Xfinity plant
Community Forum
Xfinity globe

New modem. Cordless phones not working.

Frequent Visitor

New modem. Cordless phones not working.

Successfully installed new modem yesterday, Arris tg862g. All is working properly, however the two cordless phones are unusable. Both do not ring and cannot dial out. Both worked previous to new installation. Land line does work. How do I get the two cordless back to working order?

Accepted Solutions
Frequent Visitor

Re: New modem. Cordless phones not working.

Solved. Thank you, Comcast Mark!!!  A "duplex" wall jack issue--connections not complete. All phones working.

All Replies
New Poster

Re: Cordless phones not working.

Just out of the blue  over the weekend all our cordless phone  do not work  one land line phone we have works   H E L P

Regular Contributor

Based on the description of your problem, I assume you are using the phone jacks in your house instead of just the jack on the modem.  Before troubleshooting anything, when you say the land line works, do you mean that one of your corded phones works?  I would recommend getting the base set for your cordless phones and plugging it into the jack on the modem to see if there is a problem with your inside telephone wiring or the Comcast network.   You would plug the phone into the jack on the modem where the phone cord is currently plugged into now.  You should also make sure that the base set is getting AC power, your handsets are charged, and the telephone cord is securely connected to the base set and the phone jack on the wall or modem.  If these steps do not fix your problem, you could call Comcast or send them an email at we_can_help@cable.comcast.com.

One more thing, if you are using the phone jacks in your house, you will need to go to the regular telephone company's NID box on the side of your house and unplug the telephone cord from the test jack because there should not be any telephone signal coming from the regular telephone company's lines onto your inside telephone wiring.

Frequent Visitor

Solved. Thank you, Comcast Mark!!!  A "duplex" wall jack issue--connections not complete. All phones working.

New Poster

Phone works fine, just does not ring!

Tech came to house today to fix our Comcast phone system.  Had no phone service and no internet after a refresh signal was sent, to correct an incoming call issue (busy signal).  Phone system (using cordless and corded phones plugged into regular house jacks, modem line to house jack) now works great (hadn't been able to use it that way for months, but had given up trying to fix via support months ago), except that incoming calls do not ring the phones (either type).  The call alert shows up on the TV when it's on, but no ring.  Tried live chat support, but they told me everything looked good.  Found out from wife (I was at work) that when the tech fixed the problem, he never tried to call the house to fully test out the system.  Not sure where to go next, but Comcast phone, as much as like it when it works, has become such a frustration for family and I, I've about had it.  Anybody have any ideas?

New Poster

Re: Phone works fine, just does not ring!

Phone has stopped ringing, we thought that it was not working except for out bound, 

But when I call the number with a separate cell phone and then pick up the .. non ringing .. Comcast phone which is connected directly to the modem, I can talk to the cell phone. The modem has been reset, and I've tried two different home phones, same thing. No ring. Is there a separate signal for the ring that is not being sent??

Frequent Visitor

New modem installed January 6, since this time my gate codes to open or close the gate to my driveway do not work.Have had Comcast phone service for about 5 years and gate codes always worked with other modem. I have many phone jacks in the house which were prewired when house was built. I can plug a stand alone phone directly into a wall jack and the codes for gate work. However, phones attached to phone system for entire house does not work gate codes? 3 techs have been on site to fix this problem, and it is still not fixed. The supervisor, (by phone) stated gate software needed an upgrade. I stated to her, it was upgraded several months ago and other Comcast modem worked fine with it. The gate software is state of the art and has never failed to deliver in the past. It is Comcasts responsibility to come up with a solution with a modem thats works instead of passing the buck to another excuse. I cannot perseve that Comcast cannot come up with a better answer and do some research on their own. Still waiting for an answer from Comcast.

Regular Contributor

If telephone support cannot resolve your issue, you might try emailing Comcast at we_can-help@cable.comcast.com  People have reported having more luck getting issues resolved with the email department.

