Community Forum

Netgear Nighthawk AC1900 Router

New Poster

Netgear Nighthawk AC1900 Router

Does anybody know if the Nighthawk AC1900 Router is compatible with Comcast Voice ?

Gold Problem Solver

Re: Netgear Nighthawk AC1900 Router

Timothy409 wrote:

Does anybody know if the Nighthawk AC1900 Router is compatible with Comcast Voice ?

It is not an EMTA modem so it is not compatible.  To see the list of approved retail devices for digital phone service, see this link:  http://mydeviceinfo.comcast.net/

The Nighthawk is a router only and you must still have a Comcast approved data modem in order to use this router.

The Support Forums are "public" forums and you should not post identifiable information - (full name, account number, address, phone numbers & email addresses).  Users of these forums are Comcast customers, the same as you & me and volunteer their time to assist with the issues and/or problems that you may be experiencing. Comcast Official Employees (OE) are identified with RED lettered User Names. Comcast Appointed Experts are identified with GREEN lettered User Names.

Expert

geek, do you know if comcast IP phone can be put 'on' an obi telco device? my google voice number is on obi and it can take many SIPs.

I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.

If you'd like information about the Expert program, you can find it here.
Gold Problem Solver

Rustyben wrote:

geek, do you know if comcast IP phone can be put 'on' an obi telco device? my google voice number is on obi and it can take many SIPs.

Rusty,

WIll send you a PM to take this offline between you & me.

-=Ray=-

The Support Forums are "public" forums and you should not post identifiable information - (full name, account number, address, phone numbers & email addresses).  Users of these forums are Comcast customers, the same as you & me and volunteer their time to assist with the issues and/or problems that you may be experiencing. Comcast Official Employees (OE) are identified with RED lettered User Names. Comcast Appointed Experts are identified with GREEN lettered User Names.

Contributor

Guys...I need some input on this topic...we want to keep our VOICE (landline) and yet turn in the rental...we wanted to go with a separate router and modem for better connection/speeds...bought the Nighthawk but still in the package because we can't find a modem that Comcast will permit...help?  

Gold Problem Solver

Sandymento wrote:

Guys...I need some input on this topic...we want to keep our VOICE (landline) and yet turn in the rental...we wanted to go with a separate router and modem for better connection/speeds...bought the Nighthawk but still in the package because we can't find a modem that Comcast will permit...help?  

Currently only the TM722 and the 862G are approved for retail purchase to use on the Comcast VOIP service.  What you CAN do, is purchase the TG862G if you need phone service, and then BRIDGE the TG862G with the Nighthawk on Lan Port 1.  The remaining Lan ports on the TG862G will be disabled.  YOu can then use the more pwerfule features of the Nighthawk to configure/use your Internet services.  You will still need the TG862G for the VOIP service.

Bridge Information can be found here:  http://customer.xfinity.com/help-and-support/internet/wireless-gateway-enable-disable-bridge-mode/

New Poster

Geek,

Thank you for your response.  Will the above router work with Comcast if I do not use or plan to use the voice function ( only Internet and Cable TV ) ?

Unfortunately I already purchased it  ( probably can return to Best Buy ) but if it will work without voice function would prefer not to.

Thanks again,

Timothy409

Expert

Timothy409 wrote:

Geek,

Thank you for your response.  Will the above router work with Comcast if I do not use or plan to use the voice function ( only Internet and Cable TV ) ?

Unfortunately I already purchased it  ( probably can return to Best Buy ) but if it will work without voice function would prefer not to.

Thanks again,

Timothy409

why not just have a double play (TV + internet)?

my recommendation is to rent (same price) 3rd generation equipment and just don't use/hookup the phone and you will get (eventually) the next MoCA enabled device for use with VidiPath server provided by (one) DVR in the home as well as ability to upgrade to the probable coming DOCS 3.1 gigabit speed equipment. you may not save anything over the rental if the tech changes soon. (i have a 6841 surfboard that is internet only, but it is around 2 years old now), and use google voice (ported home landline to it) that costs nothing and an obi telephone adapter (one time charge around $30 for equipment size of deck of cards). 

I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.

If you'd like information about the Expert program, you can find it here.
Administrator

Timothy409, the AC1900 is a router and has no modem capabilities. This means that you will still need to have a modem compatible with the service, for a full list of compatible devices you can check this here  http://mydeviceinfo.comcast.net/ and click on the retail option. For voice service only the TM722g and TG862G are compatible. Now you can connect the AC1900 to any of these devices and it will work as a router, so you might still need it unless you get a modem that has WiFi capabilities. -FC 

New Poster

Yes, I have this modem and it worked with voice.

New Poster

Yes, the same model without voice is cheaper.

Official Employee

18 month old thread closed.