Community Forum

Assigning a second IP address to an Arris SB8200

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

New Poster

Re: Assigning a second IP address to an Arris SB8200

Thank you.    Driving me crazy over the last several days even after contacting Comcast Support.

Diamond Problem Solver

Guess that you're in one of those local franchises that does not offer it.

Silver Problem Solver

Xfinity Internet.jpg

I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Diamond Problem Solver

@RobertWy wrote:

Not found on my rate card; what do I look for?

Under the Xfinity Internet category;

"Additional IP Address"

Screenshot.png

Silver Problem Solver

@duncanc93 wrote:

So after hours between contacting Xfinity, Arris and researching this issue I was finally able to get it resolved and have a sencond IP address added to my account. If it shows that it is available in your area using this link

https://www.xfinity.com/support/rate-card/

Go to to your local xfinity office to have them add it to your account. It was my last ditch effort and within 5 minutes I had an extra IP address for my second ethernet port to work. Was an extra $6.95 a month (for my area) which after this long drawn out adventure I would of gladly paid $20 for it.

Hope this helps Smiley Happy

Not found on my rate card; what do I look for?

I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
New Poster

So after hours between contacting Xfinity, Arris and researching this issue I was finally able to get it resolved and have a sencond IP address added to my account. If it shows that it is available in your area using this link

Go to to your local xfinity office to have them add it to your account. It was my last ditch effort and within 5 minutes I had an extra IP address for my second ethernet port to work. Was an extra $6.95 a month (for my area) which after this long drawn out adventure I would of gladly paid $20 for it.

Hope this helps Smiley Happy

Expert

Just wanted to say if the only diagnostic use you are going to use it for is signal stats if you had a problem you dont need to get a second ip. For example, if youre internet is slow behind your router (192.168.1.1) and you wanted to check the modem stats, you can go to 192.168.100.1 right from any connected device.

Highlighted
New Poster

@jweaver

Thanks for the links, this is exactly what I needed!

New Poster

@nerdburg

It is indeed what I need. Only one port is usable at a time without a second IP address, according to Arris' own documentation.

I need a direct line from the modem concurrently active with a line to the router, for diagnostic purposes.

Expert

I dont believe anyone is allowed to use the other ports on modems like the SB8200 and MB8600 currently allowed unless if having another IP.

Look at this link and see if an additional IP is available for your area.

Another link for reference:

http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Your-Home-Network/SB8200-Ports/td-p/2915827

Expert

If a second residential IP is available (it's not in many areas), it's about $7/month.  But I don't think that's what you really need. Aren't both ethernet ports already active? Why wouldn't you just plug into the router?

I am not a Comcast employee, just a moderator. Pls observe Wheaton's Law.
New Poster

Assigning a second IP address to an Arris SB8200

After spending 3 hours speaking to 12 scripted reps, I am trying my hand here for someone who can help me out.

I have an Arris SURFboard SB8200 cable modem. I would like to be able to make use of both ports, so one of the ports can be used as a direct line, and the other fed to a router. My understanding is that this requires a second IP address to be assigned to the modem. I would appreciate if a Comcast rep could tell me:

A: Whether this is possible under a residential plan in my area.

&

B: How much this would cost.

Thanks.