Community Forum

Arris SVG2482AC Wireless Slow

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

New Poster

Arris SVG2482AC Wireless Slow

I purcahsed an Arris SVG2482AC to support phone service. I had no problems activating it. The wireless is however very slow. I get about a third of my 100 Mbps speed. I have not seen any complaints about speed on the Best Buy reviews. I disabled the Arris wifi and connected my D-Link DIR-880L. With the D-Link, I get over 100 Mbps download. Has anyone else had speed problems with the Arris SVG2482AC?

New Poster

Re: Arris SVG2482AC Wireless Slow

I've had exactly the same experience.  With my five-year old SBG6580 I routinely got over 100 MBPS testing on Ookla.  With my brand new SVG2482AC only around 30 MBPS!  So I used some other speed test sites and got pretty much the same result.  Finally I used the Xfinity speed test site and it claims speeds approaching 300 MBPS...  I miss Net Neutrality already!

Frequent Visitor

I'm sure the little booklet that came with your Arris modem explained about the wifi. .. If not, there's a ton of info online. Because it doesn't sound to me like you're doing your 'wireless' speed test on the 5GHz network, at all. So, give it another test once you connect to it.
New Poster

I ran speed tests on both 2.4 and 5Ghz. Same results. I even have a TP link antenna wireless adaptor on the computer. I am now running it in bridge mode to my D Link router and am getting the speed I need.

Thasnks fpr your help

Regular Contributor

Not sure if the gateway is doing any steering or adventurous wireless technologies that don't really work but, I would start with disabling the 2.4 network and running a test.  Even plugging in an Ethernet cable and testing directly would either confirm or deny it's a gateway issue or not.  If your testing directly shows the rated speed you're paying for then it's the WIFI side of it.  If testing with only the 5ghz network enabled still produces the slow speeds then try changing the channel it's on.  If all else fails then put it in bridge mode and buy a router.  Or if it's newly acquired return it for a refund and order a different device.

Expert
Authorized Vendor

That doesnt sound right but make sure your testing both WiFi and Ethernet to get a correct sample..  At my in-laws I was getting 255 on ethernet and 240 on WiFi..

-------------------------------------
Network Engineer, IP Engineer, Docsis..; the views expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer..

Gamer.. Living the dream one catastrophe at a time Smiley Happy ..
New Poster

I had the same issue when both 2.4G\5G were enabled and the download speed was averaging either 5MB or just under 18MB. I called Comcast 2 days ago  and they sent 2 reset signals to get it working again (100MB+ download) However, the issue reared it's ugly head again today, less than 18M download, upload was fine 10MB+. I called Comcast and they told me to contact Arris. I tried resetting\rebooting the modem several times, changing the 5G channel, disabling 2.4G leaving just 5G enabled, but the only way I could get it to consistently work was to disable 5G, leaving just 2.4G enabled and I increased the bandwidth option to 20/40. I'm also using the "recommended" encryption level. It works fine connected via CAT5 cable, so something is up with the 5G stack, not sure what, but I'm also using one of the latest wifi cards (TP-Link Archer T9UH), which when connected to 2.4G has a rate of 450Mbps, but had a rate of 1.3Gbps when it was connected to 5G, so if anyone knows what combination allows you to utilize 5G with consistently fast download speeds, please post it!

New Poster

Have not seen issues with the speed of the Arris wireless, however I have an Airport Extreme with the Arris in Bridge mode.  But, the wireless on the Arris was fine.  There have been folks who have issues with the 5G side when they attempt to isolate on 5G.