Xfinity plant
Xfinity globe
Community Forum

"Voice mail msg. via phone co." when no msgs exist. Is it the phone or Comcast?

Regular Visitor

"Voice mail msg. via phone co." when no msgs exist. Is it the phone or Comcast?

I have a new Pansonic DECT 6.0 Plus phone set with lots of features.  Whenever I get a call and answer it, I end up with this msg on the handset screen - "Voice mail msg. via phone co.".  I answered the call, so why the message when no message was left.  If I do get a voice mail message, it tells me I have a voice mail and I also get an email with the contents.  I do not use the answering machine that came as part of the system, but maybe I should.

Pansonic says this is a phone company issue, not a phone issue.  Which is it?  Is it a Pansonic problem or is it a Comcast problem.  I've checked all my Comcast voice settings and see nothing that would indicate an option to display a message like this.  I've checked the phone menus and documentation and can only find that it's the phone company doing this... it does tell me how to get rid of it, but I have to do it on each of the 4 handsets I have.

Does anyone know how to make this stop?  I just bought this set and am beyond the return date and I really don't want to have to buy another set... not Panasonic of course.

Thank you in advance for any help on this issue.

New Poster

Re: "Voice mail msg. via phone co." when no msgs exist. Is it the phone or

I am having the same issue, I went into voicemail and cleared out old messages and its still up on my phone. This most likley is a comcast issue and the link between the two devices, too bad its so annoying! If you figure out a remedy please post. Thanks

New Poster

Same here - although it has been replaced with check telephone line.

New Poster

Same here. Not so happy with the triple play. This is infuriating
New Poster

Dial *99 - that fixed my problem.

New Poster

Nope. Did that first. This has been ongoing
Regular Visitor

I should have included this in the original text.  I mentioned you could clear the message handset by handset, but not how to do it.  To clear it, press the # key and hold it for 3 seconds or so until you hear the phone beep.  The message is now gone, but not forever.  It will come back the next time the phone rings or you make a call.

To the person who suggested it was the phone line, that makes no difference.   My phones work through my Comcast Internet modem... VoIP style.  

Regular Visitor

I'm having the same problem.....And there's a blinking light on all my handsets with an envelope indicating a voice mail that's not there....Come on Comcast....Fix your problem !!!

Official Employee

Hi all,

You could clear Message waiting indicator (or stutter tone) by:

* leaving a msg to yourself

* listening and/or deleteing all new msgs

However, if above does not resolve the issue:

* You might have to restart your cable modem as well.

Hope this helps.

Regular Visitor

Nope.....Didn't work...

Regular Visitor

To:  ComcastUmut

Official Employee

Neither of those suggestions worked.

I never had this problem until a few days ago when I put in new phones.  the old ones worked just fine except the numbers had worn off the buttons and didn't light up, unfortunately they were given to my sister-in-law. 

I wish I could nail Pansonic with this, but this is clearly a Comcast issue and not a phone manufacturer issue.  Somewhere in your phone transmission processes, the VM indicator is getting turned on even though no VM is left.  It happens when I make or receive a call.  Your technical people have made some changes in the last few days and it should be reasonably easy to track down and fix the culprit coding that was changed.

Of course, the techies have to be notified of this issue, so I hope that is something that you do.  There's a lot of people having the same issue.

Regular Visitor

Can I turn off the Voice Mail ??

New Poster

Thanks the # key till it beeped worked.

New Poster

This problem came up on our phone a few days ago and I was getting irritated because it wouldn't clear itself.  Today I finally decided to check out Support for anyone else having issues with the same problem. I left myself a voice mail and it did the trick. The message, "Voice mail via Phone Company" finally disappeared.  Thank God!  Thanks for the info.

New Poster

Hi There

1- Go to menu

2 - Settings

3- VoiceMail

4 - Voice tone detect

5- Vm detection

6 - Ootion Off

7 - Save

No more anxious phone message.

God bless us@God

New Poster

Hi There

1- Go to menu

2 - Settings

3- VoiceMail

4 - Voice tone detect

5- Vm detection

6 - Press Option Off

7 - Save

No more anxious phone message.

God bless us@God

Regular Visitor

Menu #332 will get you there quicker but I didn't work for me.

New Poster

Re: "Voice mail msg. via phone co." when no msgs exist. Is it the phone or Comcast?

Well after reading all the posts here, and spending two long chat sessions with Panasonic regarding this message, and all the fixes that were provided (e.g. press the # for 5 seconds, or press Menu and #332, etc.) I gave up and started to research a new phone system.  I then called my telephone company provider.  The next day Support called and before we started our conversation about this error message, she said she noticed that our service had a problem which she proceeded to fix.  Then we talked about the error message and she indicated that by her "restarting" ( or whatever term it was) there should be no problem. 

It has now been over 8 hours and the problem seems to have been eliminated.

So, even though Panasonic says Press #332 etc etc etc, which tells me that they know of problems in their systems, call your telephone service provider and ask if your system has "stuck in the open position", or whatever the malarkey they say.

I was going to buy a new phone system, but now I will call my provider.  Panasonic is just another overseas chat line filled with stupid, script reading air heads.

Expert

Re: "Voice mail msg. via phone co." when no msgs exist. Is it the phone or Comcast?

Year Old Thread being Closed.