Community Forum

Nomorobo... does it block or hang up on robocalls

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Nomorobo... does it block or hang up on robocalls

I'm a little confused with this service. I understand that it will ring once and then the phone stops ringing if it's a robocall... does it actually block them from calling again in the future?

They use the term "block" but I don't understand how that happens if it's a dual-ring system.

"XFINITY Voice service works with Nomorobo to block unsolicited robocalls to your home. Nomorobo is a cloud-based service that hangs up on or blocks illegal robocaller or telemarketer calls from calling the intended home phone number."

Could somone explain this to me.

Problem Solver

Re: Nomorobo... does it block or hang up on roboca

My understanding on how it works is that it hangs up on calls from numbers that are in its database as belonging to robocall sources.  Your phone has to ring at least once to allow the call to be recognized by the service and it quickly determines if that number is in its database or not and if so hangs up on the call.  It has been my experience that if the same robocall number calls back later it will still ring the one time on your home phone and nomorobo will hang up on them again.  

Hope this helps you out.

Frequent Visitor

Thank you for replying. I don't think they should use the term "block" at all then because that's not at all what it's doing.

A "blocked" robocall wouldn't wake me up 6 in the morning (on the west coast)... nomorobo is nice but it's not much help if my phone is still ringing even once.

Problem Solver

I understand your point and for sure that would be very annoying to be woken up at that time of the morning by a robo call, bummer to hear that happens to you and wish you the best of luck in getting things improved.

For a better explanation of nomorobo, I did a quick lookup and found these links.  It wasn't until I read the info on the second link that I realized how they are using the term blocked but do agree with you that its not really getting blocked in the normal sense of how we understand it.

https://nomorobo.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/200536477-How-does-it-work-

https://nomorobo.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/205761825-What-happens-when-a-call-is-blocked-

Hope the additional info helps out.

Frequent Visitor

Thanks again... I'll give them a look Smiley Happy

Official Employee

Hi all, I wanted to chime in here real quick. I use it and I love it. What it does is forwards to their service the call and will continue to do so. The system grabs the information from a robo call list and sends it to a forwarded place. Definitely look at it, it is worth it. 

Regular Contributor

There are phones that have a "silence first ring" feature.  I have a Panasonic wireless system (4 phones) that can do this.  Works great with Nomorobo because it's suppressing the ring at my house and not affecting anything else.  I reccomend you set your answering machine to add an additional ring to allow you to get the phone if you do want to answer.