Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Comcast Digital Voice - Echo and Cutting Out

Posted by
Regular Visitor
  • Thank you contributor for your first reply to the community!
 Posting replies is the best way to get involved.
  • Congrats on Posting your first topic!

Message 1 of 30

We have had a service Tech out twice because people on the other end randomly hear horrible echo and voice cutting out. The first time they were out the Tech could not find a problem. The second time (different Tech) changed out the modem and a splitter on the connection outside the house. This has been happening on and off for a week now and started again this evening. I am very close to calling AT&T again for reliable phone service. 

29 REPLIES
Posted by
Cable Expert

Message 2 of 30

Always first test with a known good wired phone, some phones do not like the increased current of local phone adapters, and their short loop length.

Cheap wired phones can be found at big box stores for around $6.

If a new phone doesn't fix it as a test, then we can escalate it to the Comcast Cares Team, who would then find the issue.

Right now, I'd blame the phone first, but it certainly can be something else.  If you have multiple phones with the same issue, then please share what phone equipment you have in the house.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Posted by
Regular Visitor

Message 3 of 30
I have disconnected every phone in the house then tested each one individually (no other phone connected at the time) and had the same result. I have 2 wired phones which are Nortel 9417 units and the wireless is Panasonic KX-TG6444 which consists of 4 phones. The wireless units all connect to one base which only uses one wall jack. As I mentioned the problem is random which makes it difficult to troubleshoot and by the time a tech comes to the house the phones are back to normal.
Posted by
Cable Expert

Message 4 of 30

The Comcast Cares Team has been notified and will look into it.

Watch this post and your email for updates from the team during the business week.

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Community Icon

Community Icon

Posted by
Connection Expert

Message 5 of 30

Could also relate to phone wiring or proximity of cordless phone base to Modem

Can you while yoou are waiting for the Comcast Admin  just disconnect the house wiring from the modem and plug a regular wired phone directly into the back of the modem where the jumper wire to house wiring was located?

Could you also test with the Codless phone base powered down?

Community Icon

Community Icon

Community Icon

Posted by
Regular Visitor

Message 6 of 30

I acquired a different wired telephone for testing. Aastra Telecom model 8004, connected directly to port on back of modem so it was the only phone on the circuit. Disconnected the power adapter for the cordless phones. The distance from the modem to the wireless phone base is approximately 35 feet. Made six test calls to the home phone from a cell and the first had the same echo problem as well as some other strange sounds and the other five calls were fine.

Posted by
Connection Expert

Message 7 of 30

If it were me, I would leave the wired phone in place and keep trying it to get it where it is failing reliably and then use it to call in to Comcast CDV tech support and get a guy out there to swap out the modem.

Community Icon

Community Icon

Community Icon

Posted by
Regular Visitor

Message 8 of 30

We have went for a full day with the Aastra Telecom wired phone connected directly to the modem with no issues. I have now connected the modem back to the house wiring but with the Aastra wired phone being the only phone connected. Will try that for a day.

Posted by
Retired Administrator

Message 9 of 30

Hi there - I'd like to look into this. Can you please shoot me an email with the telephone number on your account and a link to this thread?

Just 'Dete'
Retired Help Forums Admin

Community Icon
I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee, and I no longer actively support the forum.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.

Community Icon
I am an Retired Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
Community Icon
Retired Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor
  • You have posted 5 replies to the community. Thank you for keeping the conversations going!

Message 10 of 30

Just wondering if you got it fixed? I have been dealing with this for over a year now... it's rather depressing. my neighbor also had the same thing but he said he's better... 

thanks

Paul

Posted by
Regular Visitor

Message 11 of 30

The issue appears to be resolved. Comcast changed out the modem and some cable connectors on the outside. We have not experienced the issue for several weeks now.

