Community Forum

ARRIS SBG7580AC - Awful modem/Poor Warranty Service/Comcast should pull off it's recommended modems.

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

New Poster

ARRIS SBG7580AC - Awful modem/Poor Warranty Service/Comcast should pull off it's recommended modems.

This concerns the Arris SBG-7580-AC.

In late December I decied to ditch the $11 fee and get my own modem.   After initially starting off well, this modem has started to offer really poor service....hardline will typically get 250 mbps down, but WIFI gets about 40 mbps down; across multiple devices sitting right next to the modem.

Arris blamed Comcast for not having sufficient power on the line.   Got Comcast guy out here and he tested for 2.5 hrs and probed, put on another modem, etc.   The conclusion.   The modem.     

Get back with Arris customer service and get the run around.   Long story, after arguments, supervisor discussions, they are sending me a new modem at MY expense.   Some warranty.    A really poor company.   Plus I have to pay shipping back.   A total all around hose job by the folks at Arris.

I picked the Arris modem off of the Comcast recommended list.   There's no way Comcast should be recommending modems that have a bogus warranty like this - that the user has to pay costs to enforce.   Just totally ridiculous.   Way past ridiculous.

Just avoid Arris altogether.....they'll admit a substandard product, but then make me pay to deal with it.

New Poster

Re: ARRIS SBG7580AC - Awful modem/Poor Warranty Service/Comcast should pull off it's recommended mod

Fun fact:  The SBG7580AC is basically the same as the Arris TG1682G that is leased by comcast.  The issue with both is the Intel Puma 6 chipset used by both (do a google search to find out how really bad this chipset it).  You're gonna want to find a modem/gateway with a Broadcom chipset, or an Intel Puma 7 chipset (Docsis 3.1 only)

Official Employee

Re: ARRIS SBG7580AC - Awful modem/Poor Warranty Service/Comcast should pull off it's recommended ...

Hello @WebTraveler. Thank you for sharing your thoughts about this modem. This information is very helpful for our evaluation of our approved devices. We will be sure to review this modem model with Arris and get any improvements in place to avoid another situation like this.

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Expert

Re: ARRIS SBG7580AC - Awful modem/Poor Warranty Service/Comcast should pull off it's recommended mod

@Tracy501A wrote:

You're gonna want to find a modem/gateway with a Broadcom chipset, or an Intel Puma 7 chipset (Docsis 3.1 only)

The Puma 7 has problems too;

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/08/09/intel_puma_modem_woes/

Go for Broadcom chipsets !

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
New Poster

Re: ARRIS SBG7580AC - Awful modem/Poor Warranty Service/Comcast should pull off it's recommended ...

Yet 1/3 of the modems on Comcast's recommended equipment page are Arris.   Something tells me Arris and Comcast are in bed together.   I have to seriously question this relationship.

Expert

I wouldn't blame Arris for this. Prior to last year, Intel didn't exactly make anyone's list of buggy hardware manufacturers, given their history of CPU manufacturing. Then came the disastrous Puma 6, LTE modems, and now Spectre/Meltdown. Who could've known?
Plus, not all the Arris modems have Puma chipsets, though. My Arris SB8200, and my TM722G, and previous TM822G have all been outstanding, and unlike the competition, they have a two year warranty on their modems.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
New Poster

I do blame Arris, they could stand by their product and make it right.   They refuse to.