Xfinity plant
Xfinity globe
Community Forum

Is there a DOCSIS 3.1 telephony non-gateway modem supported by Comcast

Frequent Visitor

Is there a DOCSIS 3.1 telephony non-gateway modem supported by Comcast

Is there a DOCSIS 3.1 non-gateway telephony modem that is supported by Comcast? I don't want to use a gateway modem; I have a highly rated router, and also don't want the higher risk of failure/problems of a gateway modem, but need a telephony modem and want a DOCSIS 3.1, because after doing some research, I think it may solve my connection problems. I have had techs out to my house so many times in the last 2.5 yrs since I started service at my new house, because my Internet service is ridiculously unstable. It goes in and out, in and out, in and out, all day and all night, sometimes, every few minutes. It is frustrating. I have purchase boosters, wifi extenders, an expensive router, and they have installed Comcast's TG1682G modem as a test, (I had a brand new Surfboard, and there was no difference after they swapped it out for theirs) but I still have intermittent Internet service. The last time the tech came out and replaced everything, all the cables, connectors, etc, ran new lines, and though it improved somewhat, it has NEVER EVER been consistent and, the last couple of weeks, it has been ridiculously bad. I've been researching for months for a solution and, reviews of the Motorola MB8600 DOCSIS 3.1 said that people who had similar connection issues had found resolution AND, lightning fast speeds  with the 3.1. However, it does not have telephone ports and I have Triple Play, so I want to be able to use the phone service I have been paying for. But, the only DOCSIS 3.1 telephony modem that I could find listed as "supported", was the more expensive ARRIS gateway modem, and I don't want a gateway modem, especially after I forked out beau coup $s for a highly rated router in an attempt to try to improve my connection and wifi issues -- besides the inherent problems of an onboard router. I posted a question about ways to slave another device to get a phone port, but havent see ay replies,so I am looking for a DOCSIS 3.1 non-gateway telephony modem that Comcast will support. Can anyone help me? Thanks in advance.

New Poster

Re: Is there a DOCSIS 3.1 telephony non-gateway modem supported by Comcast

Greetings,

Sad to see that no one has replied to your comment.  I am in the same boat and have yet to find one as well. Can't even find articles hinting at upcoming retail models.  Arris has what we are looking for, however, it is a model that is only available through service providers as a rental.  It is the Touchstone TM3402.

They have a $240 consumer Surfboard model that has a router but I don't want to pay for something I already have.  I hope manufacturers come out with something soon.  I think Docsis 3.1 has been available for about a year already so I don't know why they are taking so long.

Problem Solver

You can see the listing of approved devices for your area by going to https://mydeviceinfo.xfinity.com and logging in when prompted.  When the screen opens up select the desired speed tier and be sure to check the box for Voice/telephone enabled.  Additionally, would be a good idea to ask at your local Comcast store if your particular franchise allows users to purchase their own phone enabled device as I have heard that some do not allow it.

DOCSIS3.1 ability is not in my own area yet so I can say with complete certainity if there are any approved 3.1 cable modem with telephone only options out there at this time.  There have been over the past several months in the Internet-Your home network forum some discussion threads about 3.1 modems and what folks who have the home phone setup from Comcast can do.  

Within that forum were discussions of what to do if you did have a gateway and wanted to use your own router, and the solution was to put the gateway into bridge mode while allowed it to become a basic cable modem with the telephone functionality in it still working but all the routing was done through your own router.  While not necessarily an ideal situation it is one possible solution.  

The other thing that I have seen, and been a part of discussion threads as well, is the possiblity of having two units one being the cable modem you desire that is provisioned by Comcast for your interent service, the other be it a lesser desired cable modem that has telephone connectivity or a gateway with telephone connectivity being provisioned by Comcast for only the phone service. This particular setup would need to be discussed with Comcast to get approval for it first before purchasing anything and obviously also not ideal but if your desire to have a specific cable modem that doesn't have phone ability  and keep your home phone service as well is great enough then it might be an option for you.

