Community Forum

Obscene call from 800-266-2278?

Highlighted
Contributor

Obscene call from 800-266-2278?

I have been receiving almost daily calls from 800-266-2278.  They show up as "Comcast" on Caller-ID. Every other time they just hang up after a few seconds. Today a guy with a british accent asked for a name I did not recognize. Wanting these calls to stop, I asked him what he was calling about.  He then asked me a question which was borderline obscene.  What is going on?

Problem Solver

Re: Obscene call from 800-266-2278?

@moreofless wrote:

I have been receiving almost daily calls from 800-266-2278.  They show up as "Comcast" on Caller-ID. Every other time they just hang up after a few seconds. Today a guy with a british accent asked for a name I did not recognize. Wanting these calls to stop, I asked him what he was calling about.  He then asked me a question which was borderline obscene.  What is going on?

It sounds like a "spoofing" scam.  Scammers can use any number. Best is not to answer and

if important they will leave a legit message.

Official Employee

Re: Obscene call from 800-266-2278?

Good evening, moreofless. We appreciate you reaching out to us and creating a post for support. It's concerning to hear about the type of calls you've been receiving from what looks to be our phone number. As another user posted, it is referred to as Caller ID Spoofing. I wanted to provide you with this helpful link on it: https://comca.st/2ErpD7z that can help you learn a bit more about it, what you can do about it and how to defend yourself. Let us know what other questions you make have. We are sorry this happened!

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!