Community Forum

Blocking calls

New Poster

Re: Blocking calls

Until I realized there was a way you could block the calls through Comcast I entered the name and phone number into my directory as I do our friends and family only I also added DO NOT ANSWER.  That way whenever I received the call I knew it was from them.  They are harrassing me every day twice a day at least.  I just entered their number into the Comcast block so I'll see how that works.  What really ticked me off was when I asked these people to please take me off their list the woman just laughed at me.  That to me is just plain harrassment.

Regular Visitor

I've posed the question to comcast support every time I call them, for any reason.

The response I get, is "I will pass the information along, usually if we get enough complaints, they will make a change"

I suggest everyone call tech support and report a "problem" with your phone service - problem being, you can't block phone numbers you want to.

I would start with an invalid number (000-000-0000 is a favorite), any invalid caller ID (V2138967650034 is no one I want to talk to) and allow me to block anything from "800 Service"  - and you know what, I don't care if it is a charity, if they want my money so bad, they can use valid caller ID and let me know who they are.

In this day and age there is no resonable explanation as to why the limit is set to 12, the entire phone system is software based, a simple computer lookup would work fine.

maybe if they start getting a flood of customers calling with a "problem" they might start to take notice...never looks good on the JD POwers report that 90% of your customers are unhappy.....

New Poster

JK Battle, I was at my wits end with a particular caller who was totally harrassing us at least twice a day, every single day.  I finally had to add them to our director so I'd know not to answer the phone.  When I threatened to report them, of course it sounded desperate and probably hilarious to them that the woman just laughed at me and the calls kept coming. 

The other night I just happened to find this site and I followed the directions and haven't had a call since then.  I'm telling you....the peace is unbelievable.  I couldn't be someone who made someone's life so miserable but there are people out there that have no problem in doing so.  Go ahead and see if it doesn't make a difference in your life.  I can understand needing more than 12 blocks but right now just the one is so worth it. 

Thank you Comcast for giving me this huge amount of peace in my life. 

New Poster

How to block a call number on my land line from cast.

Frequent Visitor

I have 12 numbers in my blocked list. I received another call that I want to block. The problem is, which of the 12 numbers do I delete in order to add the new number. It would be nice if there was a count of the number of times a blocked number has been screened by comcast since it was added to the blocked list.

Contributor

Pick up your phone and with the dial tone on, press *60 and listen to the whole thing and it will tell you how to unblock a call and a list of the numbers that you have in there.

Contributor

Hi; I also got the digitone from what I heard about it on here.  It is okay, it rings once and then hangs up on them.  You know when you got one of the calls because of the one ring.

However, I was under the impression that it would flash the red light when you received unanswered calls.

I used to have a caller i.d. box that did that and I loved it, becuase when I came in my house I immediately knew I missed a call.  I was disappointed that my digitone box doesn't do it.  The red light flashes when the phone rings but that is all. Otherwise I like it a lot.

Regular Visitor

thank you so much for this info keisha, *77 has made my life better. the phone i have is on the do not call list but still they call. much quiter now.  a relived comcast customer

New Poster

please block the following number......

630 812 2460

New Poster

please block number 630 812 2460

Contributor

Hi New Visitor.

Look back in this forum and you will see the directions.

New Poster

How do you unblock a number that is currently bocked?

Highlighted
New Poster

If I utilize the blocking calls feature, will I see that a number (or call) was blocked?  

New Poster

Actually many telemarketers use automated computer dialing systers which just dial numbers in a numerical sequence.  No one has to give them the number, they will just hit it eventually

Frequent Visitor

Thanks for expressing this so well, I have been blanketed by robocalls that are made from phones that are not in service or, more likely,  disposable phones. I think that there is nothing Comcast or anyone else can do; I have registered with Do Not Call, blocked certain numbers, reported them to the FCC Complaint website, and the calls keep coming. I would gladly pay for any phone service that can track  down or at least eliminate those scam and robo calls.

Frequent Visitor

I was plagued with  similar security system call, but they are spoofs or scams that used a legitmate company name but in fact are from Magic Jack lines or disposable phones. Don't know that there is much you can do as when one number is blocked, they just use another.

