Community Forum

Connect more phones over wired network, but I don't have any traditional phone wiring

New Poster

Connect more phones over wired network, but I don't have any traditional phone wiring

My house underwent a big remodel, and the GC didn't rerun any standard phone lines throughout the house.  I do, however, have network wires throughout the house.  In a central location I have the comcast modem, a router, a switch, and all of the house wiring converges there.  So I have network wiring throughout the house, but no traditional phone wiring.  I currently have one phone hooked up directly to the comcast modem.  But I'd like to have more wired phones throughout the house -- I hate wireless phones.  So is there a way the router can act as a splitter, connecting analog phones directly to the comcast modem voice jacks/lines, or do I need to add an ATA at every point where I'm going to have wired phone?

Thanks!

Official Employee

Re: Connect more phones over wired network, but I don't have any traditional phone wiring

No your Comcast phone service isn’t tied to your wireless router. Theoretically if your network wires (cat5 or 6) are in a room where you don’t need wired Internet but want phone you could use that wiring. Have your GC run phone wiring, if not, you’re stuck with using cordless phones

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

Re: Connect more phones over wired network, but I don't have any traditional phone wiring

"Theoretically if your network wires (cat5 or 6) are in a room where you don’t need wired Internet but want phone you could use that wiring."

That's what I'm exploring.  I have 3 network wires going to every room, so I have plenty of those to spare for phones, if that could be done.    Would that require ATAs, or could I connect a phone directly to a netwok jack, and from the switch, connect to the modem's phone plugs?

The walls are sealed up, so there's no way to rerun phone lines now.  I had requested it, but the GC abandoned the project (the guy's name was Corey Gullion, and he robbed us of a lot of money, actually).

Official Employee

Assuming all your wires are ran back to the modem and you have the proper modem(you didn’t state the model) and have phone service, it’s just a matter of a phone line out of the modem and color connecting to the networks and install phone jacks.

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

So that did turn out to be the case, and it wasn't very difficult after all.  I needed some extra phone (RJ11) cables and some cat5 couplers.  RJ11/small phone plugs will clip into an ethernet/RJ45 jack.   So I plug the analog phone directly into the cat5 wall jack.  Then back at my network closet, I attached an RJ45 coupler to the end of that cat5 home run.  Note, I am bypassing my switch entirely.  Then I plugged a short RJ11/phone cable into that coupler as well.  And then finally I plug the other end of that RJ11/phone cable into the phone jack in the modem -- actually I have a splitter plugged in there to support 5 phone lines.  

So the whole chain is:

phone with RJ11 plug -> RJ45 wall jack -> home run terminates in an RJ45 plug -> RJ45 female to RJ45 female coupler -> RJ11 to RJ11 phone patch cable -> 5-way phone splitter -> Xfinity Modem phone jack

I bought the couplers for $.99 each on ebay (free shipping), the 5-way splitter cost me $3.50 (also on ebay).  And then I have lots of phone cables lying around.  So it all worked out a lot easier than I thought it would.

Thanks for the help!!