Posted by
Visitor

Message 12 of 30

I have this same problem. If the tv is on I can tell when the phone will cut out because the tv glitches as well, so seems to maybe be a transmission problem.  I have both wired and wireless phones and it does it on all of them.  If I have an important call i will use my cell phone, since I never know when the home phone will cut out. Never had this problem with Qwest. This is our 2nd modem and still no better.  Agree it is hard for tech to come out to find, since it is sporadic.  Sometimes happens several times a day, sometimes will go a few days without problem.

Richard-M wrote:

We have had a service Tech out twice because people on the other end randomly hear horrible echo and voice cutting out. The first time they were out the Tech could not find a problem. The second time (different Tech) changed out the modem and a splitter on the connection outside the house. This has been happening on and off for a week now and started again this evening. I am very close to calling AT&T again for reliable phone service. 

Posted by
Cable Expert

Message 13 of 30

A tech has the proper test equipment to troubleshoot and fix you signal issues.

If you have not had a tech out, then you need to schedule one.  If you have a history of tech visits, then it can be escalated to the Comcast Cares Team to get someone back out and get it fixed.

Please report back if you have or have not had a tech out, and if not, please schedule one.

Community Icon

Community Icon

Community Icon

Posted by
Frequent Visitor
  • You have posted 5 replies to the community. Thank you for keeping the conversations going!

Message 14 of 30

I've had many tech's out at the house and street level! it's been over a year and still get clicking and echoing and not being heard... I personally see a change in my future

Posted by
Cable Expert

Message 15 of 30

pcoviello wrote:

I've had many tech's out at the house and street level! it's been over a year and still get clicking and echoing and not being heard... I personally see a change in my future

The Comcast Cares Team has been notified and will look into your issue.

Watch this post and your email for updates from the team.

Community Icon

Community Icon

Community Icon

Posted by
Problem Solver

Message 16 of 30

A ticket has been setup and escalated. Someone will be contacting you about this matter.

Thanks,

-ComcastLarry-

Community Icon
I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee, and I no longer actively support the forum.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Regular Visitor

Message 17 of 30

We've had 3 techs out over the past 3 months with the last one here yesterday. And the phone continues to cut out this morning. I thought perhaps I needed a new battery on the cordless. However, I tried a different handset today and it cut out like the original one. It would be great if Comcast could fix the problem. It appears they, too, have no understanding of the cause of the issue.

Posted by
Visitor

Message 18 of 30

I am new to comcast voice and am having problems with voice service that seems to radom. If we are home and using the phone during the day it will happen at least once in mid call. "it" is cuts out call and may return just in time to hear the person you were speaking to hanging up because the don't understand what just happened. Our TV and Internet have been fine. We have both wirless phones and wired phones and I tried moving the base station for the wireless out of the office where we have another wireless modem. No help with problem. As you say we may need to seek another remedy.

Posted by
Cable Expert

Message 19 of 30

Anyone with a CDV issue should be starting a new post specific to their issue so it can get the help that it needs.  Posting onto someone elses post just confuses the original poster and will not get the visibility necessary.

Community Icon

Community Icon

Community Icon

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 20 of 30

UPDATE:

doesn't matter. they have no clue what needs to happen! 

it can't be fixed anyways! so a tech came out and installed a filter, not fixed another tech came took out filter and redid telphone wire junction box! another came out and said nothings wrong and it's your house wiring and to remove all phones and buy new wireless ones and plug directly into modem... 

NOT!

I lose power frequently and like the option of using a wired phone if neccessary...

Paul

Posted by
Visitor
Visitor
Message 21 of 30

Ours is doing the exact same thing. We have a lot of problems w comcast telephone and cannot get a clear signal after some months....it tends to work fine for a while and then calls get dropped, there is static and we hear such an annoying echo that we cannot concentrate on the phone call. 

Posted by
Cable Expert

Message 22 of 30

Always start troubleshooting your CDV service by plugging in a known good wired phone directly to the eMTA telephony modems L1/L2 jack.  Give it a good test.  It can be issues with your inside wiring for static issues.  Cordless phones can have interference, static and dropped calls from interference from a Wi-Fi wireless router in the home that shares the same channel.  Cordless phones in general have more issues with poor performance, echo, drops & static.

