Community Forum

Attempting to get a .gov and they keep rejecting the DNS Nameserver

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Official Employee

Re: Attempting to get a .gov and they keep rejecting the DNS Nameserver

If your department is setting up a .gov domain, the dotgov.gov folks (the registrar for .gov) want the authoritative name servers from which you will be publishing all of the DNS records for the zone.  The DNS servers you see when you look at a computer's network configuration or your Comcast cable modem are the recursive resolvers that look things up for you using DNS authorities from across the Internet.  Both authoritative (publishing) and recursive (lookup) are DNS servers, but opposite ends of the DNS ecosystem.

So, this is a business question, and only a Comcast business question if your department gets its Internet connectivity through Comcast.  In short, you will have to use authoritative DNS servers that are provided with your network connectivity, are provided under separate contact, those you set up yourself, or those of a parent or sibling department or agency within the government that you are permitted to use.

Expert

Re: Attempting to get a .gov and they keep rejecting the DNS Nameserver

If you're a business class customer, you need to be posting in the business class forums. This is for residential services.

I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.

If you'd like information about the Expert program, you can find it here.
Highlighted
New Poster

Attempting to get a .gov and they keep rejecting the DNS Nameserver

Our Department is attempting to set upa .gov domain address. When we attempt to answer the registration question for the nameserver it keeps getting rejected. I have tried our local network DNS address the DNS address found in the comcast router and al have been rejected.