Community Forum

Nomorobo setup

Frequent Visitor

Re: Nomorobo setup

@JazJon wrote:

Wow guys, really? What's with all the unhelpful posts?   Not eveyone is very technical so it's always best to just spell things out.    This whole setup is so convelluted a complete walk through and bug fig work around is warranted. 

________________________________________________________________________________________________

JazJon, I deleted most of your original message from the quote above, but I wanted to show enough of it for you to know what I'm replying to.

Your message is one of the few clear voices of reason in this discussion. Instead of angry rants that only vent the feelings of frustrated users, you gave solid information on how to solve the problem. I was looking for a solution and you provided it. I was able to set up Nomorobo without getting things all messed up, and I posted the main points of your message (I gave you full credit for the ideas), with some extra comments from me, in another discussion thread on Nomorobo, so the persons there can benefit from your experience.

That seems to be a real problem with these forums -- the same topic can be discussed under different headings, and unless users read all of them, they may not know that a solution to their problem has been found. I found your message by doing a keyword search on "nomorobo" to find any posts that used the word and clicked through all the links that came back. I read a lot of unhelpful posts before I came across your very helpful post.

Thanks for the good work, JazJon. You saved me from a lot of frustration.

Frequent Visitor

Unfortunately JazJon's post didn't work for me.  It got me excited, but the outcome was still the same...  and it deals with Advance call forwarding.  When I go to mine I get an error message -

Sorry, there was a problem retrieving your Advanced Call Forwarding settings.

Please contact Comcast Customer Care with the following message: "No SNS phone numbers configured."

I thought ok, clicking the gears might give me a different outcome and I'd be able to finally forward to nomorobo...  NOPE, still getting the same error.  So not all of us find your post as a fix, although thanks for trying!

And yes,  I've contacted customer care service MANY times with the error.  No one from the bottom on up to the techs can find a solution. I'm getting so many robo calls that I would pay good money if someone had the smarts to fix it.  Ironically, my Voice2go app works on my cell phone.  I have no issues with it.  So I don't understand why I can't access the Advanced Call Forwarding options to finally setup nomorobo. If any Comcast employee/ or smart person in general reading this can help I would really appreciate it!

Frequent Visitor

@thedreamfinder wrote:

Unfortunately JazJon's post didn't work for me.  It got me excited, but the outcome was still the same...  and it deals with Advance call forwarding.  When I go to mine I get an error message -

Sorry, there was a problem retrieving your Advanced Call Forwarding settings.

Please contact Comcast Customer Care with the following message: "No SNS phone numbers configured."

I thought ok, clicking the gears might give me a different outcome and I'd be able to finally forward to nomorobo...  NOPE, still getting the same error.  So not all of us find your post as a fix, although thanks for trying!

And yes,  I've contacted customer care service MANY times with the error.  No one from the bottom on up to the techs can find a solution. I'm getting so many robo calls that I would pay good money if someone had the smarts to fix it.  Ironically, my Voice2go app works on my cell phone.  I have no issues with it.  So I don't understand why I can't access the Advanced Call Forwarding options to finally setup nomorobo. If any Comcast employee/ or smart person in general reading this can help I would really appreciate it!

Error messages can be very cryptic and uninformative. I had no idea what "SNS phone numbers" meant, but I Googled the term and learned that SNS stands for Social Network Site. I still don't have much of an idea what this is all about, but there are lots of messages on support forums about the problem. The messages I read suggest that it has something to do with logging in to a site using the log-in information for some social site like Facebook instead of a user name and password that belongs to the site you're logging in to. They also suggest that the information about you can't be accessed directly because it is not on your phone but at Facebook, Have you done anything like that? (I have to repeat that I don't really understand this, but it might make some sense to you and give you a clue as to what to do. Mentioning it to them might help customer care agents recognize what needs to be done. Good luck.)

Frequent Visitor

Thanks for the help.  Unfortunately I googled all of that which lead me to this post. It seems a couple of others are getting the same error I am.  I understand what SNS means in tech terms,  but we log into Comcast with our Comcast account ID's not with another social network.  Also the error says to contact customer service,  so they should understand what it is and how to fix it.  I really appreciate you trying to help,  but not all of us are in the same boat,  so what works for some isn't working for others.  I think that's why I was a little upset with your post in its beginning.  You make it sound like you have to be a moron not to get it working.  I'm not one and have done all the routes.  You would figure if an error message tells you to contact customer service with the following error they would know what it means and how to fix it.

