Community Forum

Different Modem for Internet and Phone

New Poster

Different Modem for Internet and Phone

I see that the question has been asked multiple times, and it seems that at least in certain markets you can have a different modem for internet service (because say you need DOCSIS 3.1 for gig service) and a different one for phone (because none of the 3.1 BYOD modems allow for phone). 

In this thread it appears that a Comcast rep says this is not available in all markets:

https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Home-Phone-Service-Equipment/Can-I-use-a-separate-modem-just-for-phone...

My question is, how can we confirm what markets it is available in?

I tried calling and chatting to confirm, and was given an answer that I need to rent a modem, however to be honest, the people I spoke to seemed a bit clueless about what I was asking and seemed to go off canned responses they found in a forum. Is there a way I can have this answered definitively for my area, either in the forum, or by calling a local number (since I dialed the main line before)? If so, where do I find the local number to call?

FYI, live in Cranbury, NJ, 08512 (in case someone else here has already gotten this resolved).