Xfinity plant
Community Forum
Xfinity globe

Voice mail indicator stays on

New Poster

The voice mail indicator light and stutter tone will not turn off, even though I've cleared all messages. Help!
Frequent Visitor

Re: Voice mail indicator stays on

Same problem here. Pulsing dial tone indicating voice mail for the last two days but there is no voicemail waiting. I've checked via the phone and the Internet - no voicemail. I check all phones and I've reset the modem - still get pulsing dial tone which make voicemail waiting lights on the phones flash.

Hopefully someone at Comcast is aware of this and working the problem. I haven't found any way to get through to service.

New Poster

Same problem here. It started about a week ago.

Frequent Visitor

I just tried something that fixed mine. I called my phone and left myself a voicemail message. I then used *99 to listen to and then delete my voicemail. The studder-tone went away and the message waiting lights on the phones went out.

New Poster

Thanks for the suggestion. I just tried it and it didn't work. Hopefully someone else will come up with a solution.
New Poster

I (my wife) was frutrated about her call waiting light not going off after she answered or retrieved a message waiting voicemail. Given there are many reasons for this and many configurations of phones and outlet plugs in a house it may nor apply in all cases... HOWEVER all my phones have that issue (and not JUST with Comcast as my provider - but another voicemail in the cloud vendor/provider that starts with a Capital "A"). 

Many wireless base stations will keep the message waiting light and repeat a stuttering dial tone unless you actually call your voicemail from that base-station or one of the handsets attached to that base station. If the base station is in a "message waiting" state all handsets will (most times) also reflect that message waiting state until he base station resets it.

In our case, my wife didn't use one of the handsets on the base station to call in from to retrieve her voicemail, but rather another single line traditional phone. As such the (wireless) base station was unaware that the call had ever been answered (or responded to in any manner).

My base station has a menu item to reset message waiting as do other brands - but it took me a lot of (very boring) reading of the phone base-station users manual to find out what keystroke/menu combination it took to reset it - which it did do and eliminated the "chronic" message waiting light and stutter dial tone. Now our phone has a sticky on it reminding of the "message waiting" reset function menu item and how to navigate to it.

Just saying, it may not be a provider (comcast) problem per se -  but rather a basestation/handset/desktop phone device issue since my issue was also seemingly un-solvable using another voice-mail service provider entirely. I say this, because I'm not aware that comcast delivers a handset of any kind with it's voice service and you are left to "manage" another providers phone system/basestation/handset devices with most times a beligerent technical manual.

I offer this because it just may solve at least some of the problems that are represented here. 

New Poster

Thanks, I'll see if I can find out how to reset my phone. I do retrieve the calls from the base unit, but it's worth a try. Good to know other people have the same problem.
Frequent Visitor

Just a note. I have an old wired wall phone with no voice mail facilities or message waiting light. It receives the stutter dial tone so I'm assuming that that tone is generated by Comcast (or their modem) and not by the phone itself. I'm assuming that my VTech cordless phones react to the stutter dial tone by turning on the message waiting indicators. I do know that the stutter tone and message indicators turn off when I delete voice mail remotely by a computer logged onto my Comcast account. I can't say for sure that I've ever deleted voice mail from the wired wall phone.

Anyway, it's been a couple of hours now and the message indicators have not come back on. I think what happend in my case was that one time a couple of days ago when I deleted a voice mail somehow the stutter tone did not get reset. Once that happens the message waiting indicators won't go out until you get another voice mail and delete it, resetting the dial tone.

New Poster

help me re set my voice mail

Frequent Visitor

If you have a Panasonic base station and handset(s), try pressing the # sign on the handset until it beeps.  That was what my manual told me to do if the indicator for voice mail was on.

New Poster

Try going to http://vmail.connect.comcast.net/voice/

I found a list of voicemails I didn't know I had. I clicked the checkbox next to 'from' and clicked the Delete button above it.

Frequent Visitor

Thanks for posting that tip. Worked like a charm.

Frequent Visitor

Sherpa10 wrote:

Try going to http://vmail.connect.comcast.net/voice/

I found a list of voicemails I didn't know I had. I clicked the checkbox next to 'from' and clicked the Delete button above it.

Can't get rid of the Voice Mail Message either....  When I go to check for voicemails, I do not even see the option to check my voicemails in the menu on the left.  Just the "Missed, Answered and Placed" menu items.  Does the option to see/hear your voicemails only show up if there are actually some?  Dialing *99 also says that I have no voicemails, but my home (portable phone) still says that I have "New Voice Mail".

This is a royal pain in the but...   Does Comcast have an answer to this problem!

New Poster

That web page does seem flaky -- in my browser the Voicemail menu item appears above Missed Calls whether I have voicemails or not. When a webpage isn't working, I switch to Chrome or Firefox.

Frequent Visitor

Same problem here.  I've tried leaving a new VM message then deleting it, also tried resetting my Panasonic phones, basestation and all remotes.  No Luck.  Still getting the pulsed Dial Tone.

