Community Forum

Re: Tel 2 light

Regular Contributor

@CCShane wrote:

nt1622 -- Sometimes both lights will eliminate but only line one will work if having one number. Do you get a dial tone if you plug into the line two?

But it doesn't explain why that Tel2 light is on (I think you mean illuminate, not eliminate).  I posted a question along this same line weeks ago and have never gotten an answer.  WHY does it illuminate??

Official Employee

Did you recently switch out the modem at all? There is sometimes a glitch in firmware that can cause that (and it will phase out / correct itself on next release) or there can be a switch activated on the back-end for telephone port 2 previously that hasn't been audited on our end to be properly aligned with your service subscription. It's really rare and the cause really depends, but it is usually one of those few things. I can check yours if you'd like me to confirm. Let me know!

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Regular Contributor

@ComcastMorgan wrote:

Did you recently switch out the modem at all? There is sometimes a glitch in firmware that can cause that (and it will phase out / correct itself on next release) or there can be a switch activated on the back-end for telephone port 2 previously that hasn't been audited on our end to be properly aligned with your service subscription. It's really rare and the cause really depends, but is usually one of those few things. I can check yours if you'd like me to confirm. Let me know!

Thank you for your reply.  Apparently, I'm no longer getting notification emails when someone replies or comments, so I didn't know you'd written back until I just happened to check. 

If by "switch out" you mean have I changed to a different modem, no.  There's been no equipment change here.

I have (and have always had) one phone line with no extension on it.  I have a back-up battery installed; the light between Tel 1 and the battery should be dark. 

Just a bit more detail -- one night recently, we had a brief power outage.  When the power came back on and the modem came back up, the Tel 2 light was no longer on.  After a while at some point (didn't see it happen), it came back on and has been on ever since.

Official Employee

Thank you. It's not going to impact your service in a negative manner whatsoever to have the Tel 2 light lit up, but it is a bit odd that it has gone off and back on. If you'd like me to look into it further to help determine the cause in your case, you're welcome to send me that private message. 

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Highlighted
Regular Contributor

@ComcastMorgan wrote:

Thank you. It's not going to impact your service in a negative manner whatsoever to have the Tel 2 light lit up, but it is a bit odd that it has gone off and back on. If you'd like me to look into it further to help determine the cause in your case, you're welcome to send me that private message. 

Since it doesn't seem to indicate an error in account information (nothing on our bill that shouldn't be there), and with your assurance that our service won't be impacted or interrupted because of the light, we'll leave it as is.  Thank you very much for your assistance.

Official Employee

You are very welcome, mrshvd3! My pleasure. Let us know if you change your mind or need any further assistance down the road. Happy Holidays and take care. Smiley Happy