Community Forum

Pulse Dialing: Is It a Possibility?

Frequent Visitor

Pulse Dialing: Is It a Possibility?

Hey there, all you fellow Comcast Xfinity members. I have had Comcast's phone service since 2012, when I moved into my own apartment, and something seems to have struck my curiosity. I have a Big Button Plus 20200 corded telephone, made by Northwestern Bell, which I purchased from Lighthouse International, a company based in New York City that specializes in products and services for the blind. This phone has a keypad with raised print and Braille numbers, as well as a speed dial memory for 10 phone numbers that can be programmed on the number keys 0-9. It also has three one-touch keys for programming the numbers for Fire, Hospital, and Police. But the most interesting feature it has is a switch, which you can toggle to select either Touchtone Dialing or Rotary Pulse Dialing. This brings up my question. Does Comcast Digital Voice service let you have a phone that can dial in rotary pulse dial mode? Or even an old-fashioned rotary dial phone? The reason why I ask this question is because when I switch my phone to Rotary Pulse Dial mode, and I attempt to dial a number, it seems to hang on the dial tone. Whereas when I select Touchtone Dial mode, the dial tone is immediately broken when the first digit is dialed. I believe that it would be interesting for me to have both dial modes, since my phone has the ability to choose between the two. If Rotary Pulse dial service is available, would it cost extra on my bill? If so, how much?
Gold Problem Solver

Re: Pulse Dialing: Is It a Possibility?

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/get-started-digital-voice-features says:

Rotary telephones are not compatible with Xfinity Voice service.

There is at least one Forum post that suggests pulse dialing may be possible, but it doesn't say how. See https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Phone-Archive/Landline-rotary-phone-does-not-work-in-my-house/m-p/2564....

Frequent Visitor

@BruceW wrote:

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/get-started-digital-voice-features says:

Rotary telephones are not compatible with Xfinity Voice service.

There is at least one Forum post that suggests pulse dialing may be possible, but it doesn't say how. See https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Phone-Archive/Landline-rotary-phone-does-not-work-in-my-house/m-p/2564....

The modem I have is an Arris Touchstone, model TM822G, which I purchased from Amazon.com for $80. I wonder if there's a setting that could be changed within the modem to support both dial modes. If so, what setting is it, and how would I go about this? Would I have to have sighted help to change this setting?
Gold Problem Solver

@Annabelle2 wrote: ... TM822G ... I wonder if there's a setting that could be changed within the modem to support both dial modes. ...

I don't know, but I would doubt it. If there is such a setting, I imagine that Comcast does not allow customers to have access to it.

Ideally, a Comcast employee would reply with a definitive answer to your question, but don't hold your breath waiting for that to happen. The support article linked above is probably the most we can expect to see.

Official Employee

Hi Annabelle2. We appreciate you visiting and posting on the Xfinity Forums. In some cases, certainly modems have a back office toggle that can be set to allow pulse dialing. I can assist in getting an Advanced Repair ticket opened for you so our team can look into getting this adjusted for you. Please send me a private message and include your full name so I can assist you. Click my name (ComcastJoeTru) to view my profile, then click the link that says "Send a message". There you can private message me. 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Official Employee

Hi Annabelle2. Since we didn't see a response from you, this thread has been locked. Please don't hesitate to send me a private message if you continue to need help with this issue, or create a new post if you need assistance with anything else. Thank you.

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!