Community Forum

Incoming calls straight to voice mail - no ringing

Regular Visitor

Incoming calls straight to voice mail - no ringing

I've had 4 Technicians, two over-the-phone technicians, and a supervisor involved in attempting to find out why the incoming calls to my apartment, continue to go to voice mail.  And today, it is worse than ever.  I've only been a customer of comcast for a few months but there has got to be some sort of explanation as to why this situation is occurring and how to resolve it.  Has anyone else ever gone through this? 

No one is on the phone.  My caller ID states "no data sent" 3 out of 6 times when a call does come through.  And the little "voice" light on the router blinks almost constantly as though someone is always on the line. 

It was blinking this morning as I was getting ready for work.  I checked my line and I got a dial tone so no one was on the phone. As soon as I hung up, it stopped blinking.   It's as though someone is on the line, and yet.. the phone is not in use..  So I don't get it.  We have 3 land lines and 3 wireless phones plus the main wireless base unit.  Any suggestions? Any guidance.  The Technical supervisor told us once that there were no issues at all.  I'm getting beyond angry.  My mother is 84 years old.  I like to call a couple times in the day (when she is due to be home) to check on her.  And this is getting ridiculous.   

I have called my apartment 6 times in the past four hours and not gotten through once.  I finally called my mother's cell and she answered immediately telling me that there were a couple of calls earlier but that she wasn't even in the apartment for the past hour.  Even if someone is on the line, it has been my understanding that "call waiting" is standard.  Shouldn't I hear ringing before it goes to the voice mail?  One customer service rep even extended the number of rings as one of their "solutions".  Our phone is supposed to ring 6 times before going to voice mail. I have relatives who are skipping our land line and going straight to calling me on my cell - but when I am at work, that doesn't do anyone any good.

HELP!!!!! Any one else have these issues?  

Regular Visitor

Re: Incoming calls straight to voice mail - no rin

I have been having the same problem. Accompanied by dropped calls, the caller not being able to hear me, and broken and garbled interference in the line. It doesn't happen all day but it is happening frequently. The technician said I had a weak signal and did something to make it stronger; however, that didn't solve the problem. It is frustrating.

Contributor

I too have been having this problem for some time now. At first I thought it was only happening when my doctor's office was trying to contact me since I had received 2 calls from them in a couple months period and both went straight into voicemail, even though I wasn't on the phone.

Then about a month or so later, my husband was trying to call me and it went straight to voicemail. He figured I wasn't home so called me on my cell phone. I was home and had tried to answer my landline but no one was there. My husband said it had gone into voice mail.

I called Comcast and told them and they suggested I reset my modem, which I did and it still was happening.

I called comcast again and they said my records showed my phone wasn't supposed to ring I think more then once so she'd increase the ring settings onlly I don't see how what she said could have been true because there's been many days when the phone has rung and I have chosen not to answer it and it would ring several times before the caller gave up.

I'm thinking of using the answering machine on my phone if this keeps up but the problem with that is my phone won't go to voicemail if I'm using the phone and don't switch over to answer it.

I guess my only other option is to have Comcast come out here but if they couldn't help you, I don't have a lot of faith they'll help me.

New Poster

Hi, I had the same problem and just finally got a technician on the phone.  I unplugged all the connections and he sent a new signal to my house.  when I plugged everything back in it worked again. 

Regular Visitor

Well that's something they haven't suggested.  

- Customer service noted the dropped calls and reset everything - had me un plug and hook my router, then she rebooted the system.

-One technician thought the main junction box...that the wires needed to be cut and re attached.  That didn't work.

- The next one found that the former tenant's phone service Verizon was still active.  He disconnected that setup.  No change. 

- The third one came out and I found out we were being charged a whole bunch of calls to information here and overseas.  This guy actually found that they had the incorrect "static route?" or route number so basically was crossing lines with someone.  He sent the "correct" information in and almost immediately we didn't have the problem.  But that only lasted a week.  I did get reimbursed for all the information calls. 

- Another customer service person recommended that we go from 3 rings to 6 rings.  But, really?  I mean the standard for comcast line allows for call waiting so even if my mother was on the phone, an incoming call should hear ringing and go to voicemail...unless she's on the line and 2 calls come in at once.  But either way, changing it to 6 rings made no difference.  

- Then the Managing Technician had the nerve to tell me our line was working fine.  After my mother got lost and while I was sitting at home NOT on the phone she tried to call 8 times to get my help and I received no calls.  When she finally got home and told me, I made sure she had called the right number (she had) and then found 4 of the 8 messages on the voice system.  

- He called us on Tuesday and stated that they had found the problem and thought it was fixed.  It's not. 

