Community Forum

Disable Voicemail & Call Waiting

Regular Visitor

Disable Voicemail & Call Waiting

@ComcastMichael 

Michael, I see you recently resolved another user's issue which is the same / similar to mine.  

I need to disable voicemail on one of my comcast voice lines.  I also would like to disabkle call waiting.  

Articles say I can go to Voice > Settings > Call Forwarding and set the number of rings, but when I go to that page, there are ZERO numbers listed in the area where I should be able to change rings (and when I try to add my own number, an error tells me I can't add my own number).

In any case, I don't really want VM to answer after a high number of rings; I don't want it to answer at all.  

Can you please help?  Thanks!

Rob

2019-07-02 21_59_33-Xfinity Connect Voice Settings.png

Contributor

Re: Disable Voicemail & Call Waiting

@robhansen1 ,

I am sorry I am not sure I know what you are asking for. Call Forwarding is a feature that gives you the ability to forward a call to a different number. This way it will not ring to the original phone number at all and will go directly to the new number without the caller knowing. Xfinity's Advanced Call Forwarding feature does allow you to control who's phone will ring simultaneously when you get a call on your home phone and how many rings before it goes to the home phone's voicemail feature. If you disable the voicemail the ring count feature is pointless.

Call Waiting is a feature that allows an audible noise (that only you can hear) while you are on a current call that lets you know another person is attempting to call you. If you disable call waiting anyone attempting to call you when you are already on a call will go straight to your home phone voicemail. If the voicemail is also disabled the caller will be disconnected or will receive a message; something to the effect of "the person you are attempting to call cannot be reached at this time, please try your call again later." In my opinion, this is less than an ideal experience for callers 

Unfortunately, the Call Waiting feature is part of most Xfinity Home Phone plans and must be permanently disabled by a Comcast employee. However, you can disable it yourself temporarily by following the directions below:

Here's How to Temporarily Cancel Call Waiting:

1. Lift the receiver and listen for the dial tone.
  2. Press *70.
  3. Call Waiting is canceled for the current call only.
  4. After you hang up, Call Waiting will be active once more.

To see more information about the Call Waiting feature with Xfinity see here: https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/call-waiting

For voicemail, you can modify the number of rings a caller hears before the voicemail connects by following the directions below:

Change the Number of Rings Before Voicemail Answers

To change the number of rings before voicemail answers:

1. Go to http://www.xfinity.com/ and click the Menu button. Menu button.
  2. Select the Voice icon in the drop-down list.
  3. Log in using your Xfinity username or email and password.
  4. Ensure you are on the Voice tab.
  5. Click the Settings icon The settings cog icon in the upper-right corner of the page and click on Settings.
  6. Click on Call Forwarding or Advanced Call Forwarding.
  7. Click the drop down under Rings to select the number of rings before voicemail.
    Call Forwarding Screen with option to change number of rings.
    **Note**: The ring count changes on the page immediately, but in some cases the change can take up to 24 hours to take effect. If you'd like more assistance, you can also chat with us.

As mentioned this can take up to 24 hours to take effect. When I initially went to this screen I was seeing what you are seeing (my home number was not listed to be able to modify the rings). However, after refreshing the screen by navigating to a different page and then back again this is what I see now:

phone.png

Although you can change the number of rings, in order to disable a voicemail box completely a Comcast employee will be needed to remove it from your line. You should also know that if they remove it you cannot re-enable it if you choose you want it back, that will require another employee. 

I hope this helps. 

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Thanks for the comprehensive response.  Unfortunately, I had read a similar response already, and it did not solve my issue - which is what I was trying (unsuccessfully) to communicate. 

When I follow the directions for changing the number of rings before voicemail, it appears something is wrong in my account.  There is NO number shown, so there is no corresponding drop-down list for the number of rings.  See attached screenshot.  If I try to add my number, that also fails.

Any suggestions?  Thanks!

Rob2019-07-02 21_59_33-Xfinity Connect Voice Settings.png

Official Employee

robhansen1, thank you for reaching out! I just responded back to the PM you sent. Looking forward to speaking with you there. 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Contributor

@ComcastAlly,

How did you fix this for @robhansen1?