If you are using the phone jacks in your house, you might want to check if the telephone line is unplugged from the test jack in the telephone company's NID box so there is no voltage from their lines getting into your home's  telephone  wiring.

New Poster

The problem is Comcast latest modems have inadequate REN (Ringer Equivalent Number). FCC requires supplier to supply 5 or more REN and devices, ie "handsets & telephones" to require 1 or less REN. Initially Comcast was confused, reading the device (telephone) needing LESS than 1 REN as the supplier needing to supply no more than one REN- makes no sense!, but this misunderstanding keeps coming up, obviously in their manuals. The techs admit, or claim to have heard mention of "REN" in passing in training, and typically then rapidly progress to feeling they are expert. So far not one has any better understanding than, after reminding them, that it has to do with ringing the phones. In the 50's, some phones were requiring excess power. Of course, you can hold phone wires w/out problem or shock. BUT, if you happen to be holding them when a ring comes in, you will feel an unpleasant shock at approx 70 volts up from imperceptible. FCC required phones requiring </=1 REN and the phone company to supply each customer 5REN or more so each household could have up to 5 phones and all to ring. Less than required REN causes either no ring, but Comcast TV display & other nonRing functions work, or occasionally what the manuals refer to as a 1/2 ring, sometimes so brief it cannot be heard over daytime background noise. TEch support, service may give lip service to testing their recent modems for REN output, but so far not one tech has been able to do even after prolonged time calling their supervisors.  After I get out my REN meter (BK Precision Telephone Line Analyzer Model 1042) and show them Ring power is below adequate to ring a phone (regardless that electronic phones require less current, they still require a threshold of milliAmps/current with voltage maintained at Ring boosted signaling threshold voltage, 60-70V).

Regardless that I show them the literature, plenty on the internet re: REN or Ringer Equivalents, and/or Number, or manuals, or explain my phones including my wooden antique we rebuilt to <1REN or likewise my phone booth phone, or that we have a 10 extension 4 line cordless AT&T modern phone system & therefore have far fewer phones than even & NEVER had inadequate REN before (with 3 or 4 times as many phones).

All the techs insist my phones/equipment/system is the problem, increasingly as we prove otherwise, and ignore our using our test loop and service panel installed test phone plugged into the test loop port (required unplugging the entire house system) and the only bad wiring they did going first to ATT&’s equipment/box instead of directly to my test loop port disconnecting the house.  Only 1 tech, vaguely realizing the problem, told me that no only would I have to buy the batteries to supply Comcast modem that they charge me for & do not allow me to install my own, which I just did for the one that worked that they removed and will not return & insisted on installing this one, but he told me I would have to buy a REN booster for a couple hundred dollars (and it is only 1 REN boost).

FCC and common sense reading of its regulations, minimal REN is still needed, as is proper tech training and Comcast manuals & test equipment if they are going to compete for & service phone customers.  I expect to get somewhere next week with them and suggest that knowledge of this problem is key to resolution.  Shocking their engineers have been so uninformed, but the industry seems to be in its Wild West era, despite the cable and cellphone companies’ abuses of decades.

Of course in addition to disconnecting our wiring at the test loop to measure the REN, we also checked at the modem itself, both RJ11 phone receps for lines 1 and 2 (we have 2 line Comcast service as well) and same as test loop, less than 5, inadequate REN requiring unplugging over 1/2 our 5 phones, most of which draw far less than 1REN, plugging in any combination of 3 of our phones fails to ring and the inadequate REN is the same with no phones, just one test phone or handset, and barely lower, insignificant according to FCC regs and all literature & manuals on the subject; actually, not insignificant, but rather proving our system works well & proper according to FCC & all sources, but that Comcast is providing <5REN & is the problem.

New Poster

Re: Phone works fine, just does not ring!