Contributor

Comcast employees responded to early posts, then they dropped out. Where'd you go Comcast? Here's a tip. If any tweeters are following this post (I'm not myself), tweet! Customer-centric companies pay attention to tweets. I work for Amazon. If my product area gets a negative tweet, I hear about it in hours. If Comcast doesn't choose to pay attention, no worries. Amazon or some other company that pays attention will will take over their spot.
Regular Contributor

I would like to see  method to  choose the message that a blocked number will hear when they dial and I have them blocked.   I would prefer the message be more  like " this number is not active" or something that does not reveal to the caller that I have purposely blocked them.   I think  there are many reasons to block callers, but its not always necessary to state to the caller that I have purposely refused to hear from them.

I choice would be nice, to record a message, or to have the message imply that the number is no longer active.  I would prefer it to be more anonymous, so the caller would be led to believe the number is inactive, so they could just stop calling and assume my phone is disconnected.

Options are really quite free when it comes to such software, so let's take advantage of them?

John

Contributor

I got this email, apparently from Comcast:

Contributor

Listen up Comcast! 

Call screening for specific numbers is useless against spams and scams. Even if 12 numbers was enough, it won't work because the scammers keep changing their numbers. 

I get several scam phone calls a day. "Do not call" is a joke to these people because, Hello!, they are crooks! The FTC laws work to keep honest businesses in line, but in this regard it is spineless and toothless.

The entities that have the power to do something about these calls are the ISPs and phone service providers. Since Comcast is a big player in both arenas, Comcast can do something about this. It's pretty easy to implement software that blocks these scams. Most of the numbers are obviously bogus. Even the ones that look honest have the same handful of recorded messages, so they can easily identified.

Comcast, if you care about your customers, do something about this. If you don't care about your customers, as you obviously do not, another company that does care about customers will take over your space. As soon as I see an alternative that works, I'm moving.

Or, wait a minute: is it that the scammers are such good customers Comcast doesn't want to alienate them?

New Poster

Dear Comcast,

The amount of spam phone calls is going up rapidly and, as you can see from this thread and others, your customers are asking you to do something about it.  Please listen and do something;  don't throw your hands up and provide paultry and inadequate solutions.  Because, your customers will go somewhere else (skype, cell phones for example).  I am considering such an alternative solution.  Here is what you can do:

* Recognize that spam calls are theft.  They are theft from your customers who pay you for a service and find that the service is being used by those who should have no legitimate right, nor are they wanted, to use the purchased service.

* Recognize that spam calls are such a disruptive issue for those that work at home, take care of the elderly, take care of small children, that is is a major issue (not a minor or medium issue).  Your response needs to be at the highest levels of Comcast that it is a policy issue.  You need to be lobbying at a governmental level to criminalize such activities and to prosecute.  But, don't depend on the government, you need to be going after these crooks.

* Recognize that email providers such as Google and Yahoo have done excellent jobs at eliminating 90% or more of spam emails.  With a concerted effort, you can do this as well (working with other telecommunications companiess too).  It should not be too hard to quickly identify the top 100 phone spam companies and prosecute them.  Especially, if you allow your customers to block spam numbers, because then you have a crowd sourced solution telling you which numbers are spammers.  You could also work with the government to find out the top 100 reported violaters of their do not call data base.

* Provide your customers what they are asking for in the interim.  We should be able to block several hundred numbers. 

Thanks,

Gary

Frequent Visitor

12 numbers to be blocked is not nearly enough. A second issue: even though "anonymous" calls are blocked the phone still rings one time. At this writing, I've just received the *14th* such call within the past 20 minutes. One, I want to know who this "Long Distance Anonymous" caller is (I know the number must be in Comcast's system) so that I can report it to the FCC, and two, I do not want to hear the phone ring when such a call comes in.

Frequent Visitor

I agree!

Regular Visitor

Thanks so much for posting the info about *60 to block calls. Hope it works!!! Thanks again!

Regular Visitor

Once my contract is up I am either going back to Vonage or ITP.  It makes no sense that when I was with Vonage 1 out of 100 calls was a telemarketer.  When I switched from Vonage to Comcast It is now like 1 out of 20 and it is either 1 o 2 types of telemarketers.  They are either from that 1 800 Service number or some company trying to sell auto warranties.  I might even go back to dish network for my TV.