Press the indented reset button on the eMTA to reset the device.  You will need a toothpick or some poker to press the indented button.

Otherwise, call Comcast support and they can do a health check on the eMTA to see that the signals are proper to the device.

Community Icon

Community Icon

Community Icon

Posted by
Regular Visitor

Message 23 of 30

Can you please close out this thread so I will stop receiving emails?

Thanks,

Richard M

Posted by
Cable Expert

Message 24 of 30

You control when the emails come and go, near the top of the thread go to board options and unsubscribe.

Community Icon

Community Icon

Community Icon

Posted by
Visitor
Visitor
Message 25 of 30

Yes, we did all of that some weeks ago prior to the last service tech coming out.
I do agree w you re: cordless phones. We have two corded phones for that reason.

I might add however that the Comcast guys that came out last year for noise in our phone stated the opposite.

They strongly suggested that I get rid of corded phones in favor of cordless ones.

I refused.

Still no resolve on this problem.

Posted by
Problem Solver

Message 26 of 30

---

Sorry about the issues you are having. We are currently looking into this and will reach out to you soon.

Can you confirm with me if you notice the static and echoing only in certain parts of your home like the kitchen, basement, or near running appliances?

Or does this happen during certain times of the day? Like in the morning or evenings?

Does this happen on all your phones or just one?

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon

Thanks
-Keisha-
Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 27 of 30

so let me get this straight since you can't figure out the problem and more than one person is having it we all have internal wiring issues.  I would agree with that if the house was old but it is only 13 years old and the problem is intermittent.  I would expect it all the time if I had a wiring issue. and I have mentioned it is both a corded and cordless phone. cest la vie... 

Posted by
Visitor
Visitor
Message 28 of 30

Re: Comcast Keisha

In answer to your question it's hard to say. While we have a number of phones and a large house, the other phones are merely for convenience. Primarily since I work from home I am noticing alot more problems in the office. However I have tried it with a corded phone, midway through conversations switched to 2 different cordless phones so that I can continue working, but still heard so much echo  and static that I was forced to use my cell phone.

I didn't have a lot of calls today, but didn't notice it much. It's definitely intermittent and when it is happening, it's fairly intense.  Very strange.

However, this really has been an ongoing problem. Comcast seems to work for a while and then after a few months just deteriorates. I typically have found the first 2 or 3 techs are very decisive and confident which frustrates me because the problem doesn't get fixed.

Once some lines were replaced in the wall behind the office and that fixed a problem but we had like 4 different techs out here. The others didn't really do anything to help at all.  Then twice there was actually water in the line outside causing static. Another time they found a problem at the main switch w our line and said they were surprised I was having any phone service at all. In all 3 cases again, it meant multiple techs all certain they would fix the problem, and at times offended when I didn't express a great deal of confidence in the results although I did appreciate them coming.

The big kicker was when a problem was escalated and I had 3 different appts come in a 2 wk period w no fix. It was escalated to a guy who was very nice but it was Friday afternoon and he looked at me and said, "I need you to make a decision. Either you can have telephone or television this weekend."  Frankly, I was so frustrated at such a question, I can't even tell you how stressed I was that day.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 29 of 30

so as added info spoke to my neighbor today and he too is having issues... which he did at the outset of this whole thing well over a year now... and we again lost on-demand... this is so old at this point, why cant there be more competition.... :-(

Posted by
Visitor

Message 30 of 30

I have been reading posts that ran from April 2011 up to October 2011 and it seems that there has not been a fix for the echoing that my callers get when talking to me on my comcast line. I tried the cell trick and I was told there was no echo. Called back on my comcast line and the echo was back.I did not try the wired phone hookup, but from what I read there was no difference. So my question is.....What is the fix for the echo??