Comcast has a problem.

Is anyone working on this issue?

Frequent Visitor

Sherpa10 wrote:

That web page does seem flaky -- in my browser the Voicemail menu item appears above Missed Calls whether I have voicemails or not. When a webpage isn't working, I switch to Chrome or Firefox.

Hmmm.   I tried it in Firefox and Chrome as well and still now menu item for Voice Mail....

I hope this is something else that Comcast/Xfinity is working on.

New Poster

I have had a similar issue for the past several days; have a wired wall phone (old AT&T model with caller ID) in the kitchen, but use a wireless Uniden as my "base" phone, with a Vtech in the bedroom and its remote extension in my garage.  The Vtech in the bedroom flashes red whenever I have voicemail, and although I had checked and deleted all messages (including two saved ones), and unplugged/reset that phone, I still had the stutter tone and the flashing light; used the menu option to get rid of the flashing light but the stutter tone is still there.  May try the aforementioned option to leave myself a voice message and delete it later...thanks for the knowledge-basing for the technologically challennged!  (LOL)  -scn- 

Regular Visitor

Thanks for posting, this worked for me Smiley Happy

New Poster

That was the answer I was looking for

Regular Visitor

I had this same problem for about 18 hours and could not get rid of it. Removed power cords, reset the modem, all without success. I tried deleting from an outside phone, but that did not work either.

Finally saw this advice to leave yourself a message from another phone and delete that message.

Worked like a charm. Thanks for the help;

Frequent Visitor

RE: "Is anyone working on this issue?".

I doubt it.  I've had the problem 3 times, now, in the past year.  Twice it got handled by a phone call to Comcast/Xfinity, but this last time I was told it could NOT be corrected by the customer service rep I was talking to (on 5/23/14) and "Gail" said she would submit a work order for the problem and it would be fixed within 24 hours, guaranteed! Well, this is two hundred and twenty three hours later and I still have the same problem at this moment.

Regular Visitor

Is anyone else irritated by the recurring issue?  In my perspective Comcast is not working on the problem.  Another example of customer service going, going, gone.

New Poster

This worked for me.  I called my Comcast phone from my mobile phone, left a message and then logged into my Comcast voice mail, hit 1 to listen, then 7 to erase and voila, the indicater light went out.

New Poster

voice mail indicator always on

New Poster

oice mail indicator on , no messages in the mail boxv

New Poster

Tried 'calling yourself and leaving a message' trick. Worked beautifully! Thank you aa4pb

New Poster

I'm new to comcast. I can't even delete my voicemail messages - because the link: http://voice.connect.comcast.net/voice/ says "Sorry voicemail is temporarily unavailable. We are working on fixing the problem." Can anybody help. The VM notice and dialtone stutter is annoying. Whats more, when somebody calls while the line is in use they get dumped to voicemail which says "I'm sorry the mailbox you've called is not in service". I've had a ticket open with help desk for over 4 days and there's no activity. Running out of options on getting this resolved. My family is ticked with me for going with comcast. 

Frequent Visitor

I think I've found the source of this very intermittent stutter-tone issue. When I save a received voice mail, the stutter-tone (and the indicator light on the phone) stay on. This part is probably okay because it is indicating that there is still a voice mail present. When I later delete the saved voice mail, the stutter-tone does not clear. The only way I can clear it is to leave myself another voice mail and then delete that voice mail. So, I think the problem occurs when deleting a "saved" voice mail - and it's something that only Comcast can fix.

New Poster

Solution: call your number and leave a message. Then go to voicemail and check your.message. Thst will clear the false.message indicators.
New Poster

Priscilla,

Call yourself and leave message. Check the message and delete. This will clear the que for message alert tones and lights. It worked for me a couple of months ago and for everyone I've suggested it to. Hope this helps.

New Poster

Call yourself and leave a message. 

Check the message and delete it.

Problem should clear.

Frequent Visitor

Holding down the # key is a temporary fix. You will find that the flasing light and message comes back on. I called myself 2x from my cell phone and each time left a message. Then I retrieved those from my Comcast phone and deleted them. So far so good. 

New Poster

Glad it worked out for you. So far, the condition hasn't returned for my computer/phone connection to VZ.
Best?
Lee
New Poster

I have a Panasonic phone and press the # key for a few minutes until the message light beeps off.

Regular Visitor

I have used this several times. I listen to the saved message(s) and keep them as unread. I then listen to the message(s) and save them. Then the new voicemail notification is deleted.

Mike

New Poster

Holding down the # key worked and the problem has not reoccured.

Contributor

Iam having the same problem and can't get Help !!!!!

New Poster

It worked. I was going bonkers! Thank you!

New Poster

Sherpa10 was (for me) the correct answer. Thanks again Sherpa10.

Expert

1 1/2 Year Old Thread being closed.