- Now we are hearing sounds (distantly while on the phone with someone) like someone is dialing an old dial phone.  

I don't know what to do.  We really didn't realize there was an issue until our relatives were calling about a death in the family.  That's when we found out.  So I am not happy.  

I will try the unplugging everything and resetting the router.  Cross your fingers.  Let's hope it's that simple. 

Official Employee

Can you bypass your apartment's wiring and plug a phone directly into the back of the modem and see if it still does it? If your voice line is blinking that means the modem thinks the phone is being used (probably a short somewhere).
New Poster

Same problem. I discovered if I use my house phone to call my cell, the call goes through, however the calling number showing on my cell is a strange (812) phone number. I called that number back on my cell and the call went through to the house phone !!! LINES are crossed somewhere.

Regular Visitor

That's what I believe too.  But...why wouldn't a technician think to check for that.  I will try to plug directly into the modem...not sure if I can but...it's worth a try.   I will try unplugging/disconnecting again too.  And see if that works.  

Thanks. 

Regular Visitor

I'll have to check that out.  

Regular Visitor

Well connecting straight to the router didn't work, disconnecting all the phones, unplugging the router and finally having the customer service reboot my setup....didn't work either.  

I've had it.  As soon as my contract is up, I'll have to sign up with someone else for my phone service.  We're going to push using our cell phones from now on. 

Official Employee

Just to be clear you are putting the phone cord in the phone port on the back and not the ethernet ports
Regular Visitor

I pushed reset button. Unplugged and re-plugged. I still have no dial tone.Goes striaght to voice mail..Don't know what to do...FRUSTRATING !!!!!!!   Oh, and the phone doesn't even ring....

Regular Visitor

Correct.  And today just has been the worst.  We had a couple of cousins trying to reach us for 3 hours and they kept getting sent directly to voice mail.  I removed all our wireless phones today on a hunch and suddenly back to back calls came through.  I'm hoping it's been resolved.  I have cousins in Illinois that were possibly in the path of a large tornado but no one could reach us to tell us what was happening. 

New Poster

If you have unlimited cell phone minutes then go to Best Buy and get an in home phone set, will work with 2 cell phones and drop Comcast cause they can not fix the problem, has to have been an upgrade and now they will get customer dropping them like their stock once they start reporting loss of landline services

New Poster

We have had ongoing issues with the landline phone in our house since December 2013.  Comcast has been here many times to fix it but to no avail.  Their final solution was to lend us a cordless phone set and then when we stopped having the problem to tell us that it was our phones and to purchase new ones.  Our phone would cut out in the middle of a conversation or we would pick up the phone to  make a call and there was no dial tone. By the way, when we had Verizon, the other evil giant, we had no problems with our landline phones.  We did not replace our  phones but hubby determined that it was a bad answering machine that might have been the problem.  After I have spent enough time talking to Comcast about the problem and  now I think that they should pay me not having my service and wasting my time.  I want to cancel Comcast and get a dsposable phone but hubby is in the middle of the US Open Tennis Tournament.  I truly am frustrated and cannot understand why having operable landline phone service should be this hard.  Additionally, I should have the right to decide whether I want a cell phone or not.  As far as people calling us now, there is one audible ring and then that's the end of it.  Nobody is on the line; nor can they leave voice mail.  And don't ask me how to fix this.  Maybe I should go out and get a tin can with string tied to it.

Regular Visitor

I am having a nightmare with my Comcast phone service, my number was ported BUT calls from sprint phones are sent directly to voice mail box. The phone does not ring if you call from a sprint phone. It will wring from ATT, T-Mobil and land line. I am in a gated community and when someone visit me and select my name the phone should ring for me to allow them access, now the calls from the call box go straight to voice mail. I spent hours on the phone with Comcast and Sprint and the problem still not resolve. Comcast sent a tech out to my house and he could not fix the problem either. The Tech calls from his company issued sprint phone and it went straight to voice mail then he called from his personal ATT phone and that call went through and the phone rang. 

I gave Comcast ultimatum that if it is not resolved by Friday, I am going to buy a Majic Jack and cancell Comcast. I cant get through to my house becasue I have sprint phone, I have to walk to the gate if some need to be let in. 

I AM TIRED OF COMCAST, I AM WONDERING IF THE FORUM ADMINITARTOR PAY ATTENTION TO USERS PROBLEM.

New Poster

How come Comcast hasn't found a solution after all this time?   They had me speak to a person in South America.  Slight language barrier. I'm switching to WOW.

Regular Visitor

We have the same problem. How have you solve your problem?

New Poster

This just started happening to us last week.  Has anyone gotten this issue fixed?  I thought it was my cordless phone and bought a new one. 