Frequent Visitor

@thedreamfinder wrote:

Thanks for the help.  Unfortunately I googled all of that which lead me to this post. It seems a couple of others are getting the same error I am.  I understand what SNS means in tech terms,  but we log into Comcast with our Comcast account ID's not with another social network.  Also the error says to contact customer service,  so they should understand what it is and how to fix it.  I really appreciate you trying to help,  but not all of us are in the same boat,  so what works for some isn't working for others.  I think that's why I was a little upset with your post in its beginning.  You make it sound like you have to be a moron not to get it working.  I'm not one and have done all the routes.  You would figure if an error message tells you to contact customer service with the following error they would know what it means and how to fix it.

I have re-read my message several times and I don't see that I suggested anybody is a moron not to get it working. I'm sorry I gave that impression. I admitted that I didn't understand the message about SNS enough to do anything more than suggest ideas that might work, so if anybody is the moron, it's me. I reported in my first message that after reading dozens of complaints I finally got to JazJon's message and found that I got Nomorobo working by following his instructions, which included one critically important detail that I had never seen elsewhere. I thought that clicking on that little gear icon was the key to getting Nomorobo to work. I was wrong. His instructions did not mention a problem with SNS and I didn't get any message about SNS, so I did not know that the problem would arise with some users even after they gained access to Advanced Call Forwarding. You're right in saying that what works for some doesn't work for others. I'm in another discussion right now about the xfinitywifi signal that Comcast seems to automatically put on some installations and not on some others, and I have never seen what others swear they see on their screens. A lot of other users are in the same boat with me, and a lot of others are in the other boat. 

Expert

@mauricecrouse wrote:

@thedreamfinder wrote:

I have re-read my message several times and I don't see that I suggested anybody is a moron not to get it working. I'm sorry I gave that impression. I admitted that I didn't understand the message about SNS enough to do anything more than suggest ideas that might work, so if anybody is the moron, it's me. I reported in my first message that after reading dozens of complaints I finally got to JazJon's message and found that I got Nomorobo working by following his instructions, which included one critically important detail that I had never seen elsewhere. I thought that clicking on that little gear icon was the key to getting Nomorobo to work. I was wrong. His instructions did not mention a problem with SNS and I didn't get any message about SNS, so I did not know that the problem would arise with some users even after they gained access to Advanced Call Forwarding. You're right in saying that what works for some doesn't work for others. I'm in another discussion right now about the xfinitywifi signal that Comcast seems to automatically put on some installations and not on some others, and I have never seen what others swear they see on their screens. A lot of other users are in the same boat with me, and a lot of others are in the other boat. 

The "xfinitywifi" that is appearing on some users is CC rolling out thier public wifi program....   Each user's gateway will allow CC cutomers to sign-in with thier individual CC account and have access to public Wifi....

This is not everywhere at this time, and is being rolled out in selected markets.  That is why you see some people with it and others not seeing it yet.

If you are uncomfortable with allowing others to access the public side of the wifi, which btw has no effect on your account settings or your bandwidth, there is a section in the MY ACOUNT - Users & Preferences - Service Address area where you cqan OPT-OUT of allowing your modem to be used for this purpose....

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

@geek46 wrote:

The "xfinitywifi" that is appearing on some users is CC rolling out thier public wifi program....   Each user's gateway will allow CC cutomers to sign-in with thier individual CC account and have access to public Wifi....

This is not everywhere at this time, and is being rolled out in selected markets.  That is why you see some people with it and others not seeing it yet.

If you are uncomfortable with allowing others to access the public side of the wifi, which btw has no effect on your account settings or your bandwidth, there is a section in the MY ACOUNT - Users & Preferences - Service Address area where you cqan OPT-OUT of allowing your modem to be used for this purpose....

To save space, I edited out of the quoted material the parts you had quoted from earlier messages. (To other users: Sorry that I'm off-topic because I'm writing about the response that geek46 made to my mention of the xfinity access points in my previous message.)

I know all the arguments, both for and against the xfinitywifi hot spot. What you say about opting out is precisely what most users in the other forum are NOT seeing when they go to the Users & Preferences tab. So it is very much like the messages here about Nomorobo -- some users see one thing, others don't see it, and we're all mystified as to why that's happening. I actually favor the idea of public wifi hotspots and wondered why I didn't get one when Comcast made the installation three weeks ago. I had heard you could opt in or out, using the procedure you mention. But all I got was a message extolling the virtues of xfinity wifi.

