Community Forum

Why am I getting dozens of calls from 523 area code

New Poster

Why am I getting dozens of calls from 523 area code

I am getting dozens of calls daily from the 523 area code. There is noone on the line when I pick up.  When I dial the number back it is a non-existant number.  The numbers behind the 523 area code are different most of the time.  I would like if I could to block all numbers fron the 523 area code.

Anybody have any similar circumstance or ideas?

New Poster

Re: Why am I getting dozens of calls from 523 area code

I have gotten a few calls from 523 area code too. None of my calls are from the same number. Did you find a way to block all calls from area code 523? Have you been able to stop the calls?
Official Employee

Hello, if you have Comcast phone, you can use the Anonymous Call Rejection feature. 

New Poster

How do I use the automatic call rejection feature?
Official Employee

This is a great feature, I use it all the time for numbers I don't want to call me. Also, NoMorerobo (https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/nomorobo) is a great way to keep telemarketers from calling. Please see below instructions on how to use this feature. 

Here's How to Use Anonymous Call Rejection Online

1. Access Xfinity Connect and click the Menu button.
    Menu button.

2. Select the Voice icon from the drop-down list.
  3. Enter your primary Xfinity username and password.
  4. Click the settings wheel in the upper-right corner and select Settings to see your Voice Preferences.
  5. Select Call Blocking.
  6. In the Anonymous Calls Rejection section, click the box for Block all anonymous calls.
    Block Calls screen.

Do you want to stop unsolicited robocalls to your home? You can block these calls with Nomorobo, a service available with Xfinity Voice. Learn more about stopping unsolicited robocalls to your home.

New Poster

You are not alone.  For the past few weeks we have been getting dozens of these calls too, at all hours of the day and night.  One night they called at 1:30am and then an hour later at 2:30am.  Most of the time it's the "windows computer" scam but sometimes it's just a hangup.  I've reported every number to Nomorobo, and activated *77 on our landline to reject calls that don't show a caller ID, but today the calls have started getting through again.  It would be nice if ALL calls from 523 area code could be blocked.  At this point our only option will be to cancel our landline. 

New Poster

Unfortunately, anonymous call rejection isn't going to help because they're not anonymous calls, they display their number. So tired of the spam and scam games these people play. I have noticed a HUGE decrease in most of them though. I think they're beginning to realize most people are on to them, and now they're just wasting their own resources, one can only hope.

New Poster

This just started with us. First call @ 11:30 last night and so far approx one per hour since around6pm. Very annoying. 523 is LA code. Last 4 digest different each time. Says Xfinity number so no more robot all’s isn’t stoping them. Really annoying. 

New Poster

The 523 area code is an area code reserved for Mexico roaming. (Just received a call like this moments ago.)

Anonymous call rejection is not reasonable for a variety of reasons including many customers want to answer their phones in case someone important is calling in distress and fraudulent callers use Caller ID spoofing to dispaly a number so that anonymous call rejection does not work.

Using apps or similar services to block unwanted calls from an existing database of phone numbers, which is how the 'nomorerobo' service you cited works, does not work because Caller ID spoofing 'hijacks' a legitimate number. Reporting the number displayed does not help to block fraudulent calls, it only serves to block calls from the legitimate owner of the number used to spoof.

Telephone and cellular companies need to be able to trap and trace calls to their location and then the location must include some sort of law enforcement agency willing to prosecute these frauds.

So what say you now?

New Poster

The 523 area code is an area code reserved for Mexico roaming. (Just received a call like this moments ago.)

Anonymous call rejection is not reasonable for a variety of reasons including many customers want to answer their phones in case someone important is calling in distress and fraudulent callers use Caller ID spoofing to dispaly a number so that anonymous call rejection does not work.

Using apps or similar services to block unwanted calls from an existing database of phone numbers, which is how the 'nomorerobo' service you cited works, does not work because Caller ID spoofing 'hijacks' a legitimate number. Reporting the number displayed does not help to block fraudulent calls, it only serves to block calls from the legitimate owner of the number used to spoof.

Telephone and cellular companies need to be able to trap and trace calls to their location and then the location must include some sort of law enforcement agency willing to prosecute these frauds.

New Poster

reporting the numbers only ruins the legitimate owner's reputation, not the scammer that hijacked the number

New Poster

what if your mom calls from a payphone because she's being held hostage? just saying

New Poster

When you get a call from a number you don't recognize, the best thing to do is answer and say nothing. If it's a real person, they will say something. If it's an auto-dialer, your number will be listed as non-working or fax or etc. Keep repeating as necessary and you will train the robots that your number is not a person. Please contact your representatives to demand legislation that requires phone companies to address this problem. They can, they just don't because we keep paying them and there's no law forcing them to do it.