Contributor

Now that you mention it, my spam rate went way up when I switched from Vonage. Time to switch back?
Regular Visitor

I do have block all anonymous calls but they still get through?!!  I could show you a screenshot of my setting and calls but your site does not support screenshotsHowever, please correct this.

Regular Contributor

can anyone point me to the " unsubscribe to this thread" setting so I don't get an email each time someone posts to this topic?

thanks much

New Poster

how to block a phone number

Contributor

Thank you! Can you please tell me how to unblock a number? Sure wish Comcast had a site with a list of how to do's. Sure would make things much easier!

New Poster

please block 6092077189

from my 609 886 1724 and 609 886.5858

Contributor

Huh?

Frequent Visitor

Comcast will do nothing.  Everyone should see that now.  Since they have moved their corporate office out of California (Comcast says it was to expensive in Calif.) we are never serviced properly, if ever.  I recently tried to call them, I was hung up on, then got them on chat, and the first person just exited out when she couldn't help, so I went back into chat,l got another person.  My problem at the time was I just needed their Domain name for my web page, which they gave me when I first set up my account.  Hadn't used it in years, but recently went in to make a change.  I was told by the second chat person they were not allowed to give that out....Their Domain name???  It was my p/w to connect my FTP to upload my work to Comcast and on line.  No go.  They NEVER helped me with blocking, and that was years ago I asked.  So I started taking this one call that was coming in 7 times each night and slowly started getting information from them.  I finally got enough and went to the better Business Beuroe (sp?)

Gave them all they needed, and they took action.  Turned out it was a big major bank,  The BBB made them stop, and had the president of the bank call and apologize to me.  Maybe I got lucky with that one, because they were stupid enough to give me the info BBB said it needed to follow up, and follow up they did!  All those people are not dealing with a full deck, so if you get the chance to get more info, then go to the BBB on line and write a complaint with the information they need to have it stopped once and for all.  I also am looking for other providers for my phone, TV and Internet.  I won't pay their exhorbant price for a service I AM NOT getting.

New Poster

People,

I would just like to point something out to some of the people.  I use to be a cable installer for Comcast and I have ran trouble calls on this "12" number limitation.  95% of the time it is some slummy house who has never paid their cable bill on time.  Not deterred by this, I proceed to look into who is calling them.  They are being pursued by bill collectors.  The magical way to block more than 12 numbers is to pay your bills on time.  I'm sure their are legit people and the problem with getting a native number is that you get all the baggage that goes along with it, but you can answer it and let them know that this number is no longer the old customer's number.

Contributor

This info is total bunk.

Contributor

Firefly, I agree, most low life people don't have land lines!

Contributor

Jason1107, you obviously don't have a comcast landline. If you honestly used to be a cable installer, I'm glad you moved on. I'd hate to have someone with your attitude come into my slummy house. You're saying if we pay our bills on time, we can block more than 12 calls?
Regular Visitor

Hi, Keisha.

(1) The Anonymous Call Rejection featrure would not block the vast and overwhelming majority of the robo/telemarketing calls I get every day, and it's not unusual for me to get three or four in a day.

(2) The calls are not threatening or harassing other than by virtue of the fact that I get them despite being on the national Do Not Call List.

(3) The Do Not Call list works, I guess, with respect to calls from legitimate companies, but these telemarketers who call me obviously don't give a rip. It's a little surprising, since you'd think they would know their calls will not be favorably received at my number, but I guess it's just not worth their while to bother with scrubbing their lists.

Furthermore, The FCC Report a Violator web page is cumbersome to use and requires entering your info from scratch each time.  After a few attempts to report these @ssholes, you think, why bother??   Enforcement of the Do Not Call list by the FCC is largely non-existent, and the FCC appears to be toothless and worthless in this respect.

By and large, therefore, with all due respect, Keisha, these three "solutions" are also largely toothless and worthless.  What is needed is the ability to block as many numbers as we want to block.  The thing I've not heard is why is there a limit or 12?  What is the REASON for a limit of 12?  Is there some sort of technological limit beyond 12 that I'm unaware of?

Regular Visitor

I'm beginning to wonder whether calling comcast customer service to complain about every telemarketer/robo call I get will do anything. I'm bneginning to wonder whether every Comcast customer calling comcast customer service to complain about every telemarketer/robo call I get will do anything.

Gold Problem Solver
Moved:

2 posts by Portlandpapou removed for violating forum posting rules.

