Community Forum

Activating used modem from Mediacom

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Expert

Re: Activating used modem from Mediacom

What I would do is try giving the modem a factory reset as it is connected to the Comcast network by pressing and holding the reset button for 30-60 seconds and then it do its process. If Comcast has a different firmware version than you on your modem the CMTS will push the firmwareif need be to the modem. Then you can either use online activation or call Comcast and provide them with the CM-MAC/HFC-MAC address. As @nerdburg stated, you shouldn't have any issues getting it activated.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Contributor

Even if it is a used one from a different provider. I assume that xfinitywill have flash their firmware. Is that could be the issue?

Expert

I'm wondering if somebody has been able to activate a used modem (in my case Netgear CM500) that has been used with Mediacom.

Hi @LG71,

There shouldn't be any issues activating a new modem as long as it is on the approved device list (the CM500 is an approved device.) 

I am a volunteer Expert/Moderator, not an employee.

Contributor

Anybody?

Contributor

Activating used modem from Mediacom

Hi all

I'm wondering if somebody has been able to activate a used modem (in my case Netgear CM500) that has been used with Mediacom.

I know that to activate used Comcast modem previous owner needs to release it first.

Thanks