Community Forum

using magic jack

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

using magic jack

Is it allowed to use Magic Jack phone service if you have comcast/xfinity internet?

Official Employee

Re: using magic jack

Yes

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

Apparently it is no longer allowed. I have used magic jack with Xfinity for several years. Two days ago my phone stopped working. After hours of trouble shooting with Magic Jack and then with COMCAST, it is still not working. COMCAST says I will have to use an entirely different phone number bundled with my Xfinity service. Of course I am not happy, I have had my number for 30 years always porting it when necessary to my new provider (ATT, Verizon etc.). What is going on, I thought I was using VOIP with Magic Jack and it should work with any ISP.
New Poster

I've used MagicJack for years and loved having a portable home phone for backup to my cell.  

I now have Xfinity Comcast which has absolutely horrible customer service.  The reps don't speak fluent English, it's like communicating with 2 year olds, the techs don't show or communicate that they never scheduled the service and the warehouse background noise is so irritating.

I was simply  trying to find out if MagicJack will work on their system before I purchase a new MagicJack service plan for $40/yr.  (I had with another service and it worked fine, but at one time it did not work with a particular Internet provider - that is why I was making certain).  It was like talking to an alien on another planet.  I finally hung up and Googled, only to find here that they now require you to purchase an additional line.  So that's what the rep was trying to say to me:  I had told her NO - I don't need a new service - I just plug MagicJack into my computer/internet.  Well, apparently Xfinity figured out a way to get extra income by blocking this feature.  Good thing I found this discussion before I blew $40 on MagicJack service.  I miss not having the service and I now have an unusable portable phone set that I paid well for.  And I'm stuck with Xfinity, as it is only internet available in my area.

New Poster

it say err 2003 check inter net co nnection mj says it xfinity trying to block people from magic jack and make u get there phone service tru of false

Official Employee

bob164 -- We wouldn't block the Magic Jack, if you have internet you will be able to use the Magic Jack. 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!