Community Forum

Question about a voice modem

New Poster

Question about a voice modem

I have recently signed up for Xfinity triple play (with phone service and 400 Mbps speed) ) and I would like to get my own modem, preferably with a separate router (already have a Netgear R7000 router).  I have come to realize that a modem with voice capability makes the available choices extremely limited and the gateways with voice are very expensive.  If possible, I would like to get something that meets Docsis 3.1 standard so that it is future proof.  I would like to know what are my choices other than renting from Comcast.  Is there a way the voice can be separated so that I can buy a modem that only handles the internet?  Thanks in advance.

Silver Problem Solver

Re: Question about a voice modem

@agangopa wrote:

I have recently signed up for Xfinity triple play (with phone service and 400 Mbps speed) ) and I would like to get my own modem, preferably with a separate router (already have a Netgear R7000 router).  I have come to realize that a modem with voice capability makes the available choices extremely limited and the gateways with voice are very expensive.  If possible, I would like to get something that meets Docsis 3.1 standard so that it is future proof.  I would like to know what are my choices other than renting from Comcast.  Is there a way the voice can be separated so that I can buy a modem that only handles the internet?  Thanks in advance.

Start here:

https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Your-Home-Network/Video-How-to-purchase-your-own-modem-and-router-for-...

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
New Poster

Thank you for the link to the video. It is very informative.  So it seems like I don't have that many choices with a voice modem.  Perhaps I will just rent for now.  Thanks.

Official Employee

agangopa -- I see you were assisted by RobertWy with the provided link. Do you need any further assistance?

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!