Community Forum

Re: No phone line

Highlighted
New Poster

We switched from CenturyLink to Comcast yesterday.  With C/L we had a phone line coming into the wiring center where phone lines to all the rooms in the house are connected.  The phones worked fine everywhere in the house.  Once the tech installed the modem (Arris SVG2482AC purchased at Best Buy) and we tested it by connecting a phone directly to the modem.  That worked, BUT, when we connected a phone line to the junction with all the other phones none worked.  The tech had no idea why this wouldn't work.  In reply to several old (several years) posts in these forums Xfinity employees have indicated connecting this way should work.  Other posts said the connect a line from the modem to a nearby phone jack and that would connect the other phones.  We tried that and it did not work.  ONLY a phone connected directly to the modem works.

Highlighted
New Poster

Re: Cordless Phone Installation

We got connected to Comcast today.  We are using an 

ARRIS SVG2482AC modem recommended by our sales rep and purchased at Best Buy.  I discussed with the very helpful installer the need to have all the phones in the house - some cordless and some corded - operate as they did with CenturyLink.  We connected a length of phone cable to the bundle of phone cables in our junction box and plugged the cable into the modem.  Nothing worked.  If we plug the base unit for the cordless phones DIRECTLY into the modem the cordless phones work.   I later discussed this with an Xfinity phone rep who claimed to be a tech expert and was told that only a phone connected directly to the modem will work, not phones connected by another means.  Several forum discussions have indicated that pluging a cable from the modem to a phone jack will allow all the phones to work.  I do not have a jack near the modem - only the wires to the jacks elsewhere in the house. 

Highlighted
Gold Problem Solver

donnfish, thanks for posting here. 

ONLY a phone connected directly to the modem works.

This is the way I know our phone service is provisioned to the eMTA, but I do believe a punchdown block can be placed between the modem and the eMTA. Is your junction punchdown block?

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee and no longer actively support the Xfinity Forum.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!