Community Forum

Texting on landline phone number

Highlighted
New Poster

Texting on landline phone number

How do I delete text messaging from my landline phone number. So I don't receive them on my landline number anymore. Thanks
Highlighted
Contributor

Re: Texting on landline phone number

A Very Good Question. After several CS agents assured me for 3 days that they were working on disabling text on my account, and giving me a repair ticket number, rather than say they could not do it, I finally received an unacceptable answer that it was baked into the Xfinity Voice non-cell service and cannot be disabled. But there must be a business decision not to let customers opt out of Text Messaging on their Voice service, even when it is a ported number from Verizon landline service w/o Text. They do not want their customers to opt out of that particular voice feature but will allow opting out of call waiting and voicemail. Go figure. I'm faced with having to explore alternate carriers for my landline service, after all the sturm and drang of activating my voice service, porting my number from Verizon, and THEN trying to disable all the automatically activated intrusive features that my Verizon service was blessedly free of. There should, at least, be an ability to block incoming numbers that text you, as there is for voice callers, I sure can't find such an ability. Good luck!
Highlighted
Contributor

Of Course It Is Possible to allow Comcast Voice customers to opt out/request disabling Text Messaging on their non-cell Comcast Voice service. C'cast just doesn't want you to do it because of some dubious business reason.
Highlighted
Contributor

The Heavens Open ! Comcast has read the writing on the wall and announced the end of Text Messaging on Xfinity Voice non-cell phone numbers. Yeah! C'cast Msg Jan. 21/5:29pm: "The Xfinity text messaging feature is going away Changes are coming to your Xfinity Voice service. We'll be retiring the Xfinity text messaging feature, which includes the textback feature, within the Xfinity Connect app and Xfinity Connect website on 03/24/2020. Click below to learn more about the retirement of Xfinity text messaging and how to save any messages or content shared while you were using this feature. As of 03/24/2020 this content will no longer be available. . . . . " Guess this forum can, in fact, keep some sanity in Comcast's consideration of their customer's privacy concerns. Success. Yeah! R K Hoke Kingston, NJ Ya know, Comcast could have kept Text Messaging on their Xfinity Voice non-cell phone accounts and just allowed some customers to opt out of that feature as they could the other voice features. Looks like the whole text deal was a no-sell/no-ROI for land lines.
C'cast text splain.png
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

A few people compain they can't turn the feature off and now Comcast yanks the plug on the feature for everyone?

What Gives?!

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

This stinks.  I was happy to use this featrure.  Suggestions for a replacement texting app?  I do not own a cell phone so it would need to be web based.

Highlighted
New Poster

I agree, totally stupid on COMCAST fault. Text to phone should be a legimate feature available, and now its going away, and yet, they still want their full payment every month.

@JDKay wrote:

A few people compain they can't turn the feature off and now Comcast yanks the plug on the feature for everyone?

What Gives?!

Highlighted
New Poster

I agree; this stinks.  I, too, do not have a smartphone, and the texting ability by landline was great for reaching my daughter.  They raised the cost of my plan by 41% and then take away an important feature.

Does Comcast just love to irritate its customers?

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

I have a smartphone (which I rarely even turn on), but I still like using the landline text option. I can access it from my iPad while doing other things. It is so handy.

Highlighted
New Poster

I really hope Comcast reconsiders this decision.  I think the texting feature is wonderful!!  I have a smart phone, but on several occasions friends and family have accidentally texted me using my landline number.  Currently, I still get these messages.  Will these text messages just 'disappear' after March31?  Very disappointing!!

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Everyone who does NOT want to see this feature disappear should phone Xfinity and record a formal complaint with them. Perhaps they will listen if enough people call them.

I get that there are those that don't want the feature, but there are those that do and who have the Voice service specifically because it can do this. Make it a configuration option, or an extra service you can opt in to or out of... but don't take it away altogether!

Highlighted
Contributor

I have Xfinity VOICE only for the TEXTING FEATURE!! I DO NOT SPEAK and it's certainly the most advantageous way for Doctors, and others to contact me. Loosing this 'FEATURE' I'll be required to move back to CELL and my # that I've had for 30+ years can't be 'PORTED' to Xfinity/Verizon. I emailed a CS Rep @ am Xfinity Store but haven't  been advised of a thing. 

I'm certainly not looking forward to changes. 

New Poster

In as much as we live in an area that does not get any cell service, Comcast really put us into a horrible situation in being able to text. We are both disabled and cannot text our family. Smooth move Comcast / Xfinity. It makes us wonder what your next feature will be removed with a rate increase.
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Since Comcast pulled the plug on texting, I've been using textfree.us for texting via a browser or app on a tablet.  One downside is that you get a new phone number for this specific purpose.  It does work and I've been satisfied.

Highlighted
New Poster

I agree.  Yes, there are frustrating spam texts, (not unlike all the frustrating phone spam and spoofed number calls we get), but the texting service was very useful.