Community Forum

Wall jack dial tone

Frequent Visitor

Wall jack dial tone

No dial tone when corded phone is connected via wall jack.  I get dial tone with corded phone only if phone is connected to modem.  Used to have a separate voice modem but Xfinity it was unnecessary with new dual-band wifi modem installed.   Suggestions for troubleshooting/fix appreciated.  

Official Employee

Re: Wall jack dial tone

Take a look at your phone wiring. There has to be a phone line from the modem to the wall jack. Are your internal phone wires connected at all?

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

I know.  Phones do not get dial tone when the unit is plugged into wall jack.  Actually, my cordless phone base unit only works when connected to the modem.  I've tested every wall jack connection with mutliple phones and different different phone cables .  Nada.  Dial tone only comes from modem connection.   How would I check to see if this is an inside wiring problem?

Official Employee

Well it has to be internal wiring if you’re getting a dial tone out of your modem. You have to track down where your phone lines meet up. Probably start where your second modem used to be

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Frequent Visitor

Okay, thanks.  Looks like I'll need tech support or an electrician.  Does Comcast do this kind of support?

Official Employee

If you need a tech out I can get it escalated to get you one scheduled

Frequent Visitor

Appreciate your help.  Let's get a tech to the house.  No rush, though.  My dial tone situation has been thus for weeks.

Official Employee

Hello, alwann. Thanks for reaching out to us on the forums. I apologize to hear the phone wall jacks are not giving you a dial tone. We can certainly get a tech out there to look into it. Can you please send me a PM with your first and last name so I may get this set up for you?

To send a private message, please click my name "ComcastMichael" then select "Send a Message" on the right side.

Official Employee

I'm glad I was able to assist you, alwann. If you ever need further assistance don't hesitate to reach out to us.