Community Forum

TG862G/CT for voice & SB6183 for data?

Frequent Visitor

TG862G/CT for voice & SB6183 for data?

hi there,

I purchased the TG862G/CT because I knew it would get me out of paying Comcast a modem fee every month. I was on Extreme 150 at the time, which was the highest tier, at the time.

Now, Extreme 250 is available and I upgraded at my local store without checking compatibility. Of course, there are no eMTA RETAIL modems which can run E250.

Can I buy a SB6183 to get the E250 data package and leave voice provisioned on my existing eMTA modem? Will that cause more headaches than it's worth?

Is there a standalone eMTA retail device I could alternately use in conjunction with a SB6183?

I currently use my TG862G/CT in bridge mode with pfSense, so I have no issues uncoupling the functionality if it means I can keep avoiding the modem rental fees.

Thanks for your help!
Frequent Visitor

Re: TG862G/CT for voice & SB6183 for data?

Any ideas here? I don't want to try this until I hear whether it's allowed
Gold Problem Solver

xaj wrote:
Any ideas here? I don't want to try this until I hear whether it's allowed

You may want to call Comcast and ask the direct question...  only a handful of Comcast Staff ever look in these forums....

-=Ray=-

Frequent Visitor

I learned long ago to NEVER call comcast on the phone. They ALWAYS muck up my bill when I call on the phone.

Next suggestion? Anyone done this?

Gold Problem Solver

xaj wrote:

I learned long ago to NEVER call comcast on the phone. They ALWAYS muck up my bill when I call on the phone.

Next suggestion? Anyone done this?

YOu might want to ask this question over in the Basic Networking Forum, or possibly the Home Networking Forum.... lots of very exsperienced forum members there who may tell you something different....  but to my knowledge, having 2 modem capable devices on the same residential account will be a local market decision....

Silver Problem Solver

It has been done before, but don't know if anyone has been able to do this recently, with the new speeds. There are no retail eMTA's approved for 250. They may try to stick you with one of their gateway rentals, if you call

I'd suggest going the Email route to we_can_help@comcast.com

Include all account details and a good contact number, they usually call the same day.

Good Luck!

(You might find that you'll just have to bite the bullet and rent, or drop Voice).

Frequent Visitor

Just to follow up, I was able to do this on my account just fine in the rocky mountain region.

Diamond Problem Solver

Two and a half year old thread now being closed.