum but, if my area is going to keep having this issue and comcast just patches it until it happens again, do you think I should switch to ATT ?  ATT has fiber to their box and to homes they have dedicated lines for each house in my area and I am only 700ft away from their box.  Fiber is still not coming to my neighborhood but they are getting pretty close (talked to a tech that showed me their construction chart) but tbh it is anyone guess.  

I am just tired of calling, customer service telling me they do not see any work or issues on the area, then I belive them of course, I get charged and get in contact with the supervisor that tells me there was some work dont in my area, realized I was lied to by Customer service, call to get the $60 charge removed.  I spend so much time on the phone it is like a part time job.  And Comcast never proactivly credits me for the bad service or tech vist charges.  Sorry for the rant.

So, what do you guys think ? 

Expert

Humm, bummer. Smiley Sad

I've asked an employee to check the CMTS for real-time and historical RF signal reports from your modem. They can also check your local node/plant for any degradation or error reports. You can expect a reply in this thread. 

FYI: They owe you a $20 credit for every tech visit after the first for the same problem. You can also get a credit for your service from the time you first reported the issue until it is resolved.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Contributor

At this point the owe me way more than $20.  If you saw my history, it would blow your mind.  But Comcast should proactivly credit a customer for this and they proactivly blame your modem so you rent one from them and charge you visits when they are an invalid charge, the first tech never found and issue on my wire or modem.  The second didnt find issues either.  The Technical Ops Supervisor told me on his email reply that there was work being done in my area, one thing Customer care never once told me.  But they charged me, even if it was not my fault.
This is no the first time either.  Comcast has been to my house numeros times and not once has been my wiring or my equipment.  The same problem, horrible upstream and it lasts for weeks, not a single credit unless I call.  Plenty of charges if I don't call to have them taken out.

What do you think of my ATT question ? I am tried of having to call, I just want reliable service, not being lied to when I call and honest customer service telling me 'there is an issue on your area and we are working on it, we don't know when it will be fixed' that is all I ask for. 

Contributor

And I just called in to check on the $20 credit for the second visit.  The agent didn't know what I was talking about, but he gave me a $10 credit for 'my problems' and being a loyal customer.
They still owe me for the time my service is not working properly but I will call for that once the Supervisor and his tech figure this one out.  I'll probably have enought credited to care of the ETF id I decide to swith. 

EDIT:

While this was going on.  I was running an upstream test. Here is how my connection looks for 1hr of upstreaming tonight.

Untitled-2.png
Official Employee

Hello makkusu, I do see that you have a tech scheduled to come out and repair this issue for you. I will reach back out to you once the work order is completed to make sure this gets taken care of for you. Have a good day.

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Official Employee

Hello makkusu, I wanted to touch base with you to see how everything went with our technician. Did we get your issue taken care of?

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Contributor

The service seems to be back working properly now.  Thanks

@ComcastAmir wrote:

Hello makkusu, I wanted to touch base with you to see how everything went with our technician. Did we get your issue taken care of?

Official Employee

makkusu wrote: The service seems to be back working properly now.  Thanks

That is great to hear, i am glad that we were able to get this taken care of for you. Have a good day.