Community Forum

1%-3% Packet Loss. getting Kicked off Games, unstable Skype calls, and can't stream on Twitch.

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Diamond Problem Solver

Re: 1%-3% Packet Loss. getting Kicked off Games, unstable Skype calls, and can't stream on Twitch.

Good luck with it !

Frequent Visitor

Re: 1%-3% Packet Loss. getting Kicked off Games, unstable Skype calls, and can't stream on Twitch.

I'll give that a go later today. Still currently as work right now dealing with some SYN flooding issues on the network here lol. Thanks EG

Diamond Problem Solver

@juliocesar1220 wrote:

Hey EG, how are you doing today?

Will the local headend facility be the service center? if not, were would I figure out the number to call them? I'm sorry the only place I'm familiar with is the service center..

I'm doing well, thank you !

Not necessarily. Try the 1-800-comcast number. You may need to ask for a tier 2 rep.

Frequent Visitor

Hey EG, how are you doing today?

Will the local headend facility be the service center? if not, were would I figure out the number to call them? I'm sorry the only place I'm familiar with is the service center..

Diamond Problem Solver

You may have an intermittent return path impairment of some sort (typically excess line attenuation and / or noise ingress going on somewhere).

There are three additional signal stats which can't be read by the modem. They can only be read from their end by them polling the CMTS (Cable Modem Termination System) at the local headend facility.

They are the "Upstream Rx Power" (Upstream Receive Power Level), the "Upstream SNR Ch." (Upstream Signal To Noise Ratio), and the "Upstream ICFR" (In Channel Frequency Response). These are as equally important in diagnosing connectivity issues as are the modem's stats.

You can call in and ask what these figures are. The Upstream Receive Power Level should fall within the range of -2dB to +2dB with 0dB being in the middle and perfect.

The Upstream SNR should be least 31dB, and the higher it is the better.

The ICFR should be no higher than 2 dB.

They will be able to see whether or not everything is in the green zone and also see a history plot for the modem.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

1%-3% Packet Loss. getting Kicked off Games, unstable Skype calls, and can't stream on Twitch.

Hey Everyone,

So I've been having this issue for 2 weeks now, I notice when I was trying to stream 2 weeks ago that I was getting some constant packet loss on OBS. I've already tried setting my bandwidth rate on the software to 1500 and the problem persists. So I did some further digging and troubleshooting, I ran a Speedtest and notice my upload speed was only running around 4-6 Mbps out of the usual 10-12 I normally get plus I also check if there was any amount of packet loss and sure enough there was about a 3-10% packet loss on every test. I ruled out the possibility of my router being bad or misconfigured by testing with my laptop and also with another laptop afterwards connected directly into my modem with the same results. I also swapped out the ethernet cable and moved my modem to a different room and no luck.

So I contacted Comcast and told them what was going on. Of course, the first agent I contacted didn't have an idea what packet loss meant when I try to explain my situation so I asked if I could be transferred to another agent, the second agent was very helpful in this case and was able to have a technician come out and investigate the issue further. So 2 days later the technician arrived at my house. I explained to the technician what the issue I was having. So minus the part where he bluntly tells me that I should be using a Comcast provided modem instead of my personal one, He goes on and checks my cable signals and didn't see any issue there, which I agree because I have been keeping track of the signals from my cable modem and didn't notice any issues with the signals. So he goes to my Attic and swaps out the amplifier to see if that could be causing an issue. so a couple minutes later after everything was connected and everything from the server side has been sync, I went ahead and ran a speed test again to see if that made any changes, the upload speed chugged a bit getting to 10mbps but after running a few tests, I was getting consistent 11 to 12 Mbps on upload. however, I did notice that there was still packet loss ranging from 1-3 % and show the technician that. So he suggested that I try a loaner cable modem to see if the problem continues.

So I went to go and try a loaner modem provided to me by the service center that was located about 35 minutes from my home. I went to try and see if there were any improvements and unfortunately there wasn't an improvement, I was still getting packet loss. I also try to connect my Xbox directly to the modem but I would get kicked out any online game I played from Forza to Rocket league. During a game on Rocket League, they added a feature in game where it tells you if there are any connection issues and sure enough it kept popping up a packet loss icon on the right side of the screen and eventually get kicked out of a match. Also, I've tried to skype called with friends that were willing to test with me to see if the connection was stable. while I was able to see them clearly on my end, the feedback they gave me from their end was the picture would cut off and buffer and become pixelated for the whole call. And streaming to twitch still isn't possible because of the constant packet loss. Keep in mind I'm using this from my laptop and also testing it out with another laptop I have at home and all these tests are done directly from the modem, both my personal and loaner.

The final part to this and I'm very sorry this was a long post but I needed to give everyone the back story of what has been going on. So I ran a constant ping test from Command Prompt to see if there were any timeout request, sure enough, there was, didn't matter what website or DNS server I was pinging too. I also ran a traceroute tool we use at my job ( I work as an IT Technician running basic Network Troubleshooting) and was noticing a loss of about 3% tracing to google. the tool we use is called WinMTR. I Do have screenshots of the ping test from command prompt but forgot to take screenshots from the WinMTR testing so i will take some tonight. but as far as this issue goes I'm out of ideas. Does anyone have any suggestions i should try or any information? Please let me know.

ping loss.png