Community Forum

third party answering machine loosing time

New Poster

third party answering machine loosing time

Bear with me please. I have an AT&T answering machine Model 1740. We also just changed our Modem to one that enables WIFI through our internet.  Not sure if this is related to one another or not. For years the AT&T model 1739 worked with no issues, after we got the new modem, we noticed the machine began to  loose time, about 1-3 minutes or so. We thought it was going bad so we bought another 1739 model and that did the same thing. So we bought the newer model 1740 and that also does the same thing. We called AT&T and told them the problem. He said it's a problem with Comcast and that I needed to call Comcast and ask them to 'correct the time stamp'. So I did and the woman was trying to be helpful but in the end admitted she thought I was saying something else was the problem and couldn't help me with a time stamp issue. It was difficult to hear her and understand her as she was a foreigner on top of this. We called again and my husband talked to Comcast and they said it is NOT a Comcast problem. sigh and to call AT&T. We told them we already did that and they said it was a Comcast issue. We feel like the perverbial ping pong ball. Does anyone here have the same issue, what was the solution if any etc? Or can anyone give us suggestions on this issue?  My husband is blind and uses the clock feature on the answering maching to quickly give him the time, been doing that for years with no problems. Plus this should just work right..The machine is a great little machine for the money and this is the third one since we began having issues, that is why we think the issue is a Comcast one. Thanks for any help on this. Kathy

New Poster

Re: third party answering machine loosing time

I sure hope we get some replies soon. We tried something this morning to test where the source of our problem is. We disconnected our answering machine from the phone system by unplugging the phone wire from the answering machine and plugging directly into the phone base, bypassing our answering machine altogether. The answering machine kept perfect time all  morning. So now we know the source of our problem is with Comcast, either the new modem or the issue with the Time Stamp as AT&T thought or something else. Again any help would be appreciated. Thank you. Kathy

New Poster

Re: third party answering machine loosing time

It's really unfortunate that no one replied to my post. With that said, I will post the results of us trying to get some progress with Comcast and it finally lead to us getting success. Not without much effort on our part however. The Comcast Reps we spoke to DID NOT seem to understand our problem or they just weren't listening. Not sure, but we kept plugging...It shouldn't have to be this difficult though. We must have gone over our issues about 6 times before we got someone in a foreign country who seemed to understand all we needed was for Comcast to correct their Time Stamp. We were told the problem was because we were using a 3rd party answering machine, or that we weren't using Comcast's Voice Mail System. It was terribly frustrating to say the least. NO ONE understood what we requested. I think that's a flaw in their training and inter-communications because we can't be the first ones to have this issue and if so, why isn't it communicated down the line to the Customer Service Reps who actually talk to the Customers. At any rate, if you have a 3rd party anwering machine connected to your Comcast phone line and suddenly you notice the answering machine is loosing time. Tell Comcast to correct their Time Stamp. That's the issue.. It took this Rep in another country to work on our modem to correct the time stamp and thereby fix the problem. So far our AT&T answering machine is keeping perfect time. Let's hope it stays that way. Thank you Comcast in the foreign country for listening to us and fixing the problem. Good luck people.. I hope my post helps some people. It only took us about 4 days to get it addressed properly.