Community Forum

Wireless VOIP devices

New Poster

Wireless VOIP devices

I have Comcast Triple Play and my VOIP is working with an older phone.

However, I want to go WIRELESS with 2 other wireless VOIP phones and ditch the old wired phone.

How can I do this ?

What kind of device do I need to plug into my Arris router to accomplish this ?

Gold Problem Solver

Re: Wireless VOIP devices

The phone jacks on your eMTA or gateway provide a POTS (analog) interface to the telephone(s) in your home. Any touch-tone wired phone or cordless phone base unit that works with a conventional POTS ("Plain Old Telephone Service") line should work with Comcast's home phone service.

New Poster

Thanks Bruce, but how can I get two of these commercial units installed ?

https://www.voipsupply.com/downloads/dl/file/id/33751/grandstream_gxp1760w_datasheet_english.pdf

I want one in the basement and one upstairs answering on the same line.

Also, would Comcast be able to configure my account for 2 separate lines or do I have to subscribe to Comcast business for that feature ?

Gold Problem Solver

@syswizard wrote: ... how can I get two of these commercial units installed ? ...

I don't know, as I'm not familiar with VOIP devices or Comcast's Business services. My guess is that you'd need to add whatever hardware those devices are designed to work with, and from the datasheet you linked, that doesn't seem to be the POTS lines Comcast's residential service provides.

Their residential eMTAs and gateway devices typically have two phone ports and can support two separate phone lines, but again, both are POTS lines.

New Poster

Yep, I see the two POTS connections....an you are right, those phones won't work.....I need plain old POTS phones with wireless receivers.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FRSYS12?aaxitk=TR2RfGhZCZfzFgBZNVMKWw&pd_rd_i=B00FRSYS12&pf_rd_p=3ff609...

This set-up should work fine as long as the downstairs distance is not too great from the handset holder.