Community Forum

What type of Modems I need.

New Poster

What type of Modems I need.

So here is my issue. I just signed up again with Xfinity and got the 1GB tier internet, cable, voice. I'm familiar with the DOCSIS 3.1 and the different cable/modems I'm allowed to have.

My home builder designed my home where all the major hub connections are located in my master bedroom closet, and I need the home phone in my front office, so do I need to purchase a stand alone voice modem and have the gateway connected in my closet. I'm pretty sure I'm not going to have the gateway with voice connected in my closet. Hopefully my message makes sense and you guys can give me some straight answers. I watched some awesome videos of Nerdberg that was very informative. So, the major ? again with my speed tier have a DOCSIS 3.1 gateway connected to hub in my closet and purchase a separate voice modem and do that one has to be 3.1...Looking fwd to responses thanks in advance....
Diamond Problem Solver

Re: What type of Modems I need.

Are the phone lines in that closet too? A separate voice modem would be needed if the modem you’re using doesn’t have the capability or the phone and internet connections are in separate locations

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!
Valued Contributor

Re: What type of Modems I need.

@hamma500 wrote:
So here is my issue. I just signed up again with Xfinity and got the 1GB tier internet, cable, voice. I'm familiar with the DOCSIS 3.1 and the different cable/modems I'm allowed to have.

One thing you could consider is using a cordless  phone set with the base unit plugged into the modem in the closet and the  remote units where needed.