Community Forum

Can I use a separate modem just for phone?

Frequent Visitor

Can I use a separate modem just for phone?

So the issue I'm having is I can't use the xb6 gateway as it cripples my VPN for work. I am currently using an arris SB8200 as I have gigabit and need docsis 3.1. Unfortunately this modem does not support phone.

Now I don't use land-line and I don't even want it but, I have been to the store multiple times and they will not allow me to return the xb6. I don't want to pay the 10 dollar a month rental fee for the gateway I can't use thanks to it crippling vpn speeds.

I tried to go to double play and I would end up paying the same amount for less channels etc. I'm just wondering if I could daisy chain a cheap modem for phone off of my current SB8200. I essentially just want to return this 10 dollar a month gateway I'm not using.

Thanks in advance guys
Expert

Re: Can I use a separate modem just for phone?

You sure can. I have an ARRIS SB8200 for gigabit, as you do, but I also have an older ARRIS TM722G that was activated as a voice only modem. Works very well in my current Quad Play setup. 

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!