Community Forum

Just bought home phone and cannot get dial tone

New Poster

Just bought home phone and cannot get dial tone

I just purchased a home phone and have tried all the troubleshooting with no luck.  I have no phone to call customer support and can't get the chat feature to work.  I'm at a loss for what to do.  Any help would be appreciated. 

Official Employee

Re: Just bought home phone and cannot get dial tone

Is your phone plugged into tel 1 port of your gateway? Do you have phone lights lit on the gateway?
New Poster

Yes it is plugged into tel1, I've also tried tel2.  The tel1 and tel2 lights are not lit.

Official Employee

If there’s no lights than your service isn’t activated or needs to be re-activated. I’ve escalated it up to a colleague who should have access to help you, since you don’t have a way to call out. Restart your gateway and see if the lights come back in the meantime.
New Poster

I restarted and the tel1 light flickered for a second, but then nothing.  Under my account it does says that voice is connected though.

New Poster

Answered?  Really?  I still don't know why my phone service isn't working, yet I've been paying for it the whole time.

Official Employee

Hi, JBird109 - I performed several troubleshooting steps, please check if you have a dial tone. If not, please send me a private message with your full name and address. Click on my name ComcastElla, then click Private Message Me.

New Poster

Yes, I now have a dial tone. Thank u for your assistance.
Official Employee

@JBird109 - Happy to help! Feel free to reach us if you get any questions or issues and thank you for using our XFINITY Help & Support Forums.