Community Forum

Arris SB6190 Gigabit comparability.

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Diamond Problem Solver

Re: Arris SB6190 Gigabit comparability.

Gotcha'. Good luck !

Regular Contributor

As I stated in an earlier post the plans Comcast told me about are cheaper for me to have 1gb than the 400MB that’s why I’m asking. I would prefer to use my own modem and router and not have the xb6 for a monthly fee. Trying to keep my cost down.
Diamond Problem Solver

I'm not certain as I am not a CC employee but I've seen posts here indicating that the modem will default to using a slower speed tier configuration file if it's not compatible. That could be the "Extreme Pro" 400/10 tier or maybe even the "Performance" 25/5 tier.  You should ask a customer service rep for an authoritative answer. Why would anyone pay for the Gigabit tier and not be able to get it. 

Expert

They will just refuse to activate it and if you actually are able to get to activate it would probably end up defaulting to about 35/5
Regular Contributor

I understand that. Let me rephrase my question. If I have the 1 gb plan will the SB 6190 still work and what speed would I get from it. I know it wont be 1GB.

Diamond Problem Solver

@RDarcy wrote:

I have the SB6190 at the moment. My cable contract is almost up so i called Comcast. It seems cheaper for me with my package to get the 1GB speed. My question is if I keep my SB 6190 with the GB plan how much speed will I get? Would that work?

As I stated earlier in this thread, they will only deliver gig speed through a DOCSIS 3.1 device that has an OFDM / PLC downstream channel capability.

The 6190 can't be used for gig speed.

Regular Contributor

I have the SB6190 at the moment. My cable contract is almost up so i called Comcast. It seems cheaper for me with my package to get the 1GB speed. My question is if I keep my SB 6190 with the GB plan how much speed will I get? Would that work?

Diamond Problem Solver

Quite welcome.
New Poster

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU.

I have been online for hours with Comcast support.  They are telling me my SB6190 will only support 250 mbps and that is why my service is not working properly.  I have had the same modem for almost 1 year, and suddenly today, that is the problem?  Not that there is a service issue??

However, I do pay for gigabit service which apparently my SB6190 cannot provide because it is DOCSIS 3.0    So I will follow your suggstion and purchase a new modem. Unfortunately if there is still a service issue on their side this will not help but it will take away one of their excuses. 

Thank you. 

Diamond Problem Solver

The 6190 is a DOCSIS 3.0 compatible device. You are going to need a DOCSIS 3.1 compatible modem for gig speed like one of these (if you don't also have and use their phone service);

https://www.amazon.com/Next-Generation-ARRIS-SURFboard-SB8200-DOCSIS/dp/B01N6SKK1G

https://www.amazon.com/Motorola-MB8600-Certified-Comcast-Communications/dp/B0723599RQ

https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-CM1000-DOCSIS-Ultra-High-download/dp/B01I5TJGSE

They will only deliver gig speed through a DOCSIS 3.1 device that has an OFDM / PLC downstream channel capability.

New Poster

Arris SB6190 Gigabit comparability.

I recently bought an Arris 6190 to go with my new Gigabit plan because the router supports speeds up to 1.4 gb/s down, and 262 upload, FAR in excess of my plan's capability, and it says it's approved for comcast xfinity.   However, When I went to activate it, I was unable to do so, I spent over 3 hours on the phone with comcast support, who were unable to activate it.  Becaues the Comcast supplied modem worked, they blamed it on faulty hardware.  
I called the support again to try to get the supported hardware list, and was shocked to find that the SB6190 is not on the list.  They told me there wasn't a configuration file for it.  How and why is this? Why won't comcast support this modem at gigabit speed? Has anyone been able to find a work around?