Community Forum

2 Modems, One EMTA, one Data?

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Diamond Problem Solver

Re: 2 Modems, One EMTA, one Data?

@Ken98045 wrote:

I was just hoping to use one of my old cable modems with eMTA, but just the eMTA.  I assume that this will work because the eMTA has a separate MAC address, but it doesn't hurt to check.

Call in to customer support and tell them what you want to do. The eMTA needs to be provisioned for phone service only and the cable modem needs to be provisioned for data service.

Expert

@Ken98045 wrote:

The number of modems that are 24x8 or 32x8 that also include an EMTA (Comcast Voice) are severely limited.  In fact, I don't think that there are any 3.1 modems that have an EMTA.  I would like to know if it possible to use 1 modem for the EMTA only and use another Docis 3.1 32x8 modem for data. 

I would just drop Xfinity Voice and use another service except that it is more expensive to drop it than keep it.  Plus, I'm stuck on a contract that includes

Can this be done?

I was using an Arris SB8200 for Gigabit Internet (and an ASUS RT-AC88U router), and a separate, much older TM722G for Voice, and they worked perfectly fine. I did have to call Comcast to activate them, though, rather than use the online activation process.

Im currently using an XB6-T / Technicolor CGM4140COM, bridged to my ASUS router and I'm pretty happy with this setup. 

Comcast Experts are other customers who volunteer their time helping on the forum and have been recognized by the community. For more information on the Expert Program, please click here.
Unless so specifically stated, my opinions written herein are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of Comcast, its official employees or affiliates.
Silver Problem Solver

I am renting the XB6 which has everything, including support for XHome and phone.  One small black box that blends in with almost everything in my "computeer room".  The Orbi is white.XB6.jpg

I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Contributor

I was just hoping to use one of my old cable modems with eMTA, but just the eMTA.  I assume that this will work because the eMTA has a separate MAC address, but it doesn't hurt to check.

Expert

Hi @Ken98045,

You are correct, there are no approved D3.1 EMTA's yet. If you want gig service and voice, you'll need separate devices. You can install your own EMTA for voice service and another modem for the internet. 

For EMTA's see: https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Home-Phone-Service-Equipment/How-to-purchase-and-install-a-voice-modem...

I am not a Comcast employee, just a moderator. Pls observe Wheaton's Law.
Contributor

2 Modems, One EMTA, one Data?

The number of modems that are 24x8 or 32x8 that also include an EMTA (Comcast Voice) are severely limited.  In fact, I don't think that there are any 3.1 modems that have an EMTA.  I would like to know if it possible to use 1 modem for the EMTA only and use another Docis 3.1 32x8 modem for data. 

I would just drop Xfinity Voice and use another service except that it is more expensive to drop it than keep it.  Plus, I'm stuck on a contract that includes

Can this be done?