The problem is Comcast latest modems have inadequate REN (Ringer Equivalent Number). FCC requires supplier to supply 5 or more REN and devices, ie "handsets & telephones" to require 1 or less REN. Initially Comcast was confused, reading the device (telephone) needing LESS than 1 REN as the supplier needing to supply no more than one REN- makes no sense!, but this misunderstanding keeps coming up, obviously in their manuals. The techs admit, or claim to have heard mention of "REN" in passing in training, and typically then rapidly progress to feeling they are expert. So far not one has any better understanding than, after reminding them, that it has to do with ringing the phones. In the 50's, some phones were requiring excess power. Of course, you can hold phone wires w/out problem or shock. BUT, if you happen to be holding them when a ring comes in, you will feel an unpleasant shock at approx 70 volts up from imperceptible. FCC required phones requiring </=1 REN and the phone company to supply each customer 5REN or more so each household could have up to 5 phones and all to ring. Less than required REN causes either no ring, but Comcast TV display & other nonRing functions work, or occasionally what the manuals refer to as a 1/2 ring, sometimes so brief it cannot be heard over daytime background noise. TEch support, service may give lip service to testing their recent modems for REN output, but so far not one tech has been able to do even after prolonged time calling their supervisors.  After I get out my REN meter (BK Precision Telephone Line Analyzer Model 1042) and show them Ring power is below adequate to ring a phone (regardless that electronic phones require less current, they still require a threshold of milliAmps/current with voltage maintained at Ring boosted signaling threshold voltage, 60-70V).

Regardless that I show them the literature, plenty on the internet re: REN or Ringer Equivalents, and/or Number, or manuals, or explain my phones including my wooden antique we rebuilt to <1REN or likewise my phone booth phone, or that we have a 10 extension 4 line cordless AT&T modern phone system & therefore have far fewer phones than even & NEVER had inadequate REN before (with 3 or 4 times as many phones).

All the techs insist my phones/equipment/system is the problem, increasingly as we prove otherwise, and ignore our using our test loop and service panel installed test phone plugged into the test loop port (required unplugging the entire house system) and the only bad wiring they did going first to ATT&’s equipment/box instead of directly to my test loop port disconnecting the house.  Only 1 tech, vaguely realizing the problem, told me that no only would I have to buy the batteries to supply Comcast modem that they charge me for & do not allow me to install my own, which I just did for the one that worked that they removed and will not return & insisted on installing this one, but he told me I would have to buy a REN booster for a couple hundred dollars (and it is only 1 REN boost).

FCC and common sense reading of its regulations, minimal REN is still needed, as is proper tech training and Comcast manuals & test equipment if they are going to compete for & service phone customers.  I expect to get somewhere next week with them and suggest that knowledge of this problem is key to resolution.  Shocking their engineers have been so uninformed, but the industry seems to be in its Wild West era, despite the cable and cellphone companies’ abuses of decades.

Of course in addition to disconnecting our wiring at the test loop to measure the REN, we also checked at the modem itself, both RJ11 phone receps for lines 1 and 2 (we have 2 line Comcast service as well) and same as test loop, less than 5, inadequate REN requiring unplugging over 1/2 our 5 phones, most of which draw far less than 1REN, plugging in any combination of 3 of our phones fails to ring and the inadequate REN is the same with no phones, just one test phone or handset, and barely lower, insignificant according to FCC regs and all literature & manuals on the subject; actually, not insignificant, but rather proving our system works well & proper according to FCC & all sources, but that Comcast is providing <5REN & is the problem.

Frequent Visitor

a phone jack connected to a stand alone phone works the gate. My phone system for all other phones will not work the gate. None of the phones picks up a voice mail. 3 techs have been to home and not fixed problems. 2 techs have tried fixes from remote locations-not fixed. Why don't you try another modem????

New Poster

Re: Cordless phones not working. Problem solved!

I connected my new modem and the TV and I-net worked fine, but the phones did not work.

I have 3 cordless phones connected to a base station.  I was plugging one of the cordless lines in my computer room directly into the modem – it did not work.

I had to take the base station from downstairs and plug it directly into the modem upstairs

- it works !!!!!

Now the problem is that I have to relocate the base station, which is very inconvenient but doable.