Overall it is still very early in the DOCSIS3.1 lifecycle and it will take some time to get it rolled out.  Given that it is still early on in the cycle, the offering of modems is somewhat limited but hopefully will get better as time goes on.

Hope this general information has helped give you an idea of what is possible.  Still for specifics you will have to rely on what is available in your area as the 3.1 isn't available in my area yet so I can't see any equipment that is being offered for those that it is availbe in.

Contributor

I guess you could always try (review) the Netgear CM500V on Amazon.

It has Comcast's blessing and does not have a router.

unfortunately, it is out of stock a this time. 

Normal retail ~ $130

By scrolling over the image (on Amazon) you can see the back-side inputs:

1 port for co-axial cable power  

1 either port

2 telephone line ports

reset button 

Expert

ICUDOUCME 
wrote:

I guess you could always try (review) the Netgear CM500V on Amazon. 

The CM500V is DOCSIS 3.0 not 3.1

Contributor

DOCSIS 3.0 VS DOCSIS 3.1 source: en.wikipedia

DOCSIS version Production date Maximum downstream capacity Maximum upstream capacity Features

3.0 2006 1.2 Gbit/s 200 Mbit/s Significantly increased downstream/upstream data rates, introduced support for IPv6, introduced channel bonding
3.1 2013 10 Gbit/s 1–2 Gbit/s Significantly increased downstream/upstream data rates, restructured channel specifications
3.1 Full Duplex 2017 10 Gbit/s 10 Gbit/s Introduces support for fully symmetrical speeds

1 Mibt/s = one million bits per second                                                                                                                                               1 Gbit/s = one billion bits per second                                                             

Expert

Re: DOCSIS 3.0 VS DOCSIS 3.1 source: en.wikipedia

O/k what does that prove about your recommendation ? The original poster was looking for a DOCSIS 3.1 capable device.

Problem Solver

I got tired of waiting for a Comcast supported retail DOCSIS 3.1 telephony modem, so what i wound up doing was activating an older TM722G for voice only, and a new DOCSIS 3.1 Arris SB8200 for gigabit internet, plus an ASUS RT-AC68P router. 

Not only does this setup work really well, it had the additional benefit of being able to stash the TM722G in the guest bedroom closet, with the cordless phone base, out of the way of everything. 

"Sometimes the best way to learn something is by doing it wrong and looking at what you did." - Neil Gaiman
New Poster

Were you able to activate 2 modems on a single service? I didn't know that was possible. If so, how did you go about it? I like this "out of the box" thinking.

Problem Solver

Sure did. I called Comcast activations, told them what I needed to do, and they did it.

"Sometimes the best way to learn something is by doing it wrong and looking at what you did." - Neil Gaiman
Expert

wrote:

Were you able to activate 2 modems on a single service? I didn't know that was possible. If so, how did you go about it? I like this "out of the box" thinking.

It's not unheard of to use one modem for voice and another for internet service. Comcast is fine with that and can set you up w/o a problem. No additional fees either. Even if both units are Comcast rentals, you'll only get charged a rental fee for one device. 

[edit] fat finger typos 

Contributor

DOCSIS 3.0 VS 3.1 source: enwikipedia

DOCSIS version Production date Maximum downstream capacity Maximum upstream capacity Features

3.0 2006 1.2 Gbit/s 200 Mbit/s Significantly increased downstream/upstream data rates, introduced support for IPv6, introduced channel bonding
3.1 2013 10 Gbit/s 1–2 Gbit/s Significantly increased downstream/upstream data rates, restructured channel specifications
3.1 Full Duplex 2017 10 Gbit/s 10 Gbit/s Introduces support for fully symmetrical speeds

The purpose of this post is to merely point out how many years since D3.1 was initially released.

It does seem that by this  time there would be tons of D3.1 telephone enabled non-gateway modems on the retail market.

daffynitions:  1 Mbit/s = 1 million bits per second    1 Gbit/s = 1 billion bits per second