Community Forum

Are there any xfinity approved modems that allow changes to DNS settings?

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

New Poster

Are there any xfinity approved modems that allow changes to DNS settings?

I am using a music streaming device and service that does not work well with Comcast's default DNS settings on the Arris TG1682 Comcast-supplied equipment.  Since Comcast does not allow changing DNS settings on its own equipment, I'm trying to find an outside source that will allow the changes.  I've read that Xfinity-approved equipment, such as the Netgear C7100V, also does not allow changes to DNS settings.  Any suggestions?  

Expert

Re: Are there any xfinity approved modems that allow changes to DNS settings?

It's a basic function of just about any router. Put your Comcast device in bridge mode and use your own router (or buy your own modem and router) Also, I'd be surprised if the Netgear C7100V didn't have the ability to change the DNS settings. It's probably something you could look up in the manual just to be sure. 

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Expert

Why do you think that it is a DNS issue ? DNS just gets you to the site. It has nothing to do with the performance thereafter.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Regular Contributor

@jacobenv wrote:

I am using a music streaming device and service that does not work well with Comcast's default DNS settings on the Arris TG1682 Comcast-supplied equipment.   

Which music streaming service?

New Poster

Tidal.  I've been through Comcast tech support, Tidal tech support and the tech support for my streaming device (Bluesound NODE).  The problem was stuttering, stops and long buffering times at peak hours (5-9 PM MDT).  Bluesound's tech was by far the most help.  After running all sorts of tests, etc. on my system, internet connection, etc.  it was found by the Bluesound tech that the long lag-times and extended buffering times were due to slow communications between Comcast and Tidal servers.  Keeping everything constant, when the Comcast servers were not used, and Google servers were used instead, there was no problem with streaming and the stuttering, long buffering times, and dropped connections were gone.