Just for fun, I worked out the steps I used in trying (unsuccessfully) to apply logic to my situation. I think my conclusion applies to the matter of Nomorobo and probably to everything else that Comcast does:

1. Comcast would like to get as many xfinity customers as possible.
2. One way to attract customers is to have as many xfinity wifi access points as possible.
3. Therefore, Comcast has adopted a policy of putting a separate xfinity access point on every installation, including residences as well as businesses.
4. Because some customers will not like to have an xfinity access point on their installation (although it is entirely separate from the customers’ wifi system, costs nothing, and does not degrade the customers’ bandwidth), for good customer relations it will be made optional.
5. Comcast will end up with more xfinity access points by first placing the points on all customers’ installations and then allowing them to opt out than by requiring customers to opt in if they want an xfinity access point.
6. Therefore, Comcast will automatically put an xfinity access point on every installation and inform customers that they may opt out (and later opt back in if they change their minds).
7. This policy cannot be implemented in every market at the same time, so the xfinity access points will not appear on all customers’ wifi signals but only in active market areas.
8. Houses that are adjacent to each other are usually in the same market area.
9. My next-door neighbor has been a Comcast customer for a long time and has an xfinity access point on his wifi signal, so the xfinity access points are available in my market area.
10. Therefore, when I get a Comcast installation I could expect to have an xfinity access point on my wifi signal, whether or not I want one.
11. BUT – I do not.
12. BUT I should then be able to click on a link provided by Comcast to opt in or opt out, if I want an xfinity access point on my wifi signal.
13. BUT when I click on the link I get only an ad extolling the virtues of xfinity, with no ability to opt in or out.
14. AND, the user forum is full of messages from customers who got the xfinity access point automatically and want to opt out, but they get either the same message or a message saying that there is a system error.
14. THEREFORE, logic is not very useful in understanding how Comcast operates.
15. Sometimes the expected behavior actually occurs; at other times it does not.
16. THEREFORE, you never know what to expect of Comcast.

Frequent Visitor

@mauricecrouse wrote:

14. THEREFORE, logic is not very useful in understanding how Comcast operates.

I couldn't agree more Smiley Sad  I wish there was some logic to this all.  I remember having an issue a long time ago with the caller ID not showing up on my TV's... ironically the customer service rep (after a few run arounds from others) found the issue.  It was a simple flag on my account that needed to be removed. A setting that took just a few seconds to fix and yet caused a feature I really wanted to not work. The good news - eventually it was resolved,  but finding just the right person who knew what to look for was more of the issue.

Frequent Visitor

thedreamfinder, I had a similar experience, but I didn't have to go through bouncing from one person to another like you did before getting a solution. I started an online chat about another matter, got that worked out quickly, and when the agent asked if there was anything else that she could do, I just casually mentioned that incoming calls weren't showing up on the TV. She said it was probably a code not set properly, dropped out of the chat for a few moments, came back on to say she got it fixed. And she was right. In fact, I've had pretty good luck with chat persons.

Frequent Visitor

So I finally got it to work!  After a ton of different things to try I went to this page-

https://customer.comcast.com/Secure/VoiceSettings.aspx

Turned off the voice2go status on the phone number and then waited.  This morning it seems to now be working fine.  I think for those having issues they could at least try this.  Maybe turn it off (voice2go status) and wait... then turn it back on.  It worked for me!  :smileyhappy: 

New Poster

Thedreamfinder's solution is what finally worked for me after two hours fruitless chatting with Comcast Technical Support. Thanks so much.

Regular Visitor

Incredible these problems are still ongoing in October as they were first put on the forum in January.  Thanks much Comcast for all the contributiions and the help all 7 or your agents gave for 2 hours the last two days LOL.

Sarahin a March posting on this forum,  identifies the major problem caused by the instructions from both Comcast and NOMOROBO - "do not forward all calls."  As Sarah said, how can you not do so as the options do not permit otherwise when you enter the nomorobo number as one to which you want your calls forwarded.  THE ANSWER is not as Comcast implies - to not forward all calls.  On the contrary, the options make it so you must forward all your calls, or none,  to nomorobo so they can screen all of them for robo callers.  HOWEVER, you must ALSO  list your own number for your home phone (presuming that is the one you want nomorobo to screen for) as a number you want all your calls forwarded to. 

The reason you must also list your home phone as a number to forward calls to is that if you do not, all calls will be forwarded only to nomorobo, and after nomorobo determines a call is not from a robo, they send the call back to you.  But, it then gets forwarded by Comcast back to nomorobo as you told comcast to forward ALL your calls.  So without listing your home phone number as a number to forward to, your will be stuck in a loop.  

