Xfinity plant
Community Forum
Xfinity globe

What is the proper procedure when porting a phone number from vonage to xfinity.

New Poster

What is the proper procedure when porting a phone number from vonage to xfinity.

My xfiniity service is scheduled to be turned on 4/8/2008. I still have an active vonage phone number that I would need to port over to the xfinity service. The Comcast rep suggested I wait until the xfinity service has been completed before I cancel the vonage service. Does anyone have any suggestions on the procedure to make sure I do not lose this number? There seems to be several horror stories online where folks lost their number. I want to make sure I get this right.

Accepted Solutions
New Poster

Re: What is the proper procedure when porting a phone number from vonage to xfinity.

It took awhile, but I was able to have my vonage number ported to Comcast. I received an email from Vonage indicating my number had been ported at my request, which was true. However, when I tried calling my home number I received a message indicating the number was not in service. After reaching Comcast support, the first level Comcast support rep was unsure how to fix it. Once she checked with level two they were able to figure it out. It took multiple resets of my cable modem after the  port had been completed. But, all is working as it should now. I will say Comcast is trying to improve their customer service. It can still be somewhat frustrating, but it seems to be a little better. 

All Replies
Expert

Re: What is the proper procedure when porting a phone number from vonage to xfinity.

@jamsie1952 wrote:

My xfiniity service is scheduled to be turned on 4/8/2008. I still have an active vonage phone number that I would need to port over to the xfinity service. The Comcast rep suggested I wait until the xfinity service has been completed before I cancel the vonage service. Does anyone have any suggestions on the procedure to make sure I do not lose this number? There seems to be several horror stories online where folks lost their number. I want to make sure I get this right.

DO NOT stop your Vonage service.  Once the porting has been completed, your Vonage service will be automatically stopped.

New Poster

It took awhile, but I was able to have my vonage number ported to Comcast. I received an email from Vonage indicating my number had been ported at my request, which was true. However, when I tried calling my home number I received a message indicating the number was not in service. After reaching Comcast support, the first level Comcast support rep was unsure how to fix it. Once she checked with level two they were able to figure it out. It took multiple resets of my cable modem after the  port had been completed. But, all is working as it should now. I will say Comcast is trying to improve their customer service. It can still be somewhat frustrating, but it seems to be a little better.