Forum Guidelines

(which everyone should read before making his/her first post) state

Please Don't

2. Use Profanity

Please keep your posts clean. Our forums have an automated profanity filter to block out inappropriate language. Please do not circumvent it by finding colorful ways to approximate or disguise those words. If you are caught trying to bypass the filters in any way, your posting privileges may be revoked.

7. Troll or spam

Trolls are individuals who start inflammatory threads or post rude or offensive messages for the purpose of disrupting a discussion or to upset other forum participants.

8. Use Inappropriate content

Messages containing religious, racially, or sexually offensive content, profanity, insults, or other inappropriate content will be removed; the member’s posting privileges may also be revoked.

10.  Insult (flame) other Community members

We ask all members to discuss issues and disagree with other posters without resorting to or responding with insults, whether they are blatantly offensive or subtle and indirect.  Responding to an insult with an insult makes a poster as guilty of flaming as the original poster. Flaming is the act of posting messages that are deliberately hostile and insulting. These types of posts are not allowed and can result in the immediate revocation of one’s forum posting privileges.

New Poster

Comcast is a mega-technolgy company. I can not believe that they can not develop the technology to allow me to block "800 Service" calls. I am not an IT guy, but Comcast can do some awesome things with their technology - but they demonstrate a "don't care" attitude towards their customers. Being able to block 12 numbers is no solution - 800 Service numbers change each call. The National Do Not Call registry has no impact on rogue telemarketers offshore. The ill will that Comcast generates with its customer base could be greatly lessoned by a simple technology tweak to the system. Please listen to your customers - hear the frustration and annoyance in their communications. Do something.

New Poster

I would check out Vonage - I think they provide that blocking service that Comcast says they can not.

Regular Visitor

From the Vonage support pages:

You cannot block a phone number or caller from ringing your Vonage phone at this time.

To prevent callers who block their Caller ID from ringing your phone, use Anonymous Call Block. You can also use Do Not Disturb to temporarily send all incoming calls to voicemail, if voicemail is turned on. If voicemail is not turned on, a message informs the caller that you are not accepting calls.

New Poster

Comcast,

I have a suggestion. A lot of the telemarketing calls these days use caller ID spoofing with invalid phone numbers.  Your site which allows customers to enter phone numbers to block already checks for invalid phone numbers (just try to enter an invalid number and you get an error message).  Why not simply give users the option to block ALL invalid phone numbers?  No legitimate call would have a caller ID from an invalid number.  If you block ALL invalid phone numbers then I suspect you'll solve the vast majority of customer complaints.  Since you already have the invalid phone number logic built into your website, it shouldn't be too difficult to implement.

Just a suggestion.

New Poster

Why is there only limited space to block calls from unwanted solicitation?  I am so tired of getting unwanted calls and I have used  up all 12 of my blocked numbers.  I have registered with the "Do not call" government site but I don't think that has really helped.   Are there any ideas or suggestions to improve the call blocking.  thanks.

Contributor

Living alone I sometimes enjoy those type calls. I play with them, speak broken English and annoy them so they end up hanging up on me! LOL! IDepending on the mood I am in I look at the caller ID and just ignore the call... I sure wish that was the only problem I had today, live, laugh and have fun!

New Poster

We need to block some annoying phone calls and need to know how to accomplish this.

New Poster

where do I find the voice screen to make a preference choice? Is it on a xfinity website or where?

Contributor

If you have a Comcast email you can find it there. Open your email and on the top there is a grey strip, across the top, look for preference. Open preference and you will see voice. Click on voice and you will see call block. Hope this helps you!

Regular Visitor

I switched over to Comcast from Verizon, keeping my existing #. I never had anywhere near this amount of annoying phone calls until I switched over to Comcast, It's my belief that they are the ones who make your phone # available to these parasites which to me makes Comcast one in the same. Then they have the audacity to allow you to only block 12 of them. THEY COULD MAKE IT 24, AND FOR ME THAT WOULD NOT BE ENOUGH. The no call list is a joke. Everything is run by the big corporations including the government. Just look at the amount of junk mail you receive. A trash can for a mailbox is not big enough.Maybe if all Comcast customers called Comcast at least 3 times a day with a canned complaint message it would tie up there switchboard to the point that they might listen if not then we cancel the service.