Xfinity plant
Community Forum
Xfinity globe

Fax machine answering my incoming calls?

New Poster

Fax machine answering my incoming calls?

About 2 weeks ago my phone started answering incoming calls with a shrill noise after the 2nd ring.  It sounds very like when a fax machine is answering an incoming call.  I don't have a fax machine and never have.  Some of my printers have fax capability but I turned those off and then actually unplugged them (they were never set up for faxing anyway).  It still happens.  Sometimes if I can pick up on the first ring I can prevent the "fax" from answering.  The sound is so loud that I can actually hear it once it starts without picking up the receiver.  New people moved in across the street about a month ago - could there be a crossed wire?  Or could they have a wireless connection that is somehow answering my phone?  Yeah, it doesn't make sense but everyone who calls me says it sounds like a fax machine (or like an old fashioned modem making the dial-up connection to the internet).  I did a chat with Xfinity online help but after 1/2 an hour we accomplished nothing and I had to leave. Outgoing calls are perfectly fine.  Thanks in advance for any help.

Expert

Re: Fax machine answering my incoming calls?

It is doubtful that it is external to the house unless your inside wiring was never disconnected at the Telco's NID box.  I have to assume your in a single family home.

To troubleshoot, unplug the telephone cord from the eMTA telephony modem that connects to your inside phone wiring.  Plug in a known good wired phone directly to the L1/L2 jack on the eMTA and give it a good test.  If it stops, then it still would be a equipment issue with something connected to your inside wiring.

If it continues with just one phone connected directly to the eMTA, then contact Comcast to replace the eMTA, but first, reset the eMTA by pressing the indented reset button on the back panel.

If you believe it's not one of the fax capable printers, then it can be something like a water meter, alarm panel, or some other device that can seize the line to answer.  It will take some troubleshooting, by disconnecting everything on every phone jack in the home, and open up the Telco's network interface box on the side of the house and confirm your inside wiring is totally disconnected from the Telco's drop.

Worse case, you might need to hire a low voltage tech to find the issue, as the inside telephone wiring is owned by the homeowner just like your electrical & plumbing.

New Poster

I have just started experiencing the same thing. I am talking to tech support and the service person does not appear to have heard of this before.

Regular Visitor

I have a very similar problem, while I am on my phone I get a very loud ear piercing beep that sounds exactly like what you are describing. I had a long conversation the other day with a Comcast tech. of course they went through the so called "reset" motion of my lines but to be honest, I think that is all a bunch of bull because it never fixes the problem, so I am stuck with it, at least until Verizon gets their Fios in my area. It really stinks because this is so loud it hurts my ear!
New Poster

For info, I was able to resolve this issue. I walked around the house and unplugged anything connected to a phone jack on the wall. I then called my house from a mobile phone and found that I did not have this experience. By plugging things back into the wall jacks and recalling the house, I determined that a DirecTV DVR was answering incoming calls. I reset that DVR and the problem has been gone ever since. So, I must admit, this was not actually a Comcast issue.

New Poster

Yes, in my case it was also the DirecTV's DVR recorder.  After unplugging everything else and not solving the problem I realized there was yet one phone connection:  the one going into said DVR.  I unclipped it from the back of the satellite box and...ta-da...no more answered calls.  I left it unplugged for a few weeks, maybe a month and one day plugged it back in - problem had gone away.  No more racing to the phone to answer before the MACHINE did.  DirecTV has a feature where it will display the caller ID on your TV screen so you can decide to answer it or just ignore it.  I'm sure something went awry with it.  Who knew?  So if this comes up again the first thing a Comcast technician should ask is if the customer has a DirecTV DVR (I have phone and internet through Comcast). 

New Poster

Hello I am a Comcast technician. I just ran into this problem. It looks like the problem is with the connect America life line emergency service for older customer.  As I have seen on this job weather in regards to cable or telephone, if you have iTems in-line that can always be a potential problem. As Comcast does not  repair or fix third-party iTems or services. 

Expert

Timmy888 wrote:

Hello I am a Comcast technician. I just ran into this problem. It looks like the problem is with the connect America life line emergency service for older customer.  As I have seen on this job weather in regards to cable or telephone, if you have iTems in-line that can always be a potential problem. As Comcast does not  repair or fix third-party iTems or services. 

Timmy888,

You may not be aware of the fact that Comcast employees must be authorized by the forum administrators in order to post in an official capacity in the forum. Authorized employees have their names in red and are designated as such.

This is done to protect customers and for assurance that they are dealing with a Comcast employee.

Employees are allowed to post but cannot state they are employees nor can they allude to being employees.

"Locking 3 year old topic".

-=Ray=-

The Support Forums are "public" forums and you should not post identifiable information (full name, account number, address, phone numbers & email addresses).  Users of these forums are Comcast customers,the same as you & me and volunteer their time to assist with the issues and/or problems that you may be experiencing.  Please ensure your post is in the correct Forum to begin with.  Please do not send me Private Messages for personal help but instead use the Forums to allow everyone to read and offer comments to assist you.  Comcast employees are identified with RED lettered User Names.