Community Forum

Why am I getting calls with my name and tel. number on my caller ID?

New Poster

Why am I getting calls with my name and tel. number on my caller ID?

I have a complaint to Customer service a couple of times already and this one is my 3rd one.  This is escalating to a different level now.   When I see a caller ID with my name and tel. number I do not answer.  Customer serv. told me on first complaint it was a glitch on the system but now they are saying are Telemarketing Company using my number, they cannot do anything about it.  Now I'm getting calls as early as 7:30am... this is not legal for telemarketers unless they have change the law.  But to top it all I'm getting calls from people returning my calls, missed calls that I haven’t made.  I have told them to please put a complaint as well.   I am going to the police and writing a report, there is something that can and has to be done about it.   I just cannot think Comcast cannot investigate and see where this telemarketing company is coming from.   I have a 93year old mother that gets very nervous with all this phone calls.  It is just not right.  Is there someone out there that has same problems, I would like to know if they resolved it or just had phone disconnected.   Thank you.

Highlighted
Administrator

Re: Why am I getting calls with my name and tel. number on my caller ID?

@ofeliamdiez,

Thank you for posting your question here in the Xfinity Forum. I can tell you that I have had similar instances of this occurring on both my cellular phone and home phone. There seems to be a "spoofing" scam where fraudsters are using your own number to call you and others. 

The FTC has a a fantastic article about these type of calls and the actions that you can do to protect yourself (article found here: https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/blog/2015/07/getting-calls-your-own-number).

Per that article: "Bottom line? These calls from your own number are illegal. Don’t pick up — or press buttons to be taken off the call list or to talk to a live person. That just leads to more calls. It’s best to ignore them, and move on with your day."

Unfortunately Comcast cannot stop these actions from happening, but we do have some calling features that can help to combat these type of unwanted calls. 

For Xfinity Home Phones

To Activate Call Screening

1. Lift the receiver and listen for the dial tone.
  2. Press *60.
  3. Follow the prompts to activate the feature and to add, delete or review the numbers on your list.
    • When creating your list, include the area code for local and long distance numbers.
    • To block calls from the last number that called you, press # when prompted.

(More details about stopping unwanted calls can be found here: https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Phone/ANSWERED-How-to-stop-unwanted-calls/ta-p/3170369)

For Xfinity Cell Phones 

Blocking numbers on iPhones

1. Go to your Phone icon.
  2. If you've saved the number in your phone, go to the contact and scroll down to select "Block this Caller."
  3. If the number is in your recent calls, select the blue "i" icon and scroll down to select "Block this Caller."

Blocking numbers on Android phones

1. Go to your Phone icon.
  2. Go to your recent calls, or your contacts list if you've saved the number already.
  3. Depending on which Android phone you have, select More, Details, or an icon with three vertical dots. Then, select Block.

We also always recommend that you report these type of calls (every instance) to the FTC and/or FCC; their information can be found in the article listed above.

Please let us know if there is anything else we can assist with. 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!