Gold Problem Solver

rdrherrera wrote:

This just started happening to us last week.  Has anyone gotten this issue fixed?  I thought it was my cordless phone and bought a new one. 

Call into Comcast to begin the troubleshooting process...  if callin does not appeal to you due to the long phone wait and constant disconnecting, try the online chat between 8am and 5pm  ( most staffed times ) by going here:  https://www.comcastsupport.com/ChatEntry/Protected.aspx

Regular Visitor

Husband fixed it by rebooting the modem.

Phone is working fine now, but like you, we also bought  new cordless phone at Costco thinking that it was the phone that was defective.

Regular Visitor

yes, I have the same problem after installing a new modem which was supposed to make my computer service faster.  This has caused my land line messages to go straight to Voice without ringing, and I cannot make a phone call from my land.  Very frustrating as I use my cell for family, etc., not others.  

Regular Visitor

It is now Dec 2015, and I am having the same issue reported above. Got the chat support tech to fix the issue on Friday, but after having comcast tech come out on Monday and successfully get my phones plugged into their own jacks instead of plugging in to my modem, the old problem of one ring, then hangup, and no voicemail registering the messages that callers were leaving, started up again.  I tried calling my home from my cell while the tech was here, and service all rang through correctly. Within two hours of his departure, the one ring then hangup resurfaced. Moving to Triple Play service has taken me over 9 hours on the phone with Comcast and interactions with 16 different Comcast people over a one-month period. And it is still not stabilized. Only my own research got me the answers I needed to get the correct configuration of modem, router, and wifi extender to get Extreme 105 Internet service in all areas of the house. Looks like I will now have to become proficient in phone troubleshooting next.  Very unhappy with the whole process. Anyone know a permanent solution to the one-ring then hangup issue?

Gold Problem Solver

rbaranow wrote:

It is now Dec 2015, and I am having the same issue reported above. Got the chat support tech to fix the issue on Friday, but after having comcast tech come out on Monday and successfully get my phones plugged into their own jacks instead of plugging in to my modem, the old problem of one ring, then hangup, and no voicemail registering the messages that callers were leaving, started up again.  I tried calling my home from my cell while the tech was here, and service all rang through correctly. Within two hours of his departure, the one ring then hangup resurfaced. Moving to Triple Play service has taken me over 9 hours on the phone with Comcast and interactions with 16 different Comcast people over a one-month period. And it is still not stabilized. Only my own research got me the answers I needed to get the correct configuration of modem, router, and wifi extender to get Extreme 105 Internet service in all areas of the house. Looks like I will now have to become proficient in phone troubleshooting next.  Very unhappy with the whole process. Anyone know a permanent solution to the one-ring then hangup issue?

Login to your account online @ https://vm.connect.comcast.net/ and see if you have any numbers that the device is forwarding to... See this link for additional information:  http://customer.xfinity.com/help-and-support/phone/forward-calls-with-call-forwarding/

The Support Forums are "public" forums and you should not post identifiable information (full name, account number, address, phone numbers & email addresses).  Users of these forums are Comcast customers,the same as you & me and volunteer their time to assist with the issues and/or problems that you may be experiencing.  Please ensure your post is in the correct Forum to begin with.  Please do not send me Private Messages for personal help but instead use the Forums to allow everyone to read and offer comments to assist you.  Comcast employees are identified with RED lettered User Names.

Administrator

What @geek46 recommended often times is the cause of this issue. But if no call forwarding is on, there is a chance that this might be as a result of a internal wiring issue or phone base problems. I know you had to do this on the past, but try connecting the phone once more straight to the modem to see if the issue stops. If it does stop, we might need to have a tech go back and check the inside wiring once more. -FC 

New Poster

You have probably inadvertently forwarded your calls. This has happened to me several times. You have to go into the voice options and uncheck forward. I do not know why it gets reset but this will fix it good lock
Gold Problem Solver

kpro1955 wrote:
You have probably inadvertently forwarded your calls. This has happened to me several times. You have to go into the voice options and uncheck forward. I do not know why it gets reset but this will fix it good lock

I don't know who you are replying to since you did not use the quote function, but be aware that you are replying to a 5 month old topic that had already been resolved by both myself and a Comcast Official Employee....

The Support Forums are "public" forums and you should not post identifiable information - (full name, account number, address, phone numbers & email addresses).  Users of these forums are Comcast customers, the same as you & me and volunteer their time to assist with the issues and/or problems that you may be experiencing. Comcast Official Employees (OE) are identified with RED lettered User Names. Comcast Appointed Experts are identified with GREEN lettered User Names.

New Poster

I was having the same issue. I found out that in the Comcast Connect app under the call forwarding menu that the nunber of rings was set to 1. I changed it to 7. Problem solved.