On the other hand, if you also list your home phone as a number to forward the original calls to, then a call to your phone gets forwarded to nomorobo and to your home phone.  So think of such a call as simultaneously ringing at nomorobo and your home.  If it is from a robo, nomorobo quickly (before you can answer it) "answers the call and hangs up on the robocaller, thus terminating the call on both your home line and the nomorobo line.  However, if the call is not from a robo, nomorobo does not "answer" the call and terminate it.  So the simultaneous ringing on your phone, the fowarded call, continues so you can answer the call (from other than a robo caller).  

THE OTHER PROBLEM in so many of the posts in this forum is all comcast.  I has to do with the "advanced call forwarding" option on the voice 2 go and the xfinity connect app.  It appears to me that it takes at least 2 and perhaps 3 business days for comcast to get that working for you after you get the xfinity connect app and activate it.   Only then will you be able to see on the screen and use the option to forward ALL of your calls to both your home phone line and to nomorobo.  

One more non-NOMOROBO problem comcast has promulgated - calling your home phone with the xfinity connect app.  By default the app associated your home phone number with the app and until you associate another number with that app you will be calling your home phone with your home phone = busy signal.  You must go to the xfinity connect  page:  comcast.com, my account, users and preferences, sign in again, users and preferences, email and voice settings, to the right in a small box click "voice 2 go", "add personal phone numbers", as well as get to the advanced call forward option by click on the blue link "xfinity connect.".  

Most Valued Poster

@dixie44 wrote:

Update:  What you have to do, after setup, is to go on you cell phone Settings>Privacy>Contacts and ENable Xfinity Connect.  I believe what is happing once you enable Xfinity Connect is when a call to your home phone is placed Xfinity "reads" your Contacts (which you have enabled) and see that it is a valid caller and not a robocaller or telemarketer (since you wouldn't have them n your Contacts anyway.

Just set up nomorobo and same thing happening to me.....all calls that come in to land line are getting busy signal. I don't have Privacy in my smartphone settings...help

Most Valued Poster

One more non-NOMOROBO problem comcast has promulgated - calling your home phone with the xfinity connect app.  By default the app associated your home phone number with the app and until you associate another number with that app you will be calling your home phone with your home phone = busy signal.  You must go to the xfinity connect  page:  comcast.com, my account, users and preferences, sign in again, users and preferences, email and voice settings, to the right in a small box click "voice 2 go", "add personal phone numbers", as well as get to the advanced call forward option by click on the blue link "xfinity connect.".  

My voice to go is activated, connect app is on phone but on line I  see no place to 'add personal phone numbers'.

Contributor

I have disconnected nomorobo due to issues with legit phone numbers not being able to come through. It took the phone techs almost a week to get our phone back to normal.  Now, I just block the numbers on the Xfinity web page under voice.

New Poster

Man I feel so sorry for all of us trying to deal with Comcast. But I was able to get Nomorobo working. Here are the settings I used. The trick was to make sure my home number was used in the list of call forward numbers. It seems to be blocking robo calls and letting regular calls come through.

Nomorobo settings

New Poster

how do I set up nomorobo

Expert

@rbbeaudry wrote:

how do I set up nomorobo

The instructions are here but may be a little outdated:  http://customer.xfinity.com/help-and-support/phone/nomorobo?CCT=53BA3D76CB1473BFF49C79FE4AA86DFF1EE2...

If you have specific questions when trying to setup, please plst back in this thead.

The Support Forums are "public" forums and you should not post identifiable information - (full name, account number, address, phone numbers & email addresses).  Users of these forums are Comcast customers, the same as you & me and volunteer their time to assist with the issues and/or problems that you may be experiencing. Comcast Official Employees (OE) are identified with RED lettered User Names. Comcast Appointed Experts are identified with GREEN lettered User Names.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Expert
Moved:

New Poster

There is no bloody save option for completing this stupid program.

Why do all the instructions say "click Save"  when there is no radio button for saving?

New Poster

I have tried this on two different browsers and there is no "save" button for me either. I tried just clicking next on the set up page to test it and it comes back saying my number isn't registered with Nomorobo. So how do you do it when there is no "save" button to continue? I'm using this from the link on Xfinity's voice page, for my landline, not for a cell phone. Never mind, it works!

Contributor

It works fine with Comcast land line, just trying to find out how to add numbers.