Community Forum

setting up HP fax/printer to modem as fax machine

New Poster

Re: setting up HP fax/printer to modem as fax mach

I'm not sure If I understand this correctly, but I also have a Pro 8600 All in One.  I have voicemail on my comcast phone as well.  I have it set up to answer the fax signal after 5 rings.  I doesn't need a specific ring or a separate phone number.  The reason for answering after five rings is for the phone to determine if the signal is a phone call or a fax signal.  I have the phone set on automatic answer after five so I do not have to be here to receive the fax.  Hope this might help your problem.

Problem Solver

My brother tried that and what happens is when he gets a phone call that goes five rings the fax machine responds and answers back with that nasty fax tone for his voice callers and his voice callers never get to voice mail because the fax is picking up before the voicemail so he got a second phone line without features. My sister had the same problem so she got a line with no features and hooked up an answering machine to the ext output of her hp all in one and that works too. Most people don't want to hear that fax chirping while they listen to rings before the phone or fax picks up.

New Poster

Hello I'm trying to get my comcast fast system to work

Contributor

what is the comcast fast system?

Dorothy Baker
New Poster

I have a HP all in one.  This is located in my office where there is no TV so the modem for the comcast services is downstairs.  As this is the case, I purchased a 50ft phone cord and spliter to run the connection to my office. Currently,the phone and cord for the fax is connected to the spliter to the back of the modem. When completing the fax test from HP it fails as I'm not using the "correct type of cord with fax"

My question is, how can I fax without directly connecting my fax machine to the Z wire modem from Comcast?

If I have to connect directly to the Z wire modem, does comcast sell a 50 ft fax cord?

Contributor

This is the way I set mine up:

I have an HP All in One (printer, copier, scanner, fax) Office Jet Pro 8500 A plus, this is how I finally hooked it up and it works:

1. printer line 1 to dual jack in modem-use brown phone cord that came with printer (I also have the xfinity x1 platform modem)

2. printer ext. to telephone answering machine

3. dual jack from modem to wall jack.

My modem and HP all in one are in the same room.  I alos have Comcast phone service.  Have you called HP tech support?  and/or Comcast tech support?

Hope this helps.

Dorothy Baker
Frequent Visitor

Re: setting up HP fax/printer

jbr311

How do you set up your all-in-one printer to fax over the internet?

My printer is in my office, my Comcast modem is in my kitchen at the other end of the house, so I think using a dual jack at the modem might not work for me.

Thanks

Contributor

I don't know-I have not done that.  Hopefully someone else will read this and reply.

Dorothy Baker
Contributor

Again, my HP Fax/all in one worked flawlessly attached to a jack in my kitchen (answering one ring later than my phone/answering machine (No Comcast voicemail) until I upgraded to the newest flavor all in one modem/router from Xfinity/Comcast when we got the X1 system. It would listen for the incomming fax tones until the beep for people to leave a msg and do it's thing if it heard the signal but now it just sits there doing nothing with the tones, so it is definitely a problem with the new modem/phone/router.

On another note, their newest modem/phone/router still doesn't support 5GHz (ac) speeds plus it allows anyone with a comcast password to use it as a hotspot by default! I had them toggle the router part off so I could continue using my own and as an additional perk disallow the piggyback hotspot.

Contributor

Again, no response to my thoroughly explained issue. Worked as is before new modem and now does not. Using a splitter at the modem to the printer is no different than using the splitter into household wiring attached to the same splitter. This is in fact the way the previous techs had it wired to work with my older motorolla internet/phone modem! Wire is wire the length of which makes no difference in this equation.

New Poster

I use MyFAX internet service for $10 a month. No setup, No comcast issues!!!

New Poster

Smiley Wink Thnx, worked like a charm.

New Poster

How do I set up fax on comcast  modem to send and  receive fax?

Contributor

See my reply on 3/25/15.  I have the X1 platform, cable, internet, and telephone service.

Dorothy Baker
Contributor

@gehrenfeld wrote:

I use MyFAX internet service for $10 a month. No setup, No comcast issues!!!

I get your fix but I'd rather not spend $120/year for a fax function I only use sporadically and had previously worked just fine before "upgrading" to the X1 system. I do not want/need my printer/scanner/fax machine in the Living Room. It belongs in my office where it's always been.

Expert

2+ Year Thread being closed.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!