Community Forum

How To Port To Comcast

Regular Visitor

How To Port To Comcast

Is it possible for someone to post, step by step, what is required to port a phone number from ATT to Comcast?  That would be most helpful and apprecicated.  Perhaps someone has already done this...if so, would someone please copy and paste it?  Thank you!

Gold Problem Solver

Re: How To Port To Comcast

bingol1 wrote:

Is it possible for someone to post, step by step, what is required to port a phone number from ATT to Comcast?  That would be most helpful and apprecicated.  Perhaps someone has already done this...if so, would someone please copy and paste it?  Thank you!

Do NOT cancel your AT&T service!!!

Goto Comcast, request your number to be ported over when you add Voice Service.

Comcast will do everything needed.

Your AT&T service will terminate once Comcast has successfully ported your number over.  There's nothing you need to do.

The Support Forums are "public" forums and you should not post identifiable information (full name, account number, address, phone numbers & email addresses).  Users of these forums are Comcast customers,the same as you & me and volunteer their time to assist with the issues and/or problems that you may be experiencing.  Please ensure your post is in the correct Forum to begin with.  Please do not send me Private Messages for personal help but instead use the Forums to allow everyone to read and offer comments to assist you.  Comcast employees are identified with RED lettered User Names.

Valued Contributor

Leave the phone connected to the AT&T phone line.

Connect a different phone to the modem.

That way you can still receive and make calls until the porting has completed, since you don't know exactly when the change over will occur.

My experience is that once the Comcast service can call out, there will still be a period of time where both lines call out using the same number, but only one can receive calls at the number.

Once both incoming and outgoing calls are working on the Comcast service, then call AT&T to terminate service.

Regular Visitor

Thank you so much for the helpful information.  Prior to receiving your post I called Comcast and indicated to a customer service rep. that I wanted to transfer my landline phone service from ATT to Comcast Voice.  I had had Comcast previously (with the same phone number) prior to going to ATT. I am in current excellent standing with ATT, but wanted to change to Comcast due to ATT's inability to solve some technical issues that adversely affected my phone service.  Anyway, I was told by the Customer Service person that I would need to (personally) call ATT and request that my number be ported to Comcast.  This did not sound quite right to me because I had previously had Comcast Voice prior to going to ATT and Comcast had ported my number without my involvement.  He told me that the policy had changed and that I would need to call ATT to have my number ported.  Otherwise I would have to have a new phone number issued, (after having my current one for over 20 years)!  He added that the reason that I had to personally call ATT was because I had service with ATT when my phone number was initially issued to me.  I had never heard of this, so I told him I would not change my service at this time and said goodbye to him!

Thank you for your response and I will try to Comcast again to have my service ported.  Maybe I will have better luck this time.

Regular Visitor

Thank you so much!  Will do!

Regular Visitor

geek46 wrote:

bingol1 wrote:

Do NOT cancel your AT&T service!!!

Goto Comcast, request your number to be ported over when you add Voice Service.

Comcast will do everything needed.

Your AT&T service will terminate once Comcast has successfully ported your number over.  There's nothing you need to do.

The Support Forums are "public" forums and you should not post identifiable information (full name, account number, address, phone numbers & email addresses).  Users of these forums are Comcast customers,the same as you & me and volunteer their time to assist with the issues and/or problems that you may be experiencing.  Please ensure your post is in the correct Forum to begin with.  Please do not send me Private Messages for personal help but instead use the Forums to allow everyone to read and offer comments to assist you.  Comcast employees are identified with RED lettered User Names.

This does sound like the logical sequence of events to get a phone number ported from ATT to Comcast. I believe this is wishful thinking. I started the process of getting my ATT number ported to Comcast March 10th when I called to order one of the Comcast packages that includes voice.  Today it occurred to me to call Comcast support to find out who actually has to contact ATT. I was told it is my responsibility to call ATT. I was also told the reason I had to call ATT was that 3rd party verification provided by my wife had failed and would have to be done again. One of the problems here may be that the Comcast account is in my name and the ATT account is in my wife's name. I was told at that time that the process would take 3 days. The Comcast rep is supposed to call me back tomorrow evening to take another 3rd party verification. Update to follow.

Gold Problem Solver
Moved:

Post Moved to create New Topic in Home Phone Service & Equipment forum..... will be closing the old topic which was marked Resolved.

Gold Problem Solver

Year Old Topic being Closed.