Community Forum

Blocking calls

New Poster

Re: Blocking calls

1.  lift the receiver and listen for the dial tone

2. press *60

3.  you will get prompts...one of which is to block the last call received or you can add the number manually.

IT WORKS!

Regular Contributor

*60 blocker from Comcast it good for only to block the scammers sucker for only about 25 callers when a full ID phone # shows on your phone ID. I have a life time Job dealing with this problems, I have pages of written #'s so if a caller has not called for months then I have to delete one of the #'s to make room for the new scammer that has called several times. My Panasonic phone only blocks 30, new Models will block 250. I was going to get one, but then I said to the wife, we do not have to deal with these telemarketers, we have cell phones, with no telemarketers calling us, Comcast has a 2 bundle they told me at $80.00 Internet & TV which we have the 3 bundle since over 20 years. So in Nov. when our Comcast contract ends, we our ripping out the Landline phone for piece and QUIET I feel for any one old or young. To bad the Telemarketers didn't us real Phone #'s which they know the law, then we would be very rich of $16,000 per Telemarketer. I can't wait for Nov. to say bye bye landline. and will not miss it and the crook callers.
Cyber turbo power desktop.Intel 4790k 4.0GHz.GPU-Gigabyte Geforce 1060 Windforce OC 6GB-Notebook dv6225us AMD Turion 64X2 2GB Go6150 GPU Vista Home Premuim
New Poster

How do I block a call from myi home phone?

Expert

@rsclark wrote:

How do I block a call from myi home phone?

http://customer.comcast.com/help-and-support/phone/phone-quick-reference-guide

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

Don't know how many of you know about Nomorobo.com, but Aaron Foss, the Founder, was soliciting input re: unwanted telemarketing phone calls. He told me that he was going before the FCC with many reams of feedback (over 24,000) to be exact to let them know that we citizens own our phones and have the right to determine who we want and don't want to call us. He also said that Nomorobo is currently working on a system for blocking those computer scrambled phone numbers like the one that woke my wife and I up at 4:30 a.m. one morning. The caller ID said the number calling was "1507".  We all need to support his efforts.

New Poster

After all is said and done, the most effective way I've found to reduce (not totally eliminate) unwanted calls envolves having a fax machine on that phone line. If you can hit the "receive" button on your fax machine when you receive one of those unwanted calls, it will reduce the number of calls you receive. The reason, I've been told, is that the caller doesn't want to talk to a fax machine and they assume they've reached a business. I've started doing this about a year or so ago and it has greatly reduced the number of solicititions that I get.

New Poster

I totally agree with what everyone else is saying about blocked calls; however the person getting several calls from a 800 service, I can relate. But I happened to pick up on a "800 call" the other day and it was my doctors office (automated line) reminding me about an upcoming appointment. So not all 800#'s are solicitors. I hate those just as much as anyone but if ligitamate callers are going thru as 800#'s it's going to be difficult to know.

New Poster

You can now block over 25 callers on your block call list instead of 12.

If you are getting more than 25 numbers calling I suggest you change your phone number in order for it to stop.

New Poster

rsc1958 wrote:

I totally agree with what everyone else is saying about blocked calls; however the person getting several calls from a 800 service, I can relate. But I happened to pick up on a "800 call" the other day and it was my doctors office (automated line) reminding me about an upcoming appointment. So not all 800#'s are solicitors. I hate those just as much as anyone but if ligitamate callers are going thru as 800#'s it's going to be difficult to know.

That's sage advice. I primarily "fax" those with a name or from an unfamiliar code. I frequently will do a reverse search on the number later and try to determine if it is a legitimate caller. I haven't found one yet, but it could happen. I've always felt that if it was that important, they should be willing to take the time to leave a message. Maybe I'm just "old school"?

Highlighted
New Poster

@nike18mn wrote:

You can now block over 25 callers on your block call list instead of 12.

If you are getting more than 25 numbers calling I suggest you change your phone number in order for it to stop.

I wasn't aware of that. I'll have to try it. Thanks for the post!

New Poster

Keisha, thanks so much for this info.  It really helps

New Poster

Blocking incoming text messages

I can block phone call with no problem using the *60 feature.  The problem I am facing that it will not block the incoming text messages.  If a phone number needs to be blocked, it should also allow the same with incoming texts from that same number that is blocked.  Am I doing something wrong, as I am tired of receiving numerous texts from the same number I blocked for voice.  Please advise.

Frequent Visitor

lfolger:   I second your opinion that if it's all that important they'll leave a message. Almost all of these 800 calls are hang ups. I'm not completely sure how these automated systems work, but I think someone's voice actually saying "hello" triggers someone to respond.  I've answered some of these calls and said nothing and they eventually go to a busy signal.  The Do Not Call dot gov guidelines exclude organizations that one has done business with.  I guess you are required to specifically ask them to remove your number from their records if you don't want them calling.

New Poster

Re: Blocking incoming text messages

Does someone have any suggestions to my original post be low?
New Poster

What is going on here is that Comcast works WITH the spam callers.  They do this indirectly perhaps but in any case spam calls are a PROFIT CENTER for Comcast.  We get to block 25 numbers at no extra charge.  Above that, for making a simple entry into a database, we have to pay Comcast.  Therefore, Comcast benefits from spam calls while we, their supposed customers, suffer and pay.

