Xfinity plant
Community Forum
Xfinity globe

New Voice Mail shows on phone, but no message

New Poster

New Voice Mail shows on phone, but no message

Just today, my house phone suddenly showed that I have a new voice mail message waiting for me at comcast.  And, when I pick up my handset, my phone "beeps" (as normal) indicating I have a new voice mail message with comcast.  However, when I go into my comcast voice mail, there are no messages. 

Anyone know what causes this ?  Or, how to clear this out - since apparently there is no message.  thanks V.McCullough

Official Employee

Re: New Voice Mail shows on phone, but no message

Hi,

You could:

leave yourself a msg,

and, listen to it on the phone -- or on Xfinity Connect or Xfinity Connect mobile app, if you like

This should clear message waiting indicator.

Hope this helps

New Poster

This does not work to clear message
Most Valued Poster

having the same problem. tried resetting gateway but that didnt work. anyone know how to fix?

New Poster

I am having the same problem.  Just suddenly today my phone says I have a new voice mail message but there are none.  The "solution" left about calling myself and leaving a message does not clear this from the phone.  Are there any answers to this problem?

Thanks.

New Poster

Think I figured out the answer, at least for me.  The calling and leaving a voice mail from my cell phone did not work.  So I did the *99 again, was told there were no messages, and hit *7 and hung up.  The "new voice message" is now gone from my phone.  

New Poster

The *7 method did not work for me after multiple tries.  I had this problem a few weeks ago.  Comcast could not provide an answer after resetting the modem, unplugging the phone cable and power, etc...and then suggested that something was wrong with the telephone hardware.  The GE DEC 6 cordless phone system I was using did not have this problem earlier, so I was skeptical; nonetheless, I purchased a new phone of the same brand and model and installed it.  The new message indicator was gone until someone left a voice mail.  Then the new message indicator remained on after the message was picked up and deleted..  I think this must be Comcast incompatibility with this particular hardware (and probably others).  Comcast has changed something in their voice message system within this year according to the posts on this forum.  I am going to search for a phone system that does not have this problerm with Comcast.  Any ideas? 

New Poster

Before investing in yet another phone system, I tried the solution offered above by ComcastUmut.  It worked.  I left myself a message, then retrieved and deleted it.  That cleared the New Message alert.  However, if this maneuver continues to be necessary, there is still a problem.  We'll see.

Frequent Visitor

yep me also, comcast don't listen to people.  

tazdevil89041 wrote:

I am having the same problem.  Just suddenly today my phone says I have a new voice mail message but there are none.  The "solution" left about calling myself and leaving a message does not clear this from the phone.  Are there any answers to this problem?

Thanks.

New Poster

Turning off the phone's voicemail detection, and then turning it back on, worked for me.

New Poster

It is not your phone, this problem started for me when my modem was updated by comcast 4 days ago. same V=tech phones for 5 years. Tried all the sugestions listed here with no results.

New Poster

Yes, it showed up again the next day. However, I think in my case it had to do with the cell phone app not synching correctly; when I received another voice mail, and then cleared it, via phone app, it went away. 

New Poster

I've now got the same problem w/ the v-mail. At the end of last week and over the weekend my internet seemd slow, but now it's fine - AND my ATT microcell suddenly appears to have died on Friday. I rebooted my modem today, and that's when the v-mail indicator showed up. How do I know if Comcast "did something - like an upgrade" that's messed my stuff up?

Frequent Visitor

My phone is showing the message light too, even though there are no messages - and it started about 2 hours ago. And yes, I too just got/installed the new modem Comcast insisted I had to have. Why do people insist on fixing something that isn't broken? I have no wireless devices, don't anticipate getting any any time soon, don't "stream" anything on my pc...so why couldn't they just leave well enough alone? Can't wait to see how high they'll raise the fee for the modem come January. I will try the solutions I've read here with fingers crossed. And why isn't voicemail readable anymore?

New Poster

Problem appeared on our phone starting this week.

1) Interrupted dial tone

2) VM indicator on phone

3) Called number from cell to leave message

4) Listened to message and deleted it.

Repeated 5 times. Problem not fixed.

This is a COMCAST software issue, as the dial tone comes from COMCAST, not the phone. 

New Poster

i have had this problem repetedly if comcast cannot orwillnot correct their problem I will go to another service.

New Poster

how do you turn off voice mail?

New Poster

I  am getting a multiple beep when I pick up the phone to make a call. I dont have any indicators that I have a  voicemail. How do i clear these beeps,they are annoying. thanks

New Poster

I get this problem about once every 6-7 months.  This time I just kep calling VM and then hanging up...about 9 times...finally reset itself somehow.  This is a Comcast server problem and they need to reset the message waiting indicator at their end before asking us to jump thru hoops on our end.

New Poster

So, tried the Comcast customer service "fix", doesn't work.   It's really annoying and they need to give a fix that works!  I've gone online to clear out my phone log as there are no voice mails and there is no option for that as well.  Help!!!

ComcastUmut wrote:

Hi,

You could:

leave yourself a msg,

and, listen to it on the phone -- or on Xfinity Connect or Xfinity Connect mobile app, if you like

This should clear message waiting indicator.

Hope this helps

New Poster

PRES STAR *99. FOLLOW DIRECTIONS. YOU CAN LISTEN TO ANY MESSAGES AND DELETE THEM.  THIS WILL CLEAR DISPLAY.

Regular Visitor

The same for me..."new voice message" when there wasn't any new messages. It's been there for a few days and is annoying. The solution provided by the employee worked for me.

I used google phone to call my home number and I left a message, then *99 and listened and pressed 77 and it (of course) deleted my message and also cleared the "new voice message" message!

New Poster

I had the same message on my phone and when I looked at voicemail through my computer it showed no new messages. I then used my cell phone to try leaving myself a message to delete (as suggested by someone on here) and when my cell phone showed I had a comcast message (using their cell phone app) I decided to check my voicemail using the cell phone app and found that I did have two messages - an old one from Comcast (that was not showing in the computer screen) and the new one I just left.
After I deleted both messages the New Voice Mail display on my home phone cleared.

New Poster

It seems that each time you recieve a voice mail , you must delete it in order to  remove the new voice mail indicator

Expert

Year old Thread being closed.

The Support Forums are "public" forums and you should not post identifiable information (full name, account number, address, phone numbers & email addresses).  Users of these forums are Comcast customers,the same as you & me and volunteer their time to assist with the issues and/or problems that you may be experiencing.  Please ensure your post is in the correct Forum to begin with.  Please do not send me Private Messages for personal help but instead use the Forums to allow everyone to read and offer comments to assist you.  Comcast employees are identified with RED lettered User Names.