Community Forum

DOCSIS 3.1 Modem with an eMTA - or an MTA compatible with Comcast VOIP

Regular Contributor

DOCSIS 3.1 Modem with an eMTA - or an MTA compatible with Comcast VOIP

I was in the middle of adding Comcast voice to my Comcast service - but, I'm not finding a DOCSIS 3.1 modem with eMTA compatible with Comcast VOIP that I can purchase.  Or, perhaps there is an external MTA I could purchase?  

 

I see a post on this subject pegged to the top of the "equipment" forum - but, it seems to be very much out of date - should it be moved to the archive?  Or, at least updated to explain that acquiring a DOCSIS 3.0 modem is somewhat a dead-end?

 

Thanks

New Poster

Re: DOCSIS 3.1 Modem with an eMTA - or an MTA compatible with Comcast VOIP

Yes, Comcast should be making folks aware that 3.0 is being retired and will not work with their new gigabit speed rollout. becasue they should, i doubt they will. i just upgraded to gig speed and my new Netgear 3.0 has been practically bricked. i don't even get the old speed...the router has been completely downgraded. i'm looking for a way to put in a new docsis 3.1 router, but can't find one with phone.

 

any ideas out there on how to install a new docsis 3.1 router with a separate emta modem?

Expert

Re: DOCSIS 3.1 Modem with an eMTA - or an MTA compatible with Comcast VOIP


@truerock2 wrote:

I was in the middle of adding Comcast voice to my Comcast service - but, I'm not finding a DOCSIS 3.1 modem with eMTA compatible with Comcast VOIP that I can purchase.  Or, perhaps there is an external MTA I could purchase?  

 

I see a post on this subject pegged to the top of the "equipment" forum - but, it seems to be very much out of date - should it be moved to the archive?  Or, at least updated to explain that acquiring a DOCSIS 3.0 modem is somewhat a dead-end?

 

Thanks



So far, there aren't any retail DOCSIS 3.1 eMTA modems approved for Comcast service. 

 

What I've done to get around that was to have two separate modems activated - a DOCSIS 3.1 ARRIS SB8200 for internet (bought new) , and an older DOCSIS 3.0 TM722G for voice only(which I got used cheap off Amazon). Buying used is always a gamble though, but as Amazon has liberal return policies, I decided to go that route, and it paid off. 

 

Had to call it in instead of going through the walled garden online activation process, but other than that everything's been working pretty well for me. 


I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Expert

Re: DOCSIS 3.1 Modem with an eMTA - or an MTA compatible with Comcast VOIP


@tarmacspore wrote:

Yes, Comcast should be making folks aware that 3.0 is being retired and will not work with their new gigabit speed rollout. becasue they should, i doubt they will. i just upgraded to gig speed and my new Netgear 3.0 has been practically bricked. i don't even get the old speed...the router has been completely downgraded. i'm looking for a way to put in a new docsis 3.1 router, but can't find one with phone.

 

any ideas out there on how to install a new docsis 3.1 router with a separate emta modem?


Eh? DOCSIS 3.0 will be around for a while. Gigabit won't be available to everyone anytime soon, and not everyone's gonna fork out the money for that service, and not everyone's going to need to either. Comcast has been very specific to point out that older DOCSIS 3.0 modems won't work with gigabit, so I don't know why you upgraded to the service without upgrading your equipment. 

 

And of course your old modem will slow to a crawl. Because it isn't compatible with gigabit, it most likely was pushed the default DOCSIS 3.0 configuration file, which is 25/5. Either switch back to your old plan if you still can, or upgrade your equipment.

 

The only retail DOCSIS 3.1 gateway approved for Comcast is the Netgear C7800, and for the price tag it commands, you're probably better off getting a separate DOCSIS 3.1 and a router of your choice. 

 

As for getting separate modems installed, see my above answer. 

 


I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

Re: DOCSIS 3.1 Modem with an eMTA - or an MTA compatible with Comcast VOIP

hey darkangel,

issue was that i had just bought the new router. comcast then offered me an upgrade package (as a result of several other issues) at a lpower price, but never warned of any compatibility issues...they knew i had my own router. old plan is no longer available to me.

 

what does the configuration look like with the two devices? do you simply split the coax?

Expert

Re: DOCSIS 3.1 Modem with an eMTA - or an MTA compatible with Comcast VOIP


@tarmacspore wrote:

hey darkangel,

issue was that i had just bought the new router. comcast then offered me an upgrade package (as a result of several other issues) at a lpower price, but never warned of any compatibility issues...they knew i had my own router. old plan is no longer available to me.

 

what does the configuration look like with the two devices? do you simply split the coax?


RIght now, I have an unbalanced 3-way splitter, with the SB8200 on the -3.5db connector, then the X1 4k box and the TM722G on the other (-7 db) connectors. No other splitters on the chain. Works like a charm. 

 

Anyway, I think you're better off with your own equipment - not only do you save money on the rental fees, but you can also take advantage of the bundle pricing plus use other features (depending on your own hardware, of course) that the leased Comcast gateway doesn't offer, such as using a different DNS server or establishing multiple, separate subnets on your network, and you're not saddled with the xfinitywifi public access point. 

 

My only regret is not having access to Xfinity xFi, but I can manage my network just as well without it. 


I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

Re: DOCSIS 3.1 Modem with an eMTA - or an MTA compatible with Comcast VOIP

Did Comcast give you a hard time activating 2 modems?

New Poster

Re: DOCSIS 3.1 Modem with an eMTA - or an MTA compatible with Comcast VOIP

Hi - i did not pursue it. my speeds ended up being in the 300mb+ range consistently, which is plenty for me. not optimal, but it works. when i was looking into it, there were stories on both sides regarding Comcast and 'hard time', but in the end all who tried were successful.

Expert

Re: DOCSIS 3.1 Modem with an eMTA - or an MTA compatible with Comcast VOIP


@marklo wrote:

Did Comcast give you a hard time activating 2 modems?


If that was directed at me, not at all. The phone tech knew exactly what I needed, and provisioned both modems correctly and without issue. 


I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

Re: DOCSIS 3.1 Modem with an eMTA - or an MTA compatible with Comcast VOIP

Thanks! Was looking at upgrading to gigspeed but the rep told me a 2 year contract would be required with gig speed being only 10 a month for 12 months / I caught that and rep sheepishly said I could call back at 12 months to get another deal... talk about deceptive practices!
Contributor

Re: DOCSIS 3.1 Modem with an eMTA - or an MTA compatible with Comcast VOIP

I currently have a Arris TM822g EMTA Modem, would using this modem for phone only and getting the Arris SB8200 to use for Internet work for me. I cannot get a straight answer from Comcast except for prices for different triple play bundles. If it will work how do I hook it up and do I have to get the new modem and have it provisioned first before signing up for Gig service.

 

Thank you,

New Poster

Re: DOCSIS 3.1 Modem with an eMTA - or an MTA compatible with Comcast VOIP

Just call in to activate- they can provision 1 for voice and the other for internet. The only struggle I have is seeing my usage- not that it matter because I went unlimited- they do have experience doing this. Called in - no problem
Contributor

Re: DOCSIS 3.1 Modem with an eMTA - or an MTA compatible with Comcast VOIP

Thank you