Community Forum

5GHz WIFI randomly loses internet connectivity

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

New Poster

5GHz WIFI randomly loses internet connectivity

I have an xfinity gateway - Dual-band WIFI XB3. The Power light, US/DS, and Online are on steady, and the 2.4GHz and 5GHz lights flash continually during normal operation. I am having a new problem (for about the past month) where the 5GHz wifi loses it's connection to the internet randomly. Devices remain connected to the gateway - but no internet. The 2.4GHz wifi works just fine throughout. I have been on online chats with Comcast reps during these outages, and each time they remotely test/reset my router, and each time nothing changes. First, I lose the chat session completely and it never comes back up (even though the rep says it will) - or it comes back up for a moment and then disappears permanently, and then eventually the 5 GHz connection comes back up - but always drops internet again eventually. I will check the light status next time this happens. Here are some logs from my router from yesterday, when I know this happened (according to another member of the household - I was already in bed). Screen Shot 2017-12-31 at 7.46.07 AM.png

Also, some stats that might be helpful. I was connected to the 5GHz wifi when I took these screenshots

Screen Shot 2017-12-31 at 7.44.50 AM.png

I don't want to get into another long chat with the comcast rep only to have the exact same experience. Any ideas what's going on here? I am somewhat technically capable and am willing to try to troubleshoot this myself, but I need to know what to try. Thanks in advance for your help!

New Poster

Re: 5GHz WIFI randomly loses internet connectivity

I need some help here, please. I'd love a suggestion re what to try next. I notice that the screenshot images I attached of my logs don't show up in my post unless I hit reply. Not sure why, but they are definitely here. Let me know if there is more info needed to troubleshoot. Thanks!

Expert

Re: 5GHz WIFI randomly loses internet connectivity

FWIW, I can see them and the signal stat figures that you posted are in spec. You may want to try having the device swapped out for another one. Good luck !

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a fellow customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!