Community Forum

Toll Call Blocking Feature

Frequent Visitor

Toll Call Blocking Feature

Hey there all you fellow Comcast Xfinity members!

I am a blind woman who's been a customer with Comcast since 2002 (the time I got my very own email address), and have had my own Comcast services since I moved into an apartment in 2012, and I was wondering if any of you could help me with this problem I'm having. I've been having trouble with dialing a specific toll-free number since at least 12:00 noon on February 1 of this year. Basically what happens is, I dial the number, and it performs this strange pattern. Rather than ring two times and go to the company's main greeting, which is an automated system of menu options, it instead rings four times, then goes straight to a busy tone! Thinking that the number is busy, I dial again, then it rings four times and is followed by the operator SIT tone, and a message that says, "We're sorry, the number you are trying to reach is no longer in service.", followed by the operator tone. Then it goes through the operator message a second time, and goes straight to a busy tone. This is rather frustrating, because I can dial it from the phone at the headquarters of my apartment complex, and it does what it's supposed to do. It rings twice, then goes to the company's main greeting (the automated system of menu options). Then I pressed 0 to reach the operator, and I explained to the woman who answered the phone, a woman named Kristen (I'm not sure how she actually spells her name), what was going on. However, since she's new at the company, she said she has to talk to her boss, possibly the head administrator, Amy [removed name], with whom I'm familiar, to figure out what's going on. This has never happened on my phone before. It seems I can dial other numbers, whether local, long-distance, toll-free, or even International, with no problems at all, but this one seems to be giving me trouble. I recently switched from a rental modem to a customer-owned modem which I purchased from Amazon on February 20 of this year in order to decrease the price of my bill, and I know it's not my modem, since that's brand-new. On March 20 of this year, a Comcast tech guy came to my house, and confirmed that there's absolutely nothing wrong with my phone. I've been on the phone with Comcast Technical Support, Comcast Advanced Technical Support, and even Tier 3 Customer Service, where it seems that the majority of the time, I have representatives who speak English, but with very heavy accents. They all seem to refer to me as "Miss [removed name]" (Yes, that's one R, not two R's), which I absolutely hate, because I'm not a teacher of students, just a customer. However, when I'm on the phone with the Comcast Accessibility Department, I get people who speak unaccented English, which is easier to understand, and they're a lot nicer to me, when I ask them to please refer to me as "Annabelle", they actually listen to me. Either way, Deborah [removed name] at the Accessibility department, confirmed that like the tech guys said, there's nothing wrong with my phone. They did, however, tell me about a feature called "Toll Call Blocking", which they believe the company I'm trying to reach has enabled on their side. Deborah said something about there being a problem with the "Terminating Carrier", which I'm not quite sure what that is. The company I'm referring to is Pain Care Labs, with which I've been a customer since 2015. I tried some possible sollutions on my side, but I only get the same result. For example, I tried dialing *67, followed by the toll-free number, but then I get a message that says, "You're call cannot be completed because your account has been restricted. Please dial 611 for assistance.". That's strange, since there's really nothing wrong with my phone. I then tried *82 followed by the toll-free number, but the rings and busy tone cycle still occurs. The number in question I'm trying to dial is [removed number]. I've even tried the company's local number, [removed number], but I get the same result, several rings followed by a busy tone. At the accessibility department at Comcast, Deborah was able to dial the number and put me through to the company, however, I had to leave a message on their answering machine, as it was "After Hours" (Their hours are Monday through Friday, 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM EST, as the company is based in Atlanta, Georgia.). In the message I left, I explained what was going on, but I still haven't received an answer from them. I know I haven't blocked incoming calls from this number, so I don't understand what's going on. Can anybody please be so kind as to explain to me what this "Terminating Carrier" and "Toll Call Blocking" stuff is all about? I would kindly appreciate it!

Official Employee

Re: Toll Call Blocking Feature

Hey there, Annabelle2, thank you for taking the time to reach out to us here on the forums. 

I get how important it is to be able to dial any number, and I'm sorry to hear about the issues you're running into! I can help take a look at this further with you. To get started, can you please send me a PM with your first and last name? Thank you. 

I've removed all personal information from your public post. 

To send me a Private Message, please click my name “ComcastAlly” and click “send a message.”

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!