If Comcast has actual customer service they would pick up on the sudden appearance of spam calls to their customers and would automatically block any number recognized as spam.  Spammers would find it useless to try to spam Comcast customers.  If you wish to opt out of this service you could.  Or, we could be allowed to opt into the service.

There's the issue.  The service would not profit Comcast.  Therefore the obvious will never happen.

New Poster

The latest robocall to me was my own Comcast phone number on the caller ID calling the same Comcast phone number so now you have to block your own number that you pay Comcast for.     :-)

Expert

@NotYouMe wrote:

The latest robocall to me was my own Comcast phone number on the caller ID calling the same Comcast phone number so now you have to block your own number that you pay Comcast for.     :-)

SPOOFERS ( nefarious marketing companies ) usually "spoof" the number they are calling by presenting it in thier IDsystems as the number they are calling from.... it is a common practice...  I have always blocked my own numebr from calling me....  how else could I call myself with my number????

-=Ray=-

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

I love Comcast and I love the idea of being able to block calls. I, like all the million other
Comcast users, would love to be able to block more than 12. I am on the DNC list, but still get calls at all hours of the day and night, sometimes as early at 6:30 AM!!

Comcast is expensive, and I would love to be able to block more than 12 numbers. Why is this suggestion not being implemented for all your loyal customers?

Thank you.

Jeanine A.

Frequent Visitor

JJDQ,  Where are you located?  I'm in the Monterey Bay area of California and I can block 25 numbers.

Frequent Visitor

But ComCast blocking will not let you block your own phone number though I haven't tried forwarding it.

Dave G

New Poster

Forward the calls to Comcast is a tempting thought.

New Poster

How do I unblock a phone number from the screening

Frequent Visitor

When you are logged into your e-mail, you will see a menu across the top of the page.  If you go into your "preferences" and then pick voice, and then pick "Call Blocking" you will see a list of the phone numbers you have blocked.  To the right is an "X". If you click on that "X" it will delete the selected phone number.

Regular Visitor

My original post was #8, now 2 years later same issue exists...Do you think Comcast cares about this?

Yes, Comcast upped the limit to EXACTLY 25 so what. The person above that suggested changing numbers if you need more than 25 is out of touch. I wanted to say "Stupid".

These companies that call use machines to change numbers very rapidly. 25 is not enough. Unlimited is best.

Also, dont be fooled by claims to the contrary, many of these calls get through because of backdoor agreements Comcast has with these companies.

Why else would I receive caller id's that say 00000 or Unavailable. I have turned on the "Block Anonymous Callers. Everything that is not a proper caller ID phone number should be blocked.

EVERYTHING!

Yet calls get through...why?

New Poster

Blocking calls 12 or 12000 if we have caller id which most of us do then my suggestion is don't answer the call. mute the ringer and don't answer. if you see its from someone you wish to talk to answer. problem solved, at least for me I have no problem with not answering a unwanted call.

Contributor

You have not gotten enuff calls yet.  Eventually you will. I do admire your technique though.

New Poster

I bought a panasonic kx-tga470 cordless phone set just for this purpose.  It will block up to 30 numbers.  The only disadvasntage is that the phone will ring once before blocking it.  Most callers will remove you from their list after they get the "Blocking message".  You can add or delete numbers easily.  This phone pays for itself in my view.

Frequent Visitor

This is simply not true. The worst offenders are calls from "unknown" and "unavailable," which Comcast does not allow me to block. It is outrageous. Here's the log from the latest one - please note the time it came in: 1:45 AM -- i.e, in the middle of the night!

Not Available
     +45785210025

I pay for this service. I demand the ability to block unwanted calls, from any source, without restriction!

Contributor

Why, pray tell, is it so difficult to get into the call blocking menu these days? I have better luck on the lottery than getting into the menu. Nearly every time, all it does is spin in a circle and say "loading", but it never does. On a lucky day when I do get in, I can enter only one number and then it just says "saving...saving....saving..." with no way to enter another number. Luckily, it does save the one number you enter. Then its back to the lottery. Whats up with this???

ron. Smiley Sad

Frequent Visitor

I just wanted to thank ComCast for the wonderful job they did on deleting/wiping out my call blocking list last week. Now I can start all over again.

Thank You ComCast!!!

Dave G

New Poster

comcast now allows you to screen 25 numbers.  They should allow an unlimited amount.

New Poster

Comcast is frustrating with their limited desire to address this.

On a gamble, tried this and it does work pretty well.  If a call does get through, just hit the 'easy' button to add it to the blocked call list.  The silence is so golden it's almost deafening ... Smiley Happy

I did have to reactivate the 'block private' numbers since I have friends with unlisted numbers and they're good enough friends that I probably shouldn't ignore them.  And it does seem to sniff out spoofed Caller ID as well as numbers that used to show my own phone number as the caller id no longer call.

Call Blocker Model V202

The site is pretty scammy looking but it does seem to work.  $85 is a bit steep for technology that shouldn't be more than $15 but